Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    1980 Corvette

1980 C3 Corvette to LS2/T56

I bought an 80 4-speed for a body off restoration and decided to go LSx with the restomod. I have a 2006 GTO LS2 and T56 dropout from Cleveland Pick-a-part. This included the engine accessories, petals with DBW accelerator, computer, engine harness, MAF, O2 sensors, tranny and motor mounts, drive shaft, electric fans, fuel pump, and gauges from the car. This seems to be unique as the GTO has some different swap issues that getting an F-body swap into a C3. Since a lot of the swap parts needed are F-body and C5 parts, I decided to start a thread here for suggestions when I get stuck.

Thanks for looking.
    Mike

Red
    1980 Corvette

The documentation of progress may go slower than I planned. New members can't post links to pics?!?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a fun project. Any pics?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

We're here if you need us.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Myko View Post
    The documentation of progress may go slower than I planned. New members can't post links to pics?!?
    You just need to get a post count of 10 before posting pictures to the server. Until then, you can use a hosting service such as Photobucket. Use the IMG code to post with.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Can you stuff a T56 in a C3? There is hardly room in the tunnel for the Muncie that ours came with. Curious on this one.

Red
    1980 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Can you stuff a T56 in a C3? There is hardly room in the tunnel for the Muncie that ours came with. Curious on this one.
    It can be done without tunnel mods. There are a few of them with SBCs and LT1 T56s as well as LSx/T56 combos. I have the body off so making sure it fits will be tricky.

I still can't post pics from Photobucket via direct link or with the IMG code suggested above: The following errors occurred with your submission
    Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

Guess I'll wait til I get to 10...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Interesting -- didn't think it could be done. I assume the stock crossmember is cut out and a bolt in is used?

Red
    1980 Corvette

Yes. The crossmember for my '80 is actually bolted, not welded. I am making a new one to allow dual exhaust on each side. The GTO T56 will need a new shifter to move it forward and the driveshaft doesn't have a forward U-joint. Those are the only fitment problems... until I get to electrical stuff.

Red
    1980 Corvette

Right now I am trying to decide the best way to get fuel to the engine. I have the fuel pump from the GTO but that requires gas tank cutting/welding. The '80 has a bladder so it won't be easy. I also bought an in tank Walbro 255 pump to see if I could get it on the end of the stock assembly. It might work but I haven't seen anyone else do it so I'm reluctant. I can also buy a 1982 in-tank assembly that had a pump and replace it with the high volume pump and a return. Any ideas?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am not all that familiar with the '80, but presume that an aftermarket in-line electric pump would work just fine. This would allow you to retain the factory pickup and fuel level sender and seems to be the easiest way to plumb it.

Red
    1980 Corvette

That is the easiest way to plumb it. I could make an in tank baffle for the pickup and return to be sure the pickup wasn't dry in low fuel or cornering conditions. What are the pros and cons to placing to placing the pump and filter to the front or rear? ie. pump near tank, filter near engine; both toward tank; both toward engine? Any risk for low flow with using the stock fuel lines?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would go with the pump manufacturer's recommendations with respect to line size and placement.

Red
    1980 Corvette

I have a Walbro 255gph in tank pump. I am trying to think of a way to get the pump on the original pickup and add a baffle tray. The 1982 Corvette pickup will be the backup if I can't fabricate one myself.

Any downside to running the return line into the baffle tray to ensure it fills in low-fuel conditions? Anyone have pics or suggestions for a one piece baffle and pump system that will fit through a 3 1/2" hole in the tank?

Red
    1980 Corvette

Here are some pics of the crossmember I finished yesterday.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nicely done!

I would simply worry about the return line causing air bubbles in the fuel if you dump it right into the tray. Just like shooting water with a hose into a bucket - it may cause issues.

Red
    1980 Corvette

That is what I worry about. I was thinking about setting up a tray with an internal baffle that would separate the pickup and the return line but allow the return to fill the tray for low fuel conditions. Then someone on the other forum told me they don't have any baffle and do fine with corners and acceleration with an 1/8 of a tank. Now I wonder if it is really worth the effort.

Either way, I need to get busy and put something together. I'm worried my engine internals may rust before I get it fired up the first time!

Mike

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The tank pickup obviously worked as it was designed from the factory, so I would probably leave it alone.

I have engines that were built years ago sitting around and have had no issues with them rusting up. You can always pull the spark plugs and squirt some WD-40 into the bores, and then shoot some down the intake as well. They do make dessicant packs for storage purposes if you are really concerned about it. I think Eastwood sells them.

Jetstream Metallic Blue
    1978 Trans Am LS1

Mike,

Little late here but.....have you been to vetteworks.com? I used their fuel bucket mod in my 78 fbody. I bought it for simplicity...but ended paying someone to build a recess in the tank so it did not hit my trunk. The GM fuel bucket works great....no problems...even down below a quarter tank. The fuel bucket takes care of fuel starvation rather than tank baffling. I do not know any common daily drivers with factory tank baffling...the fuel bucket is what the car manufacters do.

If you have questions...let me know...I hope to help!

vetteworksonline

Look under "engine conversion", C3, fuel systems

Leon
    Last edited by reedld; 09-13-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nicely done, Leon. If I recall, the pickup mounts to the underside of our C3 fuel tank. No reason that can't be made to work though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information