Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

your local auto parts store...

noticed a trend lately,last month the CETA needed the idler and tensioner pulleys for the a/c belt,checked rockauto.com as usual and they were $12.00 each,called Advance because i didn't want to wait and Advance had the exact same dayco pulleys for $25.99 each...ordered from rockauto,well today i was pricing the fuel pump,rockauto has the bosch fuel pump i want for $334.00 called Advance and they want $642.99 for the exact same bosch pump.made me wonder just how much mark-up these parts houses are charging us? i mean two different parts and Advance is charging double what rockauto is for the same parts? oh yeah,my sales tax rate in Montgomery,AL is 10.00% so shipping charges are no big deal to me

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Are the warranties the same @ both places?

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i would think so,aren't warranties provided by the parts's manufacturer not the retailer?

anyway ordered the bosch pump,only $11 bucks shipping!! rockauto.com freakin' rules

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    i would think so,aren't warranties provided by the parts's manufacturer not the retailer?

anyway ordered the bosch pump,only $11 bucks shipping!! rockauto.com freakin' rules
    With advance some things are limited life time replacement..

When I got a new 3800 Camaro alt to replace the dirty factory one there it was life time on it, and the spare set of 3800 heads I got 2 years ago were too..

Both were through advance, the manufacture warranty was a little piece of paper inside the box with the part lol.. Had to mail it in..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Oh and the alt was ~300, and the heads were ~$600.. I could get both much cheaper elsewhere but the warranties are'nt always as good @ discounted prices.. Remanded stuff is hit or miss and usually their warranties reflect that.. To me a 12 month warranty means they don't stand behind their product.. Life time replacements generally seem to be all around better units.. imho SUre you may have to pay more but it sure beats walkin..imo

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

understand your point,but i feel comfortable buying a new bosch part,now if it were a cheap reman,may do something different

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    understand your point,but i feel comfortable buying a new bosch part,now if it were a cheap reman,may do something different
    I gotcha.. Now you get to have fun getting to the old one..

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

yeah,i can't wait,lol

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Ehh it's not that bad, took me 3-4 hours never having done one on a 4th gen before..

Just make sure you're low on gas.. It will make life a little easier..imo

Ray Charles blue

My local part stores suck balls.......not sure how thye got that job but all I can think is that "paper or plastic?" was out of openings.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Here in s. Fl youre lucky if you can find that one english speaking person in the place

I just have trouble finding exactly what I want anymore. Most of the auto store chain junk is universal it seems.

If you can find an older mom and pop auto store you're better off. At least that's my experience with these older cars. They tend to keep the older books around and are able to look up things the other stores can't.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I know some chain stores have catalogs for older cars, just some of the guys are too stupid or too lazy to look them up is the problem. Try talking to the store managers, they are usually a little brighter than the normal counter guys.

Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    I know some chain stores have catalogs for older cars, just some of the guys are too stupid or too lazy to look them up is the problem. Try talking to the store managers, they are usually a little brighter than the normal counter guys.
    That's what I run into. Some of the kids are helpfull, others just have no idea what I am talking about.
    The local Napa here has some middle aged guys working there that can relate exactly to some of the vintage stuff I'm looking for. Unfortunately Napa doesn't always carry what I need though. But I at least feel better that I'm not talking to a wall when I go in there

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

The old guys tend to be good but the young kids worry me. Had one ask me if it was a V8 while checking the battery a couple months ago. All I could think is seriously your looking at the engine and cant tell its a V8.

But i'm like Smittro I look at the warrenty when buying parts also. If its a lifetime warrenty Ill usually pay more unless the price difference is just rediculous.

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

Ran into a good guy at my local Advance today. Finshing the tear down of my engine to build it back up and the final piece to remove was the stock timing gear on the crankshaft. The pulley was already off but none of the pullers I own would grip the timing gear. I was looking for a puller and the guy came over and said why didn't I just take home a loaner instead of spending money on one. Took it home - about 2 minutes of work - put it back in the box - headed back to Advance to get my deposit refunded. Great service as he could have sold me a puller and made some cash for his store - he's the manager.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    i work at advance and we have those catalogs your talking about but some times its harder than you or others may think to find which book you need and where it is! and its even better when you and others in the store(managers) spend an hour trying to find the exact part the person needs, then they say thanks and you never see them again, the problem with these catalogs is that they teach you to look everything up on the computers and nothing about the books. pretty much the "younger" guys(as you call them) need to teach them selfs...

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    The old guys tend to be good but the young kids worry me. Had one ask me if it was a V8 while checking the battery a couple months ago. All I could think is seriously your looking at the engine and cant tell its a V8.

now that is bad he is under the hood looking at the car and asks if its a V8? i would have to say they will almost higher anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    i work at advance and we have those catalogs your talking about but some times its harder than you or others may think to find which book you need and where it is! and its even better when you and others in the store(managers) spend an hour trying to find the exact part the person needs, then they say thanks and you never see them again, the problem with these catalogs is that they teach you to look everything up on the computers and nothing about the books. pretty much the "younger" guys(as you call them) need to teach them selfs...
    Yep, the bottom line is most of the parts store suck anymore. Computers aren't worth a damn, the info stored in them generally doesn't go back very far. 9 times out of 10 most of the stores don't stock much either,,,even stuff for cars that are only 5 years old it seems you have to order it.
    If I had to order something I may as well do it online anymore. At least I can spend all the time I need to make sure I get the right part, since the parts guys don't want to spend the time doing it.
    I really prefer to buy local at a store, and keep my money in town,,,but it's getting harder to do.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Rockauto.com ftw,just bought a Goodyear gatorback a/c belt for $5.44.ships quick too,ordered tuesday afternoon here today.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yep, the bottom line is most of the parts store suck anymore. Computers aren't worth a damn, the info stored in them generally doesn't go back very far. 9 times out of 10 most of the stores don't stock much either,,,even stuff for cars that are only 5 years old it seems you have to order it.
    If I had to order something I may as well do it online anymore. At least I can spend all the time I need to make sure I get the right part, since the parts guys don't want to spend the time doing it.
    I really prefer to buy local at a store, and keep my money in town,,,but it's getting harder to do.
    atleast most of the parts u were to order at advance "most" of the time you can get it next day! but i prefer online over the store anyways and i work there

Thread Information