Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black
    2000 Z28

Meziere Electric Water Pump

I installed a new Meziere pump onto my LS1 and right after install I took it out for a spin. The lack of parasitic loss made for a much faster reving engine and I definetly felt the power go up. I'm not sure how much power the pump reclaims (+/- 10-12hp) but it was money well spent, specially since it pumps at an astonishing 55 GPM! Imagine sitting on stop and go traffic with your A/C running full blast while others are overheating. Not you my friend, you're constantly pumping 55 GPM! And I don't run a thermostat so its even better!

Here is the site:
    http://www.meziere.com/searchresult.aspx?p=1&k=WP319

green
    94 z28

I've heard good things about it, but I've also heard just as much bad. So anything negative about it that you found or think others would not like?

Black
    2000 Z28

The only negative I can think of was during install where I had to grind my throdle linkage so it would clear the upper water return; that was easy and it inspired me to also grind the throdle stop so it was an ok experience. The ONLY thing I've heard is that it has a limited life. Well, if you think about that for a minute, everything has a limited life hence why I had to replace my stock pump. Also, take into consideration that when or if the electric pump goes out, all you have to replace is the electric motor, NOT the whole unit, AND, you can do it in about 20 minutes. Sure, you'll have order it and wait but you would have to do the same if it was the regular pump, and it would be a much longer and involved install.
    If you're remotely thinking about getting one, do it. You will be happy when you feel the extra power your old pump was robbing from you.

pewter
    ws6

hmm about to buy one

Black
    2000 Z28

You'll be happy.

How many hours are they rating those things now????

My only hang up is no warning when it dies. At least a mechanical pump will start leaking out the weep hole. The electric pump can just quit all together

Changing either one is not that big of a deal to me. I'm not to sure I like the idea of having to order water pump parts either when I can hit any local parts store or GM and pickup the mechanical pump without waiting.

I hate dealing with summit, jegs and waiting around, then getting raped on handling charges. Generally on a daily driver if I can't get wear and tear parts at a local store easily enough, then I don't want it on my car.

Most people get about a year,,,maybe 2 years out of those electric water pumps on there daily drivers. Thats not that great considering the price,,,,hell some of my cars are 30 years old and still sporting their original mechanical water pumps,,,and working just fine

Keep tabs on it and report back how you like it 6 months from now.

black
    2002 WS6

Two things about this, forst electric pumps are more intended for week end hot rods, race cars and general low milage driven vehicles, Second by not running a t-stat you really are not gaining anything and possibly doing more harm then good on a DD. They not only regulate temp but flow. So good for you for flowing 55GPM but it does you no good if the water is moving too fast pick up any heat or get rid of it.

What are your temperatures anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Two things about this, forst electric pumps are more intended for week end hot rods, race cars and general low milage driven vehicles, Second by not running a t-stat you really are not gaining anything and possibly doing more harm then good on a DD. They not only regulate temp but flow. So good for you for flowing 55GPM but it does you no good if the water is moving too fast pick up any heat or get rid of it.

What are your temperatures anyways?
    Yep, I had one on a race car that we had. It worked fine of course, but the car only ran 1/4 mile at a time only on the weekends. And even that was only 4-5 months out of the year. After 2 years of racing I sold the car and the pump was working fine, but then again it hardly had any run time on it.

Just as you described about weekend hotrods. That wouldn't bother me so much. But a daily driver, that we also take 2,000 miles accross country,,,,,no way. I don't need to be stranded 2,000 miles from home needing a specialized water pump that the local store won't carry.

Black
    2000 Z28

Cool

I didn't think this would turn into a pissing contest but in any case, questions and comments deserve answers and counter comments right? So here we go...

I emailed Meziere Enterprises and got a reply from Mr. Don Meziere himself who stated: "We offer a two year, unlimited mileage warranty. The motors we have tested have gone about 3000 hours."
    3000 Hours...keep that number in the back of your head for the next few paragraphs.

Firebirdjones - "But a daily driver, that we also take 2,000 miles accross country,,,,,no way. I don't need to be stranded 2,000 miles from home". How often do you make these 2,000 mile cross country trips? Giving you the benefit of the doubt, a 2000 mile trip would take about 48 hours adding stops, etc. You would have to make about 62, 2000 mile trips to reach that 3000 hour mark for the pump. That's a lot of driving if you ask me. Also, you must be VERY lucky to have shops that carry LS1 parts, major parts that is. When my pump died, every shop I went to in town had to order it. I ordered mine straight from Meziere with over night shipping, sure, expensive but I got it. It would have been almost as expensive to have the factory pump shipped over night.

Orcus79 - "electric pumps are more intended for week end hot rods, race cars and general low milage driven vehicles".
    Show me a rule book that states that, some manual, a reference, something. Low mileage driven vehicles - lets do some math. I drive 50 miles a day to and from work Monday through Friday, 10 miles to and from the gym 4 days a week and then the random trips to the store, etc. So lets say I drive my car about 300 miles a week, that equates to about 12.5 hours a week taking into account the actual time it takes me to get to work, the gym and random trips. Lets go one further and round that up to 15 hours a week, multiply by 4 to get my monthly average driving hours (60), now times 12 to get my annual of 720 hours and finally times 4 to get 2880 hours or about 4 years of service. Not bad for a high performance unit.

Temperatures you ask? Well, let me tell you where I live first - dead smack central California where summers reach an average of 110 and even at that high temp, my LS1 still runs at a very easy 150-160, nice huh?

Oh, Mr. firebirdjones, I've been running my pump for over 10 months now. No problems, no leaks, more power, much cooler.

So in conclusion, sure an electric pump may not last 30 years but neither do tires, belts, plugs, etc, etc. If tires lasted 30 years, we'd be in tire heaven but that's not the case. Do super high performance tires last 4 years? not quite but they do their job and do it well helping you win street race after track race all while keeping you safe right? Well, this Meziere electric pump is what makes the difference on the street, track or when I'm cruising by you when you're overheated on the side of the road. Not that you would be, afterall, you do drive the bullet proof LS1 right?

Cheers.

Um,,,,ya,,,,okay,,,goodluck with that

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

wooooo - Is there more to come -- - - popcorn please

Black
    2000 Z28

No, I think we're done with the pissing contest. This post wasn't supposed to become a pissing contest but merely an informative post about products we've used, etc. I think that if one is going to comment on a product's performance, please have some data to back it up. This post was about the Meziere pump, not Jegs or any other brand. All products are not created equal.
    At the end of the day, everyone is allowed their own opinion but if you have an opinion about a product, please make sure it is a smart, well informed one. Hopefully you've used the product you're commenting about. Like me, I prefer BFGoodrich over Goodyear; I've used both brands and I know which performs better and lasts longer - IN MY OPINION!
    but I will not bash you for using the other brand, its your preference, not mine.

Cheers.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I'll just say right now that everyone in this thread knocking that pump must have no experience with it. They may have experience with some electric pump, but not this one. I used to feel the same exact way too. Their street pump is just that; a street pump. People talking abotu race cars... they have a race pump too, and that's not what the discussion is on.

Factory pumps can fail without weeping or giving any sign, the impeller can fail and you can't tell at all until the pump is off what is really going on.

I'm in an F-body club with 30+ VERY active members and lots of guys have been sporting those pumps for the last 3 years that I have known them without issue, except cooler temps, especially around idle.

I know I was skeptical too until seeing the same pump on so many cars and seeing it working so well. I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend it and I'd say his motor life estimate is very conservative as well. A lot of this is old-school mentality. Just over 10 years ago you *HAD* to ditch that computer and get a carb to run fast, and that's what all of the older racers would swear to. For some extra $$, they should make a brushless version. It'd move even more water and the motor's life span would increase x5 or more

I don't sell them or work for the company, this is just an honest reflection of the cars that I have seen and tuned that run them. I also want the people reading this to get as accurate of a depiction as possible.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I have had absolutely no problem with mine so far, but its only been a year. It works great and my running temp is less than 200 deg F. Made pretty good power for just a bolt on when done with an underdrive pulley. I would reccomend getting one, its alittle on the pricey side but it should out last the life of the car.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I dont see where Firebirdjones was bashing anything or turning it into a "pissing contest". He was just giving his opinion on why he personally wouldnt go with an electric pump. You guys need to lighten up a little.

Black
    2000 Z28

Frost and xzaero0, thanks for your support. LETHAxLS1, if you read the post, you'll read a little bit of bashing in there although it was empty bashing since Meziere was NEVER mentioned. It was a bad experience by someone who used another brand.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I read the posts and I dont see anything but someone giving their opinion.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

A friend of mine has one on his GTP. Well over 4yrs old and well into the 60k mile range as a DD. Pretty stout little car and has had no problems with it. I figured that if it worked well for him I would try the same.

In Realitiy prolly only gonna get mabey 4-8hp reclaimed from it...but it does rev faster...

I'm not saying that there isnt legit negative feed back on them. If you look I'm sure you could and prolly will find some. I have had only good luck with it so far, but then again I havent had it that long. From time to time everyone makes a bad part here and there and some dont and wont last as long as others (I work in Manufacturing I know this), I had ab 86 firebird with a 2.8 liter that had the original water pump on at 150k. 2yr warrenty is pretty good on it tho. Personally I had to wait 4 days for my local Chevy garage to find and get a Stock Water Pump Gasket. The stock water pump itself only took a day to get here. Took me 4 days to get my Electric Pump from Ebay.

If someone dosent want to run one on their own car, its their car and their decision. If someone dosent feel comfortable with trusting one or wanting to run one there maybe a good honest reason behind it.

Also I'm sure that if it wasnt wired correctly it would casue serious problems.

-Seasponge I would run a thermostat tho especially on a DD. Wouldnt running at such a cooler temp cause you to get really bad Mileage? Dosent the computer/engine run rich to keep the engine close to a specific temp?

*Everyone has there own opinion*
    *Not looking to Argue or Take sides*
    One bad thing about it is that it takes 3-5 miles for the car to reach its now normal temp from a cold start up. With the stock pump it took just about 2 miles from a cold start up, at about the same temp. Not that that really is a bad thing just alittle cold here in Nebraska sometimes.
    One good thing is that the car runs cooler at the track and at stop lights. Good from the bad it still is a plus in my opinion.

Thanks for everyones input. I was wondering what other people thought of them.

Thanks Lethal,,,,someone here understands this is just a discussion.

I didn't even read all of Seasponges response when I read the first sentence that stated, "this was going to be a pissing contest. I lost all interest in his response and simply said,,,,goodluck with that,,,,meaning if you want to argue about it be my guest. At that point I lost all interest in discussing anything with the attitudes that were taken on here.

Some of you guys need to grow up,,,,no one here was insulting anyone that I am aware of,,,the attitudes are not necessary.

And for the record seasponge,,,I have used meziere. Thought that was obvious since that is what the discussion was about....
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-03-2008 at 03:47 AM.

Black
    2000 Z28

Firebirdjones - "Keep tabs on it and report back how you like it 6 months from now." Maybe I saw that statement as a little on the sarcastic side. Whatever the case, no one here needs to "grow up", if name calling had started then yes, that would have been unnecessary.
    I didn't know you had used a Meziere pump before till now so I'm sorry you had a bad experience with it. I'm happy with mine. Lets end the discussion here as we're now starting to sound like political candidates!

xzaero0 - as to how the computer reacts to a cooler engine, I'm not exactly sure. When I spoke to the guys at Meziere, they told me that in warmer states such as California, a thermostat was really optional and that it doesn't harm anything. Here in the central valley, it does get quite cold in the winter and so before next winter, I will be installing on in there but once I move back to San Diego, it comes out.

Thread Information