Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Question LT1 Dynomax 'Catback' system

Stock LT1, Stock manifolds, Y pipe and intake minus a K&N Filter. Went through the local shop for the Dynomax Super-Turbo "Catback" system. (the reason why i "" the catback will come later). So I ordered it up, 355.10 in my hands, no big deal. The package arrives in a nice, tidy little 3' tall, 6" deep, 12" wide box. Hmm, seems strange. Dynomax seems to want to call their 'catback' system a muffler, two tailpipes and two SS tips. *grumbles* So its really not a true catback, its more of a muffler-back system. Regardless, I took it home and installed it. The parts fit great and everything they sent was in good shape, the tips I found to be really nice compared to the stockers (dual/duals with a brushed stainless finish, slash cut). Get it all lined up nice and tightened down, lower the car to the ground and started it up. What the...not much difference from stock at idle! Kind of depressing, really. So I gave it a little rev or three, what the, still pretty quiet! The dynomax kit sounds a bit deeper and throatier than stock, but the volume wasn't there that I was expecting. I took it for a drive tonight, and the sound inside the car was appealing, not very loud or droning at all, but rather nice until about 2 grand when you could really hear the difference, then it smoothed out again after about 3 grand and from there up you hear the motor over the exhaust tone. All in all I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10 rating, reason being 1 point off for not being a true catback, and the other half-point for not being much louder than stock.

For the price I'm not sure if you can really go wrong, but when I received the shipment, I was kind of dishearted as to what I really just spent my money on. Regardless of the mis-understanding, I'm pleased with this setup. I just hope it gets louder with age.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Wait a sec. You mean from the y-pipe on back to the muffler is stock? That's alot of coin for a muffler, couple tail pipes and tips. Sounds like you made peace with yourself about it tho. I woulda sent it back cussing.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Yeah, all you get with the Dynomax "Catback" system is the muffler, two tailpipes and two tips. *nods* No Y, No Intermediate Pipe. Just a muffler and two tailpipes and two tips.

Thread Information