Black
    2004 Grand Prix GTP

Fast Toys Ram Air

There's been a lot said about Fast Toys Ram Air versus the similar Super Sucker Ram Air. FTRA is made from metal, SSRA is ABS Plastic. FTRA is somewhat more stealth. SSRA has a lower scoop that is claimed to have more of a ram air effect. FTRA is cheaper and that's the one I went with...I got a good deal on a second hand, never installed system.

Install University did a write up and I posted the link below. The install was fairly straight forward. The instructions are well written, but some of the pictures are rather dark. Color pictures are available online though. All in all it took me 4 hours, but I move slow and try to do the best job possible. There are 2 steps that it REALLY helps to have a second person helping...Removing the plastic cover over the A/C condensor and installing bolts and nuts through the scoop. I highly recommend getting help for these parts. One thing I might redo is to paint the metal with a high temp resistant paint to keep rust off, but I haven't read any complaints from rust.

On the test drive I definitely noticed more power. Especially in the mid to high end RPM range. Throttle response and the whole driving experience improved. There's a little more intake noise on the highway, but most folks here wouldn't mind at all.

One critisism of this system is that it blocks air to the radiator. Fast Toys states that the car may run 10 deg hotter. Again, I haven't heard anything about overheating, but I'd keep an eye on the temp guage. One testimonial cited having installed his FTRA 3-4 years ago on an everyday driver in Atlanta. It gets pretty hot there, so I don't expect major problems.

Another possible issue is water intake. The system was tested with a pressure wash pointed at the front of the car and the air filter remained dry. All the same, the system comes with a block off plate for quick conversion to normal operation during rain.

Very good system...excellent quality...worth the money IMO. Here's what Install University had to say....

installuniversity.com Click on tech articles

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

I have the SLP system which is very similar to the ftra and i live in florida and installed the system in the summer and noticed no temp difference at all. ive also never had any problems in the rain.

Black
    2004 Grand Prix GTP

The main difference between the SLP system and FTRA is an additional piece of metal that bolts to the top of the air dam under the car. It helps direct additional air to the airbox.

Thread Information