"Lucky" Luciano

BF Goodrich vs Nitto Drag radials - My review thoughts...

The tire sizes are 315/35/17 on 17x11 rims.

I had the BFG's for about 4k miles until I burned them out. A great tire for traction. When I had regular street tires, it was impossible to floor the car in 1st or 2nd without having wheel spin.

With the BFG's I would have wheel spin in 1st but at least now the car would move and when shifting into 2nd the speedometer would stay at the current speed instead of dropping down like 30 mph with the street tires.

The fitment was tight. It helps to have an adjustable panhard rod. I had to move the rear about 1/4" to the right. I also had to shave down the bump stops. Now the stops were not a problem when driving the car, only if you lift the car up by the body and let the rear hang down. The wheel and tire would scrape the stops. I also had to hammer in certain areas of the wheel well because of rubbing on tight turns and over certain bumps the tire would hit the fender.

My car is not lowered, so you guys that are lowered will have a problem.

Now about the Nitto's.

I just got these recently and had them mounted. I 1st noticed that the tire is narrower than the BFG's, they just fit into the wheel well. Unlike the BFG's which stuck out an additional 1/4" for the same size tire. Interesting????

They also line up even to the rim where the BGF's were wider than the rim.
    Right now traction seems to be the same but I haven't really driven on them a lot. I heat treated the tires in with 2 days of driving (about 30 miles total) before lighting them up. So far so good. I want to put more miles and more had launches before I can give a good on honest review.

Both tires handle very good. I would have to give the Nitto's a slight gain in handling over the BFG's.

Driving in the rain even when the BFG's were bald I still had traction. Let me say this, I would drive around town not on the highway or thru deep puddles and I really did not go over 50-55 mph. I'm talking here getting to the store and stuff and no fooling around.

I haven't had a chance to try the Nitto's in the rain, but I suspect with the tires being new and all I won't have much of a problem.

I'll report back as I start putting more miles on the Nitto's.
    My signature is fine thank you. I don't have trouble writing checks.

Moo cow f**k milk Demon_Speeding's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

That's a pretty comprehensive review. Most people have had one or the other. I have the Nittos, just so I could have decent traction and daily drive them with a little treadlife. They are pretty damn good in the rain, though I've heard to watch out when they get some wear on them.

SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I haven't had a chance to try the Nitto's in the rain, but I suspect with the tires being new and all I won't have much of a problem.
    Please don't go in assuming that these tires will handle in the rain like regular street tires even though they're new. I'm just trying to give you a heads up here.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I would not recommend driving with Nittos in the rain. If you have too, please be real careful and keep the speed down.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

NOT a good idea with nitto's in the rain you might as well just run on bald tires if your planning on using the nitto's in the rain

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
    Please don't go in assuming that these tires will handle in the rain like regular street tires even though they're new. I'm just trying to give you a heads up here.
    Same here man, don't want you to get hurt!

"Lucky" Luciano
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokinstorm

I can see by my statement you could come to that conclusion. I would never expect a drag radial of any type to handle like a normal street tire.

But compared to the BFG which has much less tread, I would assume (dirty word) that they would handle and grip a little better due to more tread.

Believe me, I'm not out to try and do any high speed runnig in the rain. Even when I had street tires on the car, I always drive slow in the rain.

415 RWHP + Nittos + Rain Last night = Fish Tailing around Lake Shore Drive in Chicago Last night, Not Fun... but hey, gota love my dry traction

Black
    2001 Firehawk

You guys crack me up LOL

I live in S. Fl. with a NASTY rainy season . . . you know . . . hurricanes and such.

My 315 Nitto's on 17x11 stock widened Firehawk rims are excellent in the rain.

Wider rim + wider tire + more contact patch = Reliable traction.

I have 275 BFG KDWS tires all around on the WS6; my wet-weather traction is better on the Firehawk than on my WS6.

Ofcourse, a 315 street tire would get better traction than a 315 Nitto; but don't think a Nitto is like a MT Slick in the rain boys.
    Last edited by the Dragon; 11-01-2005 at 06:11 PM.
    Christopher's Onyx Black 2001 SLP T/A Firehawk M6 #89

Bilsteins, Chrome Rims, Deck Mat, Birth Certificate, Portfolio.

S2 Heads, TSP MS3 Cam, COMPLETE Upgraded bolt-ons and LOTS of Cosmetics

Brenda's 2001 Racing Red WS6 A4

Bolt-ons.

"Lucky" Luciano
    My Conclusion on the Nittos compared to the BFG drags.

I turned my best 60' times on them 1.91. With the BFGs never broke the 1.9's. They seem to be on par with the BFGs. I'm waiting to see what there like when the tread wears down a lot more. But that won't be for awhile yet.

IMHO, the choice is up to you. If you drive your car a lot then the Nittos are the clear winner. If you don't drive that much then the BFGs are your choice.

Value wise the Nittos have the edge.

I know a lot of you will say the Nittos are better then the BFGs and vice a versa. It's like saying which is better Mustangs or F-body.

Thread Information