Black
    2000 Trans-Am

BF Goodrich KDWS review

I am working in NH, and my Trans Am is an M6 and daily driver. I figured I'd put on some quality All-Season tires, and must say these are extremely good. Granted, it hasn't snowed much, but they did very well on the dirt backroads, and poorly plowed ones of Western NH. Dry and wet traction are equally impressive. So, if you need a tire that can do it all, with our cars, the KDWS does light snow duties very well. Of course, a foot of the white stuff and you're stuck at home....
    Just my 2 cents.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

They are excellent tires. Standard equipment on the GTO. Thanks for the post.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I now have 4 of these on my car-for price-speed rating-traction in the dry -wet and snow (light stuff around here for the most part) they are amazing. I started off with 2 on the back and wore out the rest of the originals on the front. When that got too scary ( I didnt trust the front grip anymore) I bit the money bullet and got 2 more for the front. I couldn't be happier with the steering response and grip in the wet. The cornering and grip on the front gave me back a sense of security when the road gets a little slippery. The original Goodyear RS-A's were great when new but lost alot of wet traction as the miles went on. At over $230 they weren't worth buying again when I can get the KDWS for about half that. And get an amazing tire in the process.

BLACK
    2002, CAMARO Z28

I think my KDWS suck in the rain compared to the Fuzion's I had before, but everything else is better about them.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I find mine very controllable in the rain. Sure I can make them break traction, but have never had them surprise me or make me slow down because of lack of confidence.

silver
    2002 Z28 6MT

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    I am working in NH, and my Trans Am is an M6 and daily driver. I figured I'd put on some quality All-Season tires, and must say these are extremely good. Granted, it hasn't snowed much, but they did very well on the dirt backroads, and poorly plowed ones of Western NH. Dry and wet traction are equally impressive. So, if you need a tire that can do it all, with our cars, the KDWS does light snow duties very well. Of course, a foot of the white stuff and you're stuck at home....
    Just my 2 cents.
    I bought some used ones (275's) really just for 17" wheels they came with. At half tread they were decent. I ran at an NHIS open track day with a friend in an M3 and another in a mustang. On DOT race Kumho's we weren't very close in lap times. To even it out and save the race rubber I put on the KDWS's. They rocked in the dry and really didn't wear much.

After I passed a prepped 911 and pitted he came in to check out the car. His jaw hit the floor when he saw my race tires all stacked up. Not bad for all-seasons!!!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Great story!

black
    '99 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyGLHS View Post
    I bought some used ones (275's) really just for 17" wheels they came with. At half tread they were decent. I ran at an NHIS open track day with a friend in an M3 and another in a mustang. On DOT race Kumho's we weren't very close in lap times. To even it out and save the race rubber I put on the KDWS's. They rocked in the dry and really didn't wear much.

After I passed a prepped 911 and pitted he came in to check out the car. His jaw hit the floor when he saw my race tires all stacked up. Not bad for all-seasons!!!

ill second that, i think the kdws puts more rubber in contact with pavement than even the kdw's...
    i know with 100% sureity, they hook up better off the line.

Quote Originally Posted by occamaroz View Post
    I think my KDWS suck in the rain compared to the Fuzion's I had before, but everything else is better about them.
    do you mean you hydroplaned or slipped? could you elaborate? i havent had any wet problems, but i usually take it extra easy in the rain.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Mine on the GTO have been pretty decent. I'm getting ready to put new tires on it and after thinking long and hard about it I'm not replacing them with KDWS. I'll be going with Kuhmo which I've had on multiple cars and have been very happy with for a lot less money.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I believe I paid around $120 for my KDWS's. The Kumho are alot less money than that?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Locally the best deal on the KDWS I can find is $154 and the ecsta asx's are $109. That's damn near $50 a tire. I've had the asx's on 2 other cars and they're a great all season tire for the money.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Looking at web sites and catalogs it appears that you can get KDWS for $130 shipped from Summit and Tire Rack. Of course you can also get Kumho ecsta asx for $98 shipped from Tire Rack. It sounds like an impressive tire from what I'm reading and for a cheaper price. I get my tires at cost because of where I work so my experience isn't the same as most people-and I can mount and balance mine for free. I can't speak from experience about the Kumho's but the reviews are generally favorable about both tires (on Tire Rack web site).

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Just my 2 cents.
    I will agree with you there, i love my KDWS

silver
    2002 Z28 6MT

Check out this article. It gives alot of hard facts and numbers on max performance summer tires. I thought it would be good reading for us.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...the-tread.html

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

I really like the KDWS's on my gto and will replace with the same when the time comes.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyGLHS View Post
    Check out this article. It gives alot of hard facts and numbers on max performance summer tires. I thought it would be good reading for us.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...the-tread.html
    thanks, good info...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ad-page13.html

OVERALL SCORE

Goodyear: 1050.4
    Continental: 1031.9
    Yokohama: 1027.0
    Michelin: 1018.7
    Hankook: 1015.4
    Dunlop: 1002.2
    Pirelli: 1002.1
    Toyo: 999.7
    Bridgestone: 993.9
    BFGoodrich: 993.0
    Kumho: 990.7

Max points
    dry performance (x2): 600
    wet performance: 300
    price: 100
    tread wear: 100
    total possible: 1100
    Last edited by djvaly; 02-02-2007 at 07:22 AM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Of course they are talking about different models of tires in that article than the KDWS's or other comparable. But nevertheless you can see how you get what you pay for in tires like everything else in life.

midnight blue
    2001 trans am ws6

sorry but does ne one know of any good wheel tire combos for a 2001 ws6?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

ne one else sorry? This isn't IM so don't post stuff like that please. You need to think about what needs you have in term of performance and climate of the area you live at in order to answer that question. The choices are as wide as ne one can imagine.

Thread Information