Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AC Delco Batt

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

AC Delco Batt

Has anyone had any problems with thier stock AC Delco battery? I found an old thread from 2005 that had a few people complaining about thier AC Delco batt spilling acid from the positive terminal or simply giving out alltogether. Believe it or not I still have the AC Delco that came with the car in 2002.
    I am about 2 seconds away fom replacing it with an Optima Redtop just in case these batteries are prone to failure. What do you guys know about this issue??

JR.

I know two people that personally had problems with the delco leaking at the positive terminal. One got the dealer to replace it after 36K and a lot of complaining, replacement did it AGAIN 2 years later. Known issue. Mine didn't leak, but died just under 3 years.

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

Get a Duralast Gold, it is the best IMO, great long lasting dependable battery, and cheaper than Optima.

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

My AC Delco has been in my car since 2001 and it now has around 37,000 miles. It died a few weeks back and I replaced it with a Duralast Gold <--great battery. The AC Delco however does suck in my opinion because I went to school the next day and left the old Delco in the garage where the positive terminal leaked all over the garage floor.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

I still have the stock delco battery in my 01 with 63,000 miles and the car sits for 7 months through our alaskan winters. I start it only if I have to move it. Which has been only once this winter since I parked it back in september and it started fine. Also last summer the green dot reappeared again. I don't really care for it, but it isn't broke so I haven't replaced it with an optima yet.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KageSS View Post
    AC Delco Batt=SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

Yep....I had 2 to leak also..!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Mine puked it's guts out down the engine compartment and garage floor also. If you still have one in your car, my advice would be to get rid of it.

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Batt Removal

Ok guys donbt laugh but-I have never removed a car batt and reinstalled a new one before, and with all the stories about the AC Delco batt spilling/pucking everywhere I am worried about my personal safety in relation to removing this batt for the "very first time". Do I have to worry about this damn batt spilling any acid on me when I disconnect the cables. Also any tips about removing batteries would be GREATLY appreciated also.

JR.

Whoever you buy one from will R&R it for you free, usually get some $ for turning the old one in too. I always disconnect the neg cable first when removing, and connect it last when reinstalling.

Catfish for Breakfast Bobby97SS's Avatar

white
    97 SS

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Ok guys donbt laugh but-I have never removed a car batt and reinstalled a new one before, and with all the stories about the AC Delco batt spilling/pucking everywhere I am worried about my personal safety in relation to removing this batt for the "very first time". Do I have to worry about this damn batt spilling any acid on me when I disconnect the cables. Also any tips about removing batteries would be GREATLY appreciated also.

JR.
    Dont be a wus. Battery acid wont hurt you unless you drink it or put it in your eye. Will screw up a pair of jeans rite quick.
    Contributing my share to Global Warming.

z28krazy
    Has anyone had any problems with thier stock AC Delco battery? I found an old thread from 2005 that had a few people complaining about thier AC Delco batt spilling acid from the positive terminal or simply giving out alltogether. Believe it or not I still have the AC Delco that came with the car in 2002. JR.
    My AC Delco left me stranded at work on a Friday night. The positive post came off in my hand while trying to attach jumper cables to it. I temporarially replaced it with what was available.

I am about 2 seconds away fom replacing it with an Optima Redtop just in case these batteries are prone to failure. What do you guys know about this issue?? JR.
    I replaced the 'temp' battery mentioned above with an Optima and it's never given me any problems.

However, when I replaced the 'dead' AC Delco in my 2002 Silverado with an Optima in 2005, it died about two months later. The dealer where I bought it gave me a new one, with no questions asked.

Wow,,,I have been using AC delco batteries in all my GM cars for years without a hint of trouble. Use them in my chevelle, firebird, truck, nomad, monza, the iroc and the 97 Z among a few others. I get sometimes as much as 6-7 years out of them.
    I am guessing they must have had a bad batch run or something. I do know for a fact now that the AC delco batteries are made by a different manufacture now,,,and the design and appearance has changed in the last couple of months. I don't much care for the new look, but since I haven't had problems in the last 25 years with them I will stick with it I guess.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I just replaced mine, it was 5 years old w/ 22k miles. I noticed my glove box does not shut all the way anymore and the light was on, dont know if this is what killed it or not. I just wanted to get a new one, got the Die Hard Gold, and a battery charger/tender for it. I left my battery in my parents garage, I guess I should probably get it out of there if its going to puke.

Redtop Rules.

I am not a big fan of the bright colored batteries. Are the high dollar optimas and such available in black? I would rather keep the stock appearance of black batteries in my cars but wouldn't mind trying something else. Larry.

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

RE BatteryColor

Firebirdj

You can just get a optima battery cap for like 15.99$ and then choose any battery cover you wantif you dont lke the colors of the Optima. There are alot of cool designs out there as far as battery covers-got mine from www.spinnerpremiumdesigns.com. the Optima batt cap is to make the battery top flat, without the cap the batt has the 2 terminals sticking up which would make it kinda hard to place a customized batt. cover on top.

black
    2002 WS6

Have used Delco batteries for a number of years and cars with out issue. No leakage, no breakage. the only issue thier perpensity to drop dead after a number of years about 5+ has been average. Ever think that the ternimals are being over tightened hence the breakage and leakage, just putting it out there.

I did buy a optima clone through for my truck, can't remeber the brand but so far so good. I think that CCAs are too low though.

Black
    98 Trans Am

The 2 AC Delco that went bad on me leaked acid at the positive post too and etched my garage floor, and no...the post wasn't too tight. I was going to get an red top until I read the latest Consumer Reports test on batterys at the time (about a year ago. They've done another since.), and got the higher rated (no1 or 2 on the list) EverStart Maxx (made by Exide) from Wal-mart. No leaks, a VERY good warranty, and a cool looking yellow with black top and letters. Not knocking 'em...but there were quite a few that rated better (and were cheaper!) than the Optima.

Ya, I will probably stick to my stock looking AC Delco batteries unless they give me a reason to change. So far so good. I really appreciate the pics though, wish these posts had more of them in every catagory, it really helps. Larry.

two tone gray
    1987 Turbo regal

In my 87 Turbo Regal the positive side leaked all down the engine compartment and made a hell of a mess, so what did I do, install another one, I sell interstate batteries at my shop and the sales driver says that is very common with the Delco batteries, I also sell Optima which I will be installing in my T/R soon.

Ron

Thread Information