Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thinking about buying a 2014 Camaro 2SS

Hey guys. I'm seriously considering getting rid of my bird and getting a 2014 Camaro SS. So here's the deal:

About the Trans Am: I like the look and story behind the T/A alot, and am fearful that i'll miss it; however, as of right now the tire noise is deadening, the T-tops leaks, my window motors are weak, and these cars have many things that can go wrong with them at this day and age.. right now its at 60k miles and I'd like to get rid of it before the miles gets too high, and other problems begin to show their faces. I'd sell it private party for hopefully 12-14k (i hope! it's got a $3,000 sound system installed (base system in the back too), ZR1 rims, Borla Catback, BMR Springs and Eibach Shocks/struts. Paint is in perfect condition).

About the Camaro: Believe it or not, I actually like the new look of the 2014 Camaro. I'd get the 2ss, with the RS package, 6 speed manual (with hurst), in white with a black leather interior. With a 2k cash back their doing now, I can get this car for around 38k MSRP according to the website. I'd put 10-12k as a down payment and do the rest over a 3 or 5 year plan.

Personal Life: I just got a new job with TopGolf (perhaps you've heard of it?) as a server. I don't know how much they make, but I know a good server anywhere can make a good amount of money a shift. Since the Scottsdale facility is still being prepped (although we are training now), I wont know how much money I can make until June 2nd when shifts actually begin.

What do you all think..? Am I thinking rationally here? I'd obviously wait a month or two to see how much money I can make at TopGolf, but this is something I'd like to do sooner or later. Any words of advice? Thanks alot guys.

PS: Down the much-considerate road, I would like get a Borla ATAK catback for the Camaro too at some point

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

No way I'd go into debt for a near $40k car on a new job.

You'll need to wait more than a month to see how income's going to pan out.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I'm the same way in that I want things NOW.

But believe me, you don't want to be saddled with a huge payment and then afterwards realize you hate this new job.

If you can wait just a few months you will be able to get an even better deal since the 2015's will be out and they'll be looking to move the 2014 models.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Agreed

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

The 6 th gen Camaro will debut next January most likely and if you don't like them you will still be able to get a 2015 Camaro in the meantime till the 2016 comes out or a slightly used 2014.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

You're absolutely right CJrex. I'm probably just getting way ahead of myself here. And i'm exactly that way, though there are times where i'll show some patience lol.

They just changed the body this year, they're doing a revamp of the car for 2016 already? (granted its still 5th gen, but still) Raynor139 that actually should probably be my choice; buy a newly used 2014 later down the road so I can avoid the taxes and all that, and get a better idea of where i'm at in life. I'd still need a car loan though.

red
    95 Z28

None of the modifications to your current car make it worth any more. To most buyers they will make the car worth less. If you want any money out of those modifications, take them off and sell them separately.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Do you own a house?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We'll be out in AZ around November again... I'd be more than happy to drive your car back home to PA.

Seriously, have you shopped for pre-owned Camaros? There are quite a few on the lots around our area. I haven't looked at them so no idea on how well they are holding their value.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Im not a fan of buying new cars...I usually try to find them with under 20,000 miles and pay less than a new one. I also agree with what was said above about getting debt with a brand new job...I would wait a little while and see how it plays out income wise and go from there instead of putting the cart before the horse.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post

They just changed the body this year, they're doing a revamp of the car for 2016 already? (granted its still 5th gen, but still) Raynor139 that actually should probably be my choice; buy a newly used 2014 later down the road so I can avoid the taxes and all that, and get a better idea of where i'm at in life. I'd still need a car loan though.
    Yep 2016 is what's on GM plans for the next gen it will be based on the same platform the Cadillac ATS is using the alpha platform. It is being figured around a 2-300 pound drop in weight. Maybe more depending on the interior materials used. Plus the new LT1 will be most likely used in it. While they did just update the exterior some the 5th gen has been around for almost decade by 2016 if u include the time which they started showing it off and teasing us with it. Time for a new body/platform. It just too heavy now especially since the new gen mustang has dropped some weight.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Yep 2016 is what's on GM plans for the next gen it will be based on the same platform the Cadillac ATS is using the alpha platform. It is being figured around a 2-300 pound drop in weight. Maybe more depending on the interior materials used. Plus the new LT1 will be most likely used in it. While they did just update the exterior some the 5th gen has been around for almost decade by 2016 if u include the time which they started showing it off and teasing us with it. Time for a new body/platform. It just too heavy now especially since the new gen mustang has dropped some weight.
    Im not a huge fan of the current interior anyway...they need to change it.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

<<me wonders if they are going to make it look like 2nd gens?

Between a 06 GTO vs the 5th Gen I'll pick the GTO everytime, now put them up against the SS and the SS wins hands down.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In thirty years of driving I have only purchased two new vehicles. Bought several wrecks to rebuild along the way and mostly pre-owned stuff. Buying my two year old Cadillac versus a new one saved me around $21,000.

Remember to keep your TOTAL car expenses (payment, insurance, fuel, maintenance) to 20% or less of your NET pay.

More than that and you'll be car poor.

A lender is always happy to lend you more than you can really afford.

Keep in mind it's just a car. No matter how much you love it, it won't love you back.

Sad thing about being older, wiser, and financially stable is that even if you can afford a brand new Corvette, you just don't care about getting one.
    Last edited by CJREX; 05-16-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Yea..... except for all the old financially stable men who are the main buyers of new corvettes and have been for decades.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

[QUOTE=CJREX;2892631]
    Keep in mind it's just a car. No matter how much you love it, it won't love you back.

blasphemy

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Remember to keep your TOTAL car expenses (payment, insurance, fuel, maintenance) to 20% or less of your NET pay.

More than that and you'll be car poor.

A lender is always happy to lend you more than you can really afford.

Sad thing about being older, wiser, and financially stable is that even if you can afford a brand new Corvette, you just don't care about getting one.
    I care and can afford one (Vette). I just hate parting with the $$$...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    Hey guys. I'm seriously considering getting rid of my bird and getting a 2014 Camaro SS. So here's the deal:

About the Trans Am: I like the look and story behind the T/A alot, and am fearful that i'll miss it; however, as of right now the tire noise is deadening, the T-tops leaks, my window motors are weak, and these cars have many things that can go wrong with them at this day and age.. right now its at 60k miles and I'd like to get rid of it before the miles gets too high, and other problems begin to show their faces. I'd sell it private party for hopefully 12-14k (i hope! it's got a $3,000 sound system installed (base system in the back too), ZR1 rims, Borla Catback, BMR Springs and Eibach Shocks/struts. Paint is in perfect condition).

About the Camaro: Believe it or not, I actually like the new look of the 2014 Camaro. I'd get the 2ss, with the RS package, 6 speed manual (with hurst), in white with a black leather interior. With a 2k cash back their doing now, I can get this car for around 38k MSRP according to the website. I'd put 10-12k as a down payment and do the rest over a 3 or 5 year plan.

Personal Life: I just got a new job with TopGolf (perhaps you've heard of it?) as a server. I don't know how much they make, but I know a good server anywhere can make a good amount of money a shift. Since the Scottsdale facility is still being prepped (although we are training now), I wont know how much money I can make until June 2nd when shifts actually begin.

What do you all think..? Am I thinking rationally here? I'd obviously wait a month or two to see how much money I can make at TopGolf, but this is something I'd like to do sooner or later. Any words of advice? Thanks alot guys.

PS: Down the much-considerate road, I would like get a Borla ATAK catback for the Camaro too at some point
    OK I am not going to talk financial here,this is about the car.

If you buy it you will love it,not to slag 4th Gens but this thing needs to be compared to something else its that different and better.

Just think of everyones wish list for the 4th Gen andl GM put it in the 5th Gen.

Big brakes,independant rear,better interior,build quality,the list goes on.

They talk about perma grin when you buy one and they are correct

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Not many people who had a 4th gen give a crap about IRS. Live axle didn't hurt the mustang sales at all. One thing they forgot to add to the wish list was looks. Yes some people liked it but it took very few peoples breath away. So much so that they had to update it 3 years later to try and fix the horrible looking rearnend mainly. The blind spots are bigger than big foots dick and the added weight of the car almost made the extra horsepower a moot point. Once again GM plans to address that with the next gen camaro.

All that being said the 4ths gens were plagued with their share of problems and we still love them and they have a huge following. I am sure the 5th gens will have a following as well because they are still good bang for buck cars but they are definately not without flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I care and can afford one (Vette). I just hate parting with the $$$...
    That's my point.

I can afford one but I don't care enough about one to actually pay for one.

[QUOTE=SMWS6TA;2892635]
    Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post

blasphemy
    I've never had a car love me back but I do think my Rx7 Turbo may have hated me.

It assuredly loved making me miserable, usually right after making me fall in love with it again.
    Last edited by CJREX; 05-16-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information