Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation Chevy Camaro ZL1 lines up against Ford Shelby GT500 on the d

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Videos, Chevrolet, Ford

Inside Line took the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, together, on a field trip: to Westminster, California where where they were both tested on the same dyno at MD Automotive, run the by same operator on the same day. In case any memories need refreshing, the specs run thusly: the ZL1 has a 6.2-liter supercharged V8 belting out 580 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 556 pound-feet of torque at 4,200 rpm, for a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds and a top speed of 184 miles per hour. The Shelby GT500 rocks up with a supercharged 5.8-liter boasting 662 hp and 631 lb-ft, for a 0-60 time of 3.7 seconds and a top speed in excess of 200 mph. Both get the power down via six-speed manual transmissions.

All things being equal, the dyno returns should have them split by something like 82 hp and 75 lb-ft. But good luck with equality, at least on this day: the Camaro charted 497 hp and 497 lb-ft, a the kind of 15 percent drop you might expect due to driveline losses, and just 11 percent of its torque sapped.

The GT500 would have none of it, charting 603 hp and 497 lb-ft. It gives up less than 10-percent of its hp, leaving an on-the-road gap of 105-hp to the ZL1, and even though it loses more torque percentage-wise, it comes out even with its rival on the (dyno) road.

This latest info gives a new round of ammo to the armchair testers until the comparos start rolling in. But as numerous folks have commented on the dyno tests, what's really important is this: this is a great time to be a car enthusiast in America. Scroll down to check out the video.Continue reading Chevy Camaro ZL1 lines up against Ford Shelby GT500 on the dyno
    Chevy Camaro ZL1 lines up against Ford Shelby GT500 on the dyno originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:45:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Damn, they are gonna have to rename the GT 500. More like the GT600 now.

And I like the looks of the mustang better to be perfectly honest. The dyno seals the deal, that's what I'd buy if I were on the market.

GM should have stuck the 427 in the ZL1 and stayed true to the name. Naturally aspirated it still wouldn't put down any better numbers but at least it's a better fit to the ZL1 heritage. The 6.2 just doesn't do it for me in that regard. Even with a power adder it's apparently way off base from the smaller ford 5.8 too.

What I'd really like to see is a track day with both cars (stock) on the same day with same driver and really see if those HP differences add up. Should see a huge MPH difference between the two granted if they both weigh close to each other. I know they are both rather hefty.

yellow
    2003 Corvette

Ok now what? I am not a Ford guy and I just plunked down my cash and got a ZL1. I have about 1200 miles on it. What is the first modification I should do to make it faster?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And I like the looks of the mustang better to be perfectly honest. The dyno seals the deal, that's what I'd buy if I were on the market.

GM should have stuck the 427 in the ZL1 and stayed true to the name. Naturally aspirated it still wouldn't put down any better numbers but at least it's a better fit to the ZL1 heritage. The 6.2 just doesn't do it for me in that regard. Even with a power adder it's apparently way off base from the smaller ford 5.8 too.

What I'd really like to see is a track day with both cars (stock) on the same day with same driver and really see if those HP differences add up. Should see a huge MPH difference between the two granted if they both weigh close to each other. I know they are both rather hefty.
    Damn i cant remember the TV program(on speed channel i think?) maybe motorweek anyway but i saw a head to head shoot-out with one driver on a road course and he liked the Camaro better/ thought it was all around better especially the suspension and steering etc.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Motortrend did a comparison of the 2, and while the Mustang is great in a straight line and has more ponies and is lighter, the Camaro won the shootout. It was a better riding car, and because of the brakes, was better and more consistent around Laguna Seca. The Mustang only beat it in ONE lap, and the brake fade happened.

Just wait till the 14 model, Camaro will have a new platform, and I think we will all be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Damn i cant remember the TV program(on speed channel i think?) maybe motorweek anyway but i saw a head to head shoot-out with one driver on a road course and he liked the Camaro better/ thought it was all around better especially the suspension and steering etc.
    Yep, but I'm not a suspension guy, don't care about IRS (had 2 vettes and that was enough) so handling and braking just doesn't play in the cards for me.

For me it's pure HP and straight line acceleration, that's all I care about, and the mustang trumped that camaro in this department. As a matter of fact the mustang takes the trophy as now being the highest HP rated production vehicle available at this point

Not to mention I just can't get past the uglyness of that thing they call a camaro It needs to loose 500 lbs. and gain another 100 hp. Then they would have something.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Motortrend did a comparison of the 2, and while the Mustang is great in a straight line and has more ponies and is lighter, the Camaro won the shootout. It was a better riding car, and because of the brakes, was better and more consistent around Laguna Seca. The Mustang only beat it in ONE lap, and the brake fade happened.

Just wait till the 14 model, Camaro will have a new platform, and I think we will all be surprised.
    Thanks for the clarification on were it was!! Being in CA, how could i forget Laguna Seca..yeah you saw the same show i did..wasnt that cool?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Yep, but I'm not a suspension guy, don't care about IRS (had 2 vettes and that was enough) so handling and braking just doesn't play in the cards for me.

For me it's pure HP and straight line acceleration, that's all I care about, and the mustang trumped that camaro in this department. As a matter of fact the mustang takes the trophy as now being the highest HP rated production vehicle available at this point

Not to mention I just can't get past the uglyness of that thing they call a camaro It needs to loose 500 lbs. and gain another 100 hp. Then they would have something.
    As much as id like to disagree with you being a Chevy fan ...I CANT because ....your right. The look of the stang is pretty scary rounded and beefy,,and i was so pissed when i heard that ..once again GM came up short in the HP race ! They seem to be always one small step behind. Like you said maybe next year or the next? but to me you can still have a good all around car if you do it right(and if you want that) with all the straight line HP you can throw at it.sure if your strictly into racing a dragster wouldnt work on a road course but as a good d/d its good to have both.
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 08-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

It needs to loose 500 lbs. and gain another 100 hp. Then they would have something.
    Hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    As much as id like to disagree with you being a Chevy fan ...I CANT because ....your right. The look of the stang is pretty scary rounded and beefy,,and i was so pissed when i heard that ..once again GM came up short in the HP race ! They seem to be always one small step behind. Like you said maybe next year or the next? but to me you can still have a good all around car if you do it right(and if you want that) with all the straight line HP you can throw at it.sure if your strictly into racing a dragster wouldnt work on a road course but as a good d/d its good to have both.
    I don't mean to sound like a Ford fan (even though I own one) I also have chevys and pontiacs. You could consider me an "everything" fan As long as it's domestic of course.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

I don't mean to sound like a Ford fan (even though I own one) I also have chevys and pontiacs. You could consider me an "everything" fan As long as it's domestic of course.
    Thats what i said one time hanging out with a bunch of Pro- Chevy fans,I said i had about three cars in mind at the time (in 2001) that were in my price range what i could get financed for.... was basically an SS-a Mustang GT-or a Honda S2000.....My car before that was an old school Datsun 280Z with baby mods So i knew i wanted to go with some American Muscle and back to were i started with GM V8`s...Luckily Chevrolet was working with me and would seal the deal...If not i would have went to Ford. I agree with what you said I like anything with a motor Im partial to Chevy`s but dont think i wouldnt sport an Enzo....

Thread Information