Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation The 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan is for drivers who value perform

Filed under: Sedan, Performance, Chevrolet, GM

The car you see above is the 2014 Chevrolet SS, and it's important both because it is the first rear-wheel-drive performance sedan from Chevy in 17 years, and because it will be the nameplate the brand uses on NASCAR tracks all across the country starting this year.

Though it wears a name as American as baseball and apple pie, the machine was actually designed and built in Australia, sharing most of its parts with the brand-new VF-model Holden Commodore. That said, the basic chassis bits are shared with other Chevrolet models like the Camaro and Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle.

While Chevrolet is happy to sell a Malibu or Impala to anyone looking for a mainstream family sedan, but the SS is reserved for buyers interested first and foremost in performance. Most sedans sold these days are front-wheel drive, which is great for everyday driving and when the weather goes bad, but the SS is instead a rear-wheel-drive vehicle aimed at enthusiasts who love to drive and who prefer speed and performance above all else.

A 6.2-liter V8 engine making an impressive 415 horsepower and 415 pound-feet of torque sends all those ponies through a six-speed automatic transmission that can either be left in Drive or controlled using paddle shifters on either side of the steering wheel. It may not be quite as fast as a Corvette, but it's certainly no slouch: Chevrolet says the sedan will get from 0-to-60 miles per hour "in about five seconds."

Large Brembo brakes bring the SS down from speed, and the forged aluminum wheels are 19-inches all around. Optimum weight distribution and various aluminum bodywork allows for a low center of gravity, which should pay dividends in the car's ride and handling.

Inside, leather seating surfaces, eight-way power front seats and a dash made from premium soft-touch materials are standard for a cabin said to fit five adults comfortably with 42 inches of front legroom and 39 inches of rear legroom. We also expect a pretty sizable trunk.

Other high-end features found inside include a nine-speaker Bose sound system, a head-up display that projects important information on the windshield in front of the driver and safety tech like Lane Departure Warning and Side Blind Zone alert. A marquee option will be Automatic Parking Assist that can parallel and right-angle park; this is the technology's first appearance on a Chevrolet.

Chevrolet has not yet indicated how much the 2014 SS sedan will cost, but it will be on sale before the end of the year. You can read more about the 2014 Chevrolet SS in the press release below.Continue reading The 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan is for drivers who value performance above all else
    The 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan is for drivers who value performance above all else originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I can't wait till we get these in our dealer... I want one.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I'm guessing its using the ls3.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Automatic Only.. PASS

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    Automatic Only.. PASS
    I just realized that too...

I guess I'll have to stick to finding a C5 or a 5th gen Camaro.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I just realized that too...

I guess I'll have to stick to finding a C5 or a 5th gen Camaro.
    I was wanting to get one of these too in a few years when the prices come down. The car does look great but an actual 6-speed is something I would want.. Swapping it from a Holden would probably be too much of a hassle as well. :/

I like it, I guess it is the competitor for the SHO ?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    I like it, I guess it is the competitor for the SHO ?
    Yes and no. The Sho is AWD and built off a FWD platform. Plus I think (hope) this will be bigger.

We shall see when it hits the road.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Price??
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

From what I hear, we'll be in the mid to upper 30's

Stryker Blue
    2009 G8 GT

Its essentially a G8 GXP with an improved interior. I really like the front seats and may have to look into swapping a set into my G8 GT. Exterior wise it seems somewhat bland to me. I was hoping for a more aggressive rear spoiler and maybe a 4th gen Camaro SS style hood scoop.

Thread Information