Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation 2015 Corvette rated at 29 MPG highway with 8-speed auto, qui

Filed under: Convertible, Coupe, Performance, Technology, Chevrolet

The Chevrolet Corvette Stingray is already one of the best performers in its class and price range, and Chevy is making it even better for the 2015 model year with the introduction of a new, eight-speed automatic to replace the previous six-speed. The updated transmission isn't exactly news, but the Bowtie brand is finally telling customers why the two extra gears are so important. Autoblog will have driving impressions of the 2015 up later today, but for now, you can snack on this delicious morsel of info as an amuse-bouche ahead of our full impressions.

The eight-speed carries an EPA-estimated rating of 29 miles per gallon highway, a 1-mpg improvement over the previous automatic, and the 16-mpg city and 20-mpg combined figures remain the same as before. According to Chevy, part of the improvement comes from a new 2.41 rear axle ratio that has the engine turning 8 percent less at 70 miles per hour. Though, Z51 models keep their 2.73 ratio at the rear.

However, it's not all about eking out slightly better economy, as the eight-speed also makes the Stingray even quicker than before. The gearbox hustles the 2015 'Vette to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds, a tenth better than with six gears. The run through the quarter mile also drops a tenth to 11.9 seconds. The boost in performance comes thanks to a more aggressive first-gear ratio than before, the company claims.

Of course, not everyone wants an automatic, even an improved one, so for those who want to row their own gears, the seven-speed manual is still available too. Scroll down to read Chevy's full announcement and look forward to our Quick Spin coming soon.Continue reading 2015 Corvette rated at 29 MPG highway with 8-speed auto, quicker to 60
    2015 Corvette rated at 29 MPG highway with 8-speed auto, quicker to 60 originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I knew more gears were coming, but I figured it would take much fewer years than it has. Driving muscle cars have always been fun, but since I've been taking long road trips periodically all my life, I like to get better than horrible highway mileage from my muscle cars. While I still prefer the fun of a MT, this AT is very tempting, especially during those unfortunate times I find myself stuck in bad traffic. You know the kind where you cannot stay in gear and are constantly in-and-out of the clutch for miles with no way out except to go with the crawling-speed flow. That's one reason I could never work one of those '9-to-5' type jobs that are the primary reason for the existence of those awful traffic jams twice a day, Monday through Friday.

Hmmm, I wonder how much fun this new AT actually is. I'll have to try one out when I get ready to purchase another muscle sports car.

Thread Information