Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

What is required...........

to convert an LS1 fbody to an LS3? Has anyone done one yet?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    to convert an LS1 fbody to an LS3? Has anyone done one yet?
    Obviously the engine, and then I think you need a new wiring harness if you wanted a true LS3 since it's drive by wire, not a cable TB. But I was told there are kits for the TB to make it cable. Other than that, I don't know, I've never seen anyone do it.

2000 Camaro B4C

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Obviously the engine, and then I think you need a new wiring harness if you wanted a true LS3 since it's drive by wire, not a cable TB. But I was told there are kits for the TB to make it cable. Other than that, I don't know, I've never seen anyone do it.
    one of my buddys has a TSP 418 LS3 in his TA, took him a long time to figure everything out. wiring harness was a must and even with the new one i know he ran into several problems with it

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Not sure if I would or not, but does the 4l60E bolt up to an LS3?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Not sure if I would or not, but does the 4l60E bolt up to an LS3?
    Not sure... there is no 4l60e used on any of the LS3 applications from what I'm seeing so far...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Not sure... there is no 4l60e used on any of the LS3 applications from what I'm seeing so far...
    I just mainly want to know if it would even be an option for me. My tranny is built, but if I would have to swap trannies as well, that would throw another wrinkle into my proposed plan.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I just mainly want to know if it would even be an option for me. My tranny is built, but if I would have to swap trannies as well, that would throw another wrinkle into my proposed plan.
    That would suck. I've been scowering GM's service info and can't find tranny bolt patterns to even compare. I have however checked around the vast interwebs:

Here is a GM High Tech write up on the swap... but for an M6
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...wap/index.html

According to everything I'm reading... it will be a bolt in. I guess the problem lies with the wiring and computer.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Y2k you are thinking the same thing i have been. I have been looking at gm's hotcam ls3 to put in my car. Its just not that cheap

98 Formula
    06 duramax

your tranny should bolt right up.....I don't know this as fact but don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Whatcha up to there P?? Very curious here.. Do I see a build thread in your future?
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    your tranny should bolt right up.....I don't know this as fact but don't see any reason why it wouldn't.
    Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    Y2k you are thinking the same thing i have been. I have been looking at gm's hotcam ls3 to put in my car. Its just not that cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Whatcha up to there P?? Very curious here.. Do I see a build thread in your future?

I don't see myself doing just a cam. If I am going to do anything to the Camaro, rearend comes first, then a whole new motor, which would hopefully be an LS3. If I get a chance to get a Vette I want, this is all a dead issue though, no more money will be spent on the Camaro. If I can't get a Vette I want, then plan B is to possibly start modding the Camaro again.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Good to know

I don't see myself doing just a cam. If I am going to do anything to the Camaro, rearend comes first, then a whole new motor, which would hopefully be an LS3. If I get a chance to get a Vette I want, this is all a dead issue though, no more money will be spent on the Camaro. If I can't get a Vette I want, then plan B is to possibly start modding the Camaro again.
    Cool! Good luck bro.. Love to see that show room beuty become a monster!

Black
    2001 Formula

it uses the same flexplate but that might not mean anything
    Last edited by ls1wallen; 09-01-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Cool! Good luck bro.. Love to see that show room beuty become a monster!
    I would be happier with a Vette and the Camaro parked in the same garage

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

I would be happier with a Vette and the Camaro parked in the same garage

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

wish i would have seen this sooner P ....the 4l60e will bolt right up to a ls3 etc....i dont know why you would want to tho ..6l80e will fit and only cost you 20ish pounds for a much better trans...anyways

to change you will need a 24 tooth reluctor wheel or run the stock 58 tooth with a adapter for the ls1 pcm. you will need a knock sensor relocators along with cam sensor relocation...running a cable TB shouldnt be a issue as long as you use a ls1 harness (99+ i believe) as all the hardware and such are there. those are the sensors that come to mind right off hand...i know Texas speed sells a conversion kit with their gen IV engines to work in a f body for 300 bucks...so it cant be that extensive.

just to let you know i have been researching the ls3 for a little over a year ...i originally wanted a ls3 427 mated to a 6l80e but now i am thinking grabbing a ls3 out of a complete engine out of a camaro or even a l99 and removing AFM... it wouldnt be that expensive...4-5k for a complete engine with low miles ....... i like your thinking P...i think when the aftermarket catches up with the rectangluar port heads and cam selection...(which should be very soon) the ls3 will become a monster and leave all other engines gen III wise in the dust

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    wish i would have seen this sooner P ....the 4l60e will bolt right up to a ls3 etc....i dont know why you would want to tho ..6l80e will fit and only cost you 20ish pounds for a much better trans...anyways

to change you will need a 24 tooth reluctor wheel or run the stock 58 tooth with a adapter for the ls1 pcm. you will need a knock sensor relocators along with cam sensor relocation...running a cable TB shouldnt be a issue as long as you use a ls1 harness (99+ i believe) as all the hardware and such are there. those are the sensors that come to mind right off hand...i know Texas speed sells a conversion kit with their gen IV engines to work in a f body for 300 bucks...so it cant be that extensive.

just to let you know i have been researching the ls3 for a little over a year ...i originally wanted a ls3 427 mated to a 6l80e but now i am thinking grabbing a ls3 out of a complete engine out of a camaro or even a l99 and removing AFM... it wouldnt be that expensive...4-5k for a complete engine with low miles ....... i like your thinking P...i think when the aftermarket catches up with the rectangluar port heads and cam selection...(which should be very soon) the ls3 will become a monster and leave all other engines gen III wise in the dust
    According to Frost it will not fit in our cars easily and the tunel would need hammered to run the cables.. Also it's a very heavy tranny. Along with the harness needing changed and so forth.. Prestons 4l60e tranny is built already.. Frost mentioned also the th400 would be a more solid choice if just looking for more strength.. I just had this very discussion with him a couple of days ago when I mentioned the same as you did in another members thread..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-02-2010 at 05:12 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Here ya go Shady.. Check out post #9..http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143377

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

According to Frost it will not fit in our cars easily and the tunel would need hammered to run the cables.. Also it's a very heavy tranny. Along with the harness needing changed and so forth.. Prestons 4l60e tranny is built already.. Frost mentioned also the th400 would be a more solid choice if just looking for more strength.. I just had this very discussion with him a couple of days ago when I mentioned the same as you did in another members thread..
    oh i never said easy i like it for the fact it is a 6 speed...and the ratios are pretty legit ..i know the 6l80e is shorter than the 4l60e ..and the bulfk of the 6l80e is in the top..so hammering would be modding...also it requires a 58 tooth reluctor wheel to function properly..in which case it would be wise to get the harness...or get the whole combo from speartech

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Could you see P taking a BFH to his baby?

Thread Information