1965 Chevy C60 tilt cab

Is the LS Right for my Project?

My project vehicle is a 1965 Chevy C60 tilt cab. It originally had an 18-foot flatbed with a liftgate that has since been removed. This is a fairly large truck with a 14,000 GVWR and 42" semi-tires, dual rear wheels on a 2-speed axle, but it only came equipped with an original 327 cu in small block mated to a 5 speed manual transmission. Doing my research, I discovered that the largest Gas engine available was a 366 cu in.

My plan is to equip this truck with a 16-foot box and convert it into a Recreational Vehicle. I have no intention of loading it down with heavy cargo other than what an RV would carry. I do not plan to tow anything. My goal for the engine is to maximize efficiency and reliability while maintaining the power to negotiate hills and other rugged terrain. I don't need a "hot rod" or to consistently exceed 65 mph.

I'm no expert as far as engine selection, so here I am checking with the gurus and those who potentially know far more than I do on the subject:

I've been looking at the LS swap since it would require the least amount of fabrication, but I don't know if these engines would be adequate when mated with their accompanied transmissions. In particular I was favoring the 6.0L L92 since I rather liked the idea of the Variable Valve Timing (VVT), and they tend to come mated to a 6L80E transmission that looks to be pretty robust and offers good overdrive.

Any information and advice would definitely be appreciated.

1965 Chevy C60 tilt cab

Quote Originally Posted by psyekl View Post
    I was favoring the 6.0L L92 since I rather liked the idea of the Variable Valve Timing (VVT)
    Since I'm not too familiar with this line of engines I did a bit more research and Wikipedia lists these under its "LS" page as the Gen III LQ4 / Gen IV LQ9 6.0L. Regardless of the designation, it's the engine used in the Hummer H2, Escalade, Silverado, Suburban, Yukon...

Ray Charles blue

We have an RV that is 28.5 feet long with two slide outs. It came with a 6.0 engine and 6 speed transmission. It does fine but I would like more power, of course.

A 6.0 and the 6 speed auto should be fine for your application but I would look to do the little things that help it make more power. Also, look at your rear gear ratio to see how low/high it is. You may not need the extra power of mods. Good luck.

1965 Chevy C60 tilt cab

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    We have an RV that is 28.5 feet long with two slide outs. It came with a 6.0 engine and 6 speed transmission. It does fine but I would like more power, of course.

A 6.0 and the 6 speed auto should be fine for your application but I would look to do the little things that help it make more power. Also, look at your rear gear ratio to see how low/high it is. You may not need the extra power of mods. Good luck.
    What MPG is the 6.0 providing? I've been hearing that 7-8mpg is average in gas RVs.

I'm perfectly willing to swap out the rear end for something different. I plan on upgrading the suspension and brakes anyhow.

A little modification is planned since I'm the type who can't leave well enough alone, though I'm only looking for practicality. I've recently come across the concept of the turbo 4.8L. This seems to put out a decent amount of torque and promises to maintain some fuel economy as well. Any ideas out there?

Thread Information