Thread: Lq9 427?

None

Question Lq9 427?

I know the LS427 is capable of reaching 427 CID, the LSX is 454 CID, other aftermarket blocks are 500+, but I have heard the LQ9 iron block can reach 427 CID.

What is the max bore & stroke for this block?

Are Patriot aluminum heads good for engines of this size?

Anyone of Ya got or built one of these?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-StreetLS427 View Post
    I know the LS427 is capable of reaching 427 CID, the LSX is 454 CID, other aftermarket blocks are 500+, but I have heard the LQ9 iron block can reach 427 CID.

you run into structural issues..if you see a 427 lq9..chances are it would fail a sonic test and eventually lead to disaster...i personally would only go to a 427 in a ls7,lsx,ls3 ..in that order .. remember the ls7 was specifically designed to be a 427 with a massive 4.125bore and a 4" stroke ..where as the ls3 has a 4.06 x 3.6" ..the lq9 stock has a 4" x 3.6" ...all lsx platforms keep that rough bore to stroke ratio... messing with that ratio to much will introduce issues in regards to clearance and such. if you want 7 liters..id get a ls7

white
    2000 Z28

the ls427 is most likely the lsx block. but the lsx block can be pushed to 454 like you mentioned. the most ive heard of on an lq9 is 408. but that is what the motor can be pushed to without compromising any strength in the block(future boost or spray purposes). i have read instances where ppl got 427 out the lq9 though but in that same thread sonic testing the block is highly recommended. not sure of the stroke or bore because its been a while. unfortunately i dont remember seeing any hp/tq #s but i havent seen the thread in about a year maybe 2. the lq9 is an awesome choice for virtually 0 install problems, the low price of them, and displacement possibilities. the heads will be dependant on the build and how you want to use the engine.

None

Exclamation

Thanks guys for the responces.

The car I am thinking about is a 1970's Ford Maverick.

Anticipated Mods will be Mustang 2 front suspension,GM TH700-4R tranny,LS2 6.0 or LS3 376 CID(heads/cam,etc unknown) carb'd with Holley 800 Double Pumper,Dana 60 rear 5.13 gear(either Ecited or Air Locker) Super Stock Leafsprings or Cal-Tracs Monoleaves, M/T ET Street 28X13.5X15, no back seat/carpet/headliner,fiberglass hood/trunk,Lexan front/back window,aluminum door panels with manual cranks, power brakes but manual steering, 6-8 point Chromoly rollcage.

I would rather have a bigger 383,396,or 427 CID LS but only it will be cost effective over an LS2 6.0 with a carb'd intake,cam & N2O.

Anyone running a wet sump oil system with a LS7?

98' trans am

Thanks guys for the responces.

The car I am thinking about is a 1970's Ford Maverick.

Anticipated Mods will be Mustang 2 front suspension,GM TH700-4R tranny,LS2 6.0 or LS3 376 CID(heads/cam,etc unknown) carb'd with Holley 800 Double Pumper,Dana 60 rear 5.13 gear(either Ecited or Air Locker) Super Stock Leafsprings or Cal-Tracs Monoleaves, M/T ET Street 28X13.5X15, no back seat/carpet/headliner,fiberglass hood/trunk,Lexan front/back window,aluminum door panels with manual cranks, power brakes but manual steering, 6-8 point Chromoly rollcage.

I would rather have a bigger 383,396,or 427 CID LS but only it will be cost effective over an LS2 6.0 with a carb'd intake,cam & N2O.

Anyone running a wet sump oil system with a LS7?
    can be done..needs the short snout crank i believe.

Black
    '05 GTO

Well they wouldn't let me make the post with a link on it. Any ways you can bore the steely to 4.065 safe. as pro street said, if you do that you'll need to stay N/A, with that you can stroke to 4.1... that brings you to 425.6 cu in. but what the h*** since we want to be old school we'll just say 427. That is what your hearing of. That is safe on a N/A engine. This sonic testing is just testing for thickness, which is why we don't go past 4.065. so your safe, The GMPP bowtie LSX block has siamesed bores (Like the old sbc 400, no coolant flow between cylinders) and can bored to 4.2 with the 4.1 stroke brings you to 454 cu. in.
    Sorry to say if you want a true 383, 396, 427, you will have to go back to GEN 1. As far as playing with bore/stroke combos, more bore=more HP more stroke=more TQ . IMO if you have a good LS experianced machinist, you will have no problems, I would also recomend ordering the parts with him, there are issues, but IMO there because people ordered the wrong parts I.E. wrong deck height pistons for stroker. so if I was to stay on this planet and had a budget I would bore the LQ9 to 4.060 and use the stocker 3.622 stroke would equal 375.13 cu. in. (which is very close to the 4.155 by 3.48 SBC377 which some would say is the father of the SBC383). Because the light car wouldn't need the extra torque and you would rev quicker. You would also save a boat load of cash. As far as heads you need to pick out your desired cam. CHP just did an LS head test that was worth the read. With a healthy cam, heads, and tune this combo would make Rambo wet his pants.
    Happy wrechin'
    Jay.
    Last edited by Jay37; 11-15-2010 at 04:05 PM.

None

Question

I want an affordable carb'd LS and am considering 3 options:

I) A 383 LS1 based stroker.

II) A 402/408/413/418 LQ4 or LQ9 based stroker.

III) A rebuilt 6.0 truck engine with forged 12.5:1 CR,ported L92 heads, a custom comp cam, Victor JR carb'd intake E-85 Holley or Proform 800 Double Pumper or 830 carb, forged 6.125 rods/std stroke crank.

Black
    '05 GTO

IMO stroker and budget never go together.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Jay37 View Post
    Well they wouldn't let me make the post with a link on it. Any ways you can bore the steely to 4.065 safe. as pro street said, if you do that you'll need to stay N/A, with that you can stroke to 4.1... that brings you to 425.6 cu in. but what the h*** since we want to be old school we'll just say 427. That is what your hearing of. That is safe on a N/A engine. This sonic testing is just testing for thickness, which is why we don't go past 4.065. so your safe, The GMPP bowtie LSX block has siamesed bores (Like the old sbc 400, no coolant flow between cylinders) and can bored to 4.2 with the 4.1 stroke brings you to 454 cu. in.
    Sorry to say if you want a true 383, 396, 427, you will have to go back to GEN 1. As far as playing with bore/stroke combos, more bore=more HP more stroke=more TQ . IMO if you have a good LS experianced machinist, you will have no problems, I would also recomend ordering the parts with him, there are issues, but IMO there because people ordered the wrong parts I.E. wrong deck height pistons for stroker. so if I was to stay on this planet and had a budget I would bore the LQ9 to 4.060 and use the stocker 3.622 stroke would equal 375.13 cu. in. (which is very close to the 4.155 by 3.48 SBC377 which some would say is the father of the SBC383). Because the light car wouldn't need the extra torque and you would rev quicker. You would also save a boat load of cash. As far as heads you need to pick out your desired cam. CHP just did an LS head test that was worth the read. With a healthy cam, heads, and tune this combo would make Rambo wet his pants.
    Happy wrechin'
    Jay.
    that was way over my head lol

but to OP good luck on the build. it sounds like its gonna take a while but it seems to be well worth it good luck

Black
    '05 GTO

Alright lol.
    The LS427 from a steel block CAN be done stroked to 4.1 and bored to 4.065 (just make sure you have a good donar block)and if you actually calcuate the displacement it comes to 425cu. in. So that is the max bore and stroke that most machinists will tell you.

Patriot has different heads they offer. So you would have to decide on a cam before you could really call your heads, that is the "brain of your engine".

I have an LQ4 I salvaged for cheap, but decided against it. because the car already has an LS2 so all I would be gaining is .065 extra bore and 80 pounds, and in a heavy goat I need all the torque I can get, so I decided on stroking to 402. and not touching the bore.

There is alot of guys who do roll with the big inch stock steel block.

Sounds like a pretty cool build man!
    Last edited by Jay37; 11-15-2010 at 04:52 PM.

98' trans am

I want an affordable carb'd LS and am considering 3 options:

I) A 383 LS1 based stroker.

II) A 402/408/413/418 LQ4 or LQ9 based stroker.

III) A rebuilt 6.0 truck engine with forged 12.5:1 CR,ported L92 heads, a custom comp cam, Victor JR carb'd intake E-85 Holley or Proform 800 Double Pumper or 830 carb, forged 6.125 rods/std stroke crank.
    strokers are far from cheap

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

You could do it with the LQ4/9 block but why? A local here has went 5.96 in the 1/8th with a 408 and one plate system.

Are you planning on using a power adder or staying N/A? These are things that would need to be looked at when determining the type/size of internals for your build.

Also, I seen the mention of purchasing heads before buying the cam. I usually do my builds in the reverse order. My builds have had custom grind cams and I bought everything for the car and then called and had someone grind a cam for my set up. Are you planning on using an "off the shelf" cam or a custom grind? That also would play a role into what your build would consist of.

None

Lightbulb

After 3 articles I have read 1) January 2011 issue of Hot Rod the E-Rod kit which allows for an LS3 to be swapped into any pre-OBII car/truck., 2) the current issue of Camaro Now a N/A 5th gen Camaro running 11.20 E/Ts with a N/A 427 LS3(12:1 CR), 3) 2007-2008 Popular Hot Rodding "The Orphan" an article about swapping an LS1 into a 1990 LX Coupe (Fox Bodied Mustang) I have decided to save to do a similar swap.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

Im actually about to get ready to start on two LS swap on two fox body mustangs myself (One will be a 370 LQ4 and one will be a 347 LS1 with a turbo). Good luck with the project!

None

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKNSS01 View Post
    Im actually about to get ready to start on two LS swap on two fox body mustangs myself (One will be a 370 LQ4 and one will be a 347 LS1 with a turbo). Good luck with the project!

Keep us posted would love to see pics of those 'Stangs.

I am about 1-5 years out but work'n my butt off to get there faster.

What is the bore & stroke on that 370 LQ4?

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

Keep us posted would love to see pics of those 'Stangs.

I am about 1-5 years out but work'n my butt off to get there faster.

What is the bore & stroke on that 370 LQ4?
    Only pics to see are two bare shells with wheels on them now. LOL!!!

I feel ya there. It akes time and money, which is getting harder and harder to come by.

A 370 is a .030 over 6.0, with a stock stroke.

blue
    2007 corvette

408 lq9 stroker is the way to go. I'm pushing 930 to the wheels. Fn beast
    got screwed by PATRIC ROBERTS from dallas for 20k .He also stole my kooks/corsa exhaust system and swapped out parts and replaced with messed up parts, picked up my car from the shop he abandoned it at in 30 diff boxes, If you live in the Dallas Texas area beware BEWARE

None

Exclamation

Have seen 413 CID strokers based on the LQ4/9.

Car Craft's current issue has a 5.3L truck motor with a carb'd intake/carb & Procharger making 644 FWHP so a 413 should build killer RWHP& RWTQ.

bleen
    2000 SS

Putting a 4.100 stroke in a standard deck takes time ,,, it took me 3 hours to clearance my cylinders for a 4.00 stroke on a stock block ,, cant imagine on a 4.100 and ive built over 300 motors so far lol..

Thread Information