Red w/stripes
    02 Camaro SS 35th Anniv.

What do you guys think???

I have a stock Ls1 engine with a s/c. Are there any benefits of increasing the displacement of motor verses leaving it stock. I want to increase boost pressure and I was thinking that if I increase the displacement that would mean I couldn't run high boost pressures, oppose to leaving the displacement the same and be able to run a lot more more boost.

The motor will have a forged bottom end either way.
    Last edited by migueelw; 09-26-2008 at 09:51 AM.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

more displacement is better, always. More displacement does not mean you can run less boost. It depends on how much power you are looking for. Stock cubic inches is fine, but if you want a little more oomph on the lower end, then more cubes will be needed. What kind of s/c are you running, i figure it's a centri, if so go for more cubes.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

You always want more boost. Going bigger cubes means you'll lose boost with your existing s/c and pulley setup. So depending on what pullies you have or what head unit you have....you'll need to step it up. You can make a ton of power on stock cubes. A forged motor can easily handle 15lbs boost and more. So basically boost is what makes power and going bigger cubes gives you more boost capability.....as long as you increase boost to keep up with the cubes. Hope all that makes sense.

If you can afford to go bigger, do it.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    You always want more boost. Going bigger cubes means you'll lose boost with your existing s/c and pulley setup. So depending on what pullies you have or what head unit you have....you'll need to step it up. You can make a ton of power on stock cubes. A forged motor can easily handle 15lbs boost and more. So basically boost is what makes power and going bigger cubes gives you more boost capability.....as long as you increase boost to keep up with the cubes. Hope all that makes sense.

ooops, forgot about that........

Red w/stripes
    02 Camaro SS 35th Anniv.

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    more displacement is better, always. More displacement does not mean you can run less boost. It depends on how much power you are looking for. Stock cubic inches is fine, but if you want a little more oomph on the lower end, then more cubes will be needed. What kind of s/c are you running, i figure it's a centri, if so go for more cubes.
    I'm running the ATI Procharger

Red w/stripes
    02 Camaro SS 35th Anniv.

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post

Thanks that give me more insight on what options I have. What are some good manufactures of forged parts?

white
    1993 gmc typhoon

a larger engine will let you make the same power without working the engine as hard as a smaller engine and at a lower boost level.

Thread Information