Black
    2002 WS6 TA

Talking Vortech V1 Strim Install on 02 TA LS1 !

I will be doing a custom install of a Vortech V1 S-trim Supercharger on my 2002 Transam WS6. This is a custom install the S-Trim is meant for a mustang, the reason I will be installing an S-trim is because it out flows the G-trim kit currently offered by vortech. The G-trim flows 750cfm as opposed to the S-trim which flows 1000cfm. I will post pictures and keep you posted of the install as it goes along!

Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar

Maroon
    2000 Z28

I still get a little twitchy when I think about when I did my install.

Drag racing...just another numbers game.

Vortech Super Charger, 9" w/4.11, 3200 Stall, BMR SFC, BMR TracPak, !MAF screen, 160 T-Stat.

Black
    2002 WS6 TA

you have the same setup? Any words of wisdom?

Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar

Maroon
    2000 Z28

No, it's not a V1 S Trim. It is a V-9 SQ G Trim with no aftercooler. It is supposed to put out 4 to 6 psi of boost. I do not have a guage, so I cannot verify that. I have a smaller pulley that is supposed to put out 7 to 9 psi. It will not go on untill I get alky-water injection kit (it's supposed to be God's gift and a cure all for superchargers).

Words of wisdom...hmmmm...good luck. It sounds like you are going down a road no one has travled before. I installed a tried, tested, and proven package for my car and it gave me grief.

I am assuming that you will mount the head unit in the same place I mounted mine. You will have to move the power steering pump reservoir. The bracket that Vortech sends you to hold the fitting on the pump itself sucks and is inadequate at best. I couldn't get mine to quit leaking...enter JB Weld. Problem solved!

A standerd balancer pulley puller will not work on an LS1. I think I used a 3 jaw puller. It's been 5 years since the install. Kinda hard to remember every thing. Installing the aftermarket balancer sucked, too. Of course, my balancer installer tool did not fit between the crank and the radiator. I made an installer out of a piece of all thread and a thrust bearing. There is no touque spec on the bolt, GM wants you to measure bolt stretch. That was my first attempt at it. Use lock tight on the bolt and make sure it's real tight.

Be carefull when you tap the threads in the oil pan. I used a few quarts of oil to flush any stray shavings out of the pan. A magnet won't help, the pan is aluminum.

I worked in auto service centers for over 13 years at the time. Mostly I was in management, but I wrenched quite a bit, too. I tried to get this project done in a short amount of time on a car that, at the time, was my only transportation. I'm sure that added to the stress level. Make sure you can take your time and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a friend help.

I do not regret doing the work myself, but I will not do it again. I'm getting too old for that.

PM sent.

Thread Information