2000 WS6 Trans Am

Vortech V-9 G Supercharger kit, help!

Part number: 4GK218-010SQ (its a discontinued item, google the part number to see what the package had).

Full kit, supercharger is a Vortech V-9 G includes all tubing with a fuel pump and injectors.

I am probably going to buy this kit for $2500 later this week.

The guy said it was made to do 5-6 psi, but can be made to do 8psi of boost with different pulleys. I only plan on running 6psi max because its a stock engine. I have heard that 5-6psi is 'safe' on a stock ls1.

How well do these Vortech V-9 G superchargers perform and last? Anyone have experience with them?

I need all the advice that I should get and what to beware of while buying it. The supercharger and everything is off the car, so I won't be able to see it run before I buy it.

Thanks a ton

pewter
    2002 ws6 trans am

I bought my gtrim used and ran it for three years with no problems. I would say check the wheel for play and check the intake and discharge tubes for excessive oil. If you going to install it yourself make sure he has the installation booklet and get it tuned as soon as you can after the install.I ran 8lbs of booost with no problem, but I would,nt go higher than that.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Very nice, I plan on running 6 lbs of boost. Also, it doesn't come with an aftercooler so that kinda sucks. How much hp/rwhp do you think will be gained from 6lbs with no aftercooler on average? I know results vary from tunes and such, but what would be reasonable?

Also is the price ($2500) reasonable/good deal for this kit?

pewter
    2002 ws6 trans am

$2500 is what I paid for mine and it was kind of beat up. So thats not bad. 75 to 100hp sounds about right.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Alright cool, any other input about rwhp gain from 6lbs of boost? The guy I'm buying it from said he went from 323 rwhp to 414 rwhp on 5 psi

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Dream View Post
    Alright cool, any other input about rwhp gain from 6lbs of boost? The guy I'm buying it from said he went from 323 rwhp to 414 rwhp on 5 psi
    Sounds about right on the HP.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Anyone know what an aftercooler will cost me? Since the kit doesn't come with one I am going to need to pick one up sometime.

pewter
    2002 ws6 trans am

They did go for about $1500 but they,re discontinued also. Sometimes they show up in the for sale section or you can fab up a front mount setup which is not a bad way to go.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Anyone know what an aftercooler will cost me? Since the kit doesn't come with one I am going to need to pick one up sometime.
    Make sure you get one

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Make sure you get one
    Ok, hopefully I will be able to. If not, it won't hurt anything will it? Just wont produce as much power consistently?

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Ok, I called vortech, and since the V-9 G kit is discontinued, they don't even make parts or sell parts at all for it. This being said, where would I go to buy pulleys to change the boost? Where would I get an aftercooler that would fit? Should I just not buy this kit and get a different one? I am really interested in this, but want to be able to get parts to put out 6# of boost plus an aftercooler for a reasonable price.

Edit: And same with a blow off valve, I would most likely need one, but I doubt they make them to fit this anymore. Where did you get yours at Hijinx?

pewter
    2002 ws6 trans am

Blow off valves and pulleys are not a big deal, you can get them at superchargersonline or even summit racing or ebay. You might have a hard time finding a intercooler setup though, like I said you might find one in the ads or do a front mount. If your only going to run 6lbs you should be ok,you could run meth injection,that would help alot.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by hijinx View Post
    Blow off valves and pulleys are not a big deal, you can get them at superchargersonline or even summit racing or ebay. You might have a hard time finding a intercooler setup though, like I said you might find one in the ads or do a front mount. If your only going to run 6lbs you should be ok,you could run meth injection,that would help alot.
    How would I do a front mount setup if I had to do that? Because so far with a lot of looking, I can't find an aftercooler for sale. And I will check out superchargersonline right now.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Does the Vortech V-9 G-trim supercharger have a 4, 6, 8, or 10 rib pulley? If 8, would http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...ber=V2A038-347 fit? I heard some pulleys don't interchange because of something. I know Hijinx has this exact supercharger setup so this is mainly all questions for him. (thanks for the help here!)

pewter
    2002 ws6 trans am

Yep, if yours is a 8 rib setup it will work. I kind of think the v9 came with 6 rib though. I,ve ordered a few pulleys and never had a problem with them fitting.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Does anyone know if I could buy a different aftercooler made by vortech and plumb it up to work with the V-9 G-trim supercharger kit? Also how much do you think this would cost me to get an aftercooler? I am looking to buy this kit tomorrow and I need to get stuff squared away.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Part number: 4GK218-010SQ (its a discontinued item, google the part number to see what the package had).

Full kit, supercharger is a Vortech V-9 G includes all tubing with a fuel pump and injectors.

I am probably going to buy this kit for $2500 later this week.

The guy said it was made to do 5-6 psi, but can be made to do 8psi of boost with different pulleys. I only plan on running 6psi max because its a stock engine. I have heard that 5-6psi is 'safe' on a stock ls1.

How well do these Vortech V-9 G superchargers perform and last? Anyone have experience with them?

I need all the advice that I should get and what to beware of while buying it. The supercharger and everything is off the car, so I won't be able to see it run before I buy it.

Thanks a ton
    Very good artical in this months(september 11) Hot Rod on putting the boost to a Stock Ls1 awsome read 26psi 1,203hp on a stock motor(some mods) hard to believe

Thread Information