Black
    1998 Trans Am

Vortech Supercharger Help

I purchased a Vortech supercharger off ebay but it seems to be missing quite a bit of stuff other than the Rex fuel pump he mentioned that it needed! I also need the resivior tank, balancer, plus more. Does anyone know a place I could get this cheaper than calling Vortech cause for the stuff is another $1000 through them?

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

That sucks! What trim is the kit and how did you pay for it?

As for the missing parts your only real option is to search the "For Sale" boards across the net and check craigslist periodically. I would honestly recommend going the xtra mile and purchasing the products new from Vortech themselves.

red
    00 z28

im having kindof the same issue my system dosnt have an id tag on it so i dont know what it is and vortech is telling me to buy a new one!?! lol anyways my cars not going anywhere until i get a rebuild kit for it and i have no idea what it is.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

It is model V-9G and I am needing to get a few items like the coolant resvior, Rex fuel pump, 42lb injectors, and a few other items. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could get these cheaper than Vortech themselves!

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

I say sell the power-cooler stuff and do a front mount ... lol ... here's what I've built in the past ...

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Do u not like the cooler cuz Vortech offers the piping to install the system without the cooler.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ghawk996 View Post
    Do u not like the cooler cuz Vortech offers the piping to install the system without the cooler.
    we didn't do back to back comparisons/etc. but it made the kit a bit simple (no water lines/etc. and pumps going everywhere) and the fact of heat soak has always made me think. I'm sure Vortech chose the cooler/etc. to be optimal for the setup but when you start pushing high numbers, it's bound to start actually being the sore thumb of the system.

Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar

Maroon
    2000 Z28

I did not like the fuel pump that came with my system. When I went to replace it (after it became intimate with my 9" during a launch) I found that the Racetionix pump was both less expensive and a better quality unit.

I am also not a fan if the cooler setup that comes with the system. You might want to consider air to air.

You might also want to consider a professional tune. The programmer that came with my system is WAY too conservative for my taste.

Anyway, good luck with your build.
    Drag racing...just another numbers game.

Vortech Super Charger, 9" w/4.11, 3200 Stall, BMR SFC, BMR TracPak, !MAF screen, 160 T-Stat.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Alright so that is two for losing the cooler does anyone else have any experience with this setup and if so I would like all the help I can get!

I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages involve with this cooler!!!!!!!!!!!

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

+1 on the inline fuel pump they use on the kit. It's just becomes a restriction even with a racetronix pump I'm the tank. once again, for a stock car running low boost, this kit should be adequate from vortech but start pushing some numbers and things need to change as mentioned. Also the kit in the pics I posted was the race version (t-trim?) and it fit nice under a ws6 hood with a little cutting to the center ridge.

That said and done, I'll give you my theory on why I prefer the air-air on a street car. Getting down to basic physics/chemistry/whatever the hell you wanna use ... lol ... anything you put power into produces heat (stating it very loosely). Bend something, it'll produce heat. Even water flowing through a hose will produce heat due to friction within itself. Vortech supplies a little radiator for the water cooler system and a pump that circulates the water. What's that pump doing? Circulating + adding a little bit of heat into the system (infinitesimal, but it's still heat). Then we have the powercooler body heating up due to the engine, the lines exposed to the engine heat, etc. and you're adding a lot of heat. Also consider the fact that it takes longer to put in and take out heat from water than air and you'll see what I'm getting at. After a while on the street you'll have hot water running through your lines and the tiny little overworked radiator in the front trying to get rid of all that heat; and the heat capacity of the water isn't helping. So we start pumping more water through the lines so we can get more out of each pass through the radiator, when infact you're also absorbing heat with every pass through the engine compartment and pump. And all that while, the powercooler is absorbing heat too! Then we get to pump failure and leaks ... eeeks!

I say get the biggest air-air cooler and a high flow intake pump (you can use a MSD pump booster for a bit more oomph) you can stuff in the front end be done with it.
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 12-17-2008 at 08:02 AM.

Thread Information