Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Twin Turbo on Long Tubes?

I'm putting full exhaust on my car right now, and I'm just tyring to figure which direction I want to take my car. I'm leaning towards TT but I really don't know yet so I'll start with the obvious concerns...
    Is it possible to put a Twin Turbo setup on Long Tube headers because I'm spending a thousand $ on a LT/ORY setup and I'll be pissed if I have to chuck it in two years because I want TT. Any help and advice is appreciated guys thanks!

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

No, unless you do a custom STS twin turbo type setup. All other twin turbo setups come with there own manifolds, or you use truck manifolds flipped around. If you are hell bent on the long tubes, go with a supercharger instead. The long tubes will compliment them and they will work good together. Otherwise, you'll just be selling your long tubes to go twin turbo later.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

yup on what anarchy said.
    I would also suggest a supercharger for you.

2000 Camaro

Go with an F1R with your longtubes.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

umm sorry kind of a newb F1R??? whats that?

2000 Camaro

It's made by Procharger.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

whats different about it as oppose to a regular pro charger? or is there no such thing as just a procharger... and thats one of the SC procharger makes or what...

2000 Camaro

It is one of their models. Like the P1SC and the D1SC more common to Fbodies.

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

But a shit load bigger, I am guessing if he doens't know the difference than the D-1 would be big enough, hell maybe the P-1 at 7psi. If you don't know these common sense things you should definitely research some more to not only save yourself money but time and headache. Not to sound like a cunt but there's allot more to FI than most people think. When you think you ahve everything, huh guess again. Good luck, it does sound like the S/C is the better choice for you too. Bolt on and go

2000 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Websy21 View Post
    But a shit load bigger, I am guessing if he doens't know the difference than the D-1 would be big enough, hell maybe the P-1 at 7psi. If you don't know these common sense things you should definitely research some more to not only save yourself money but time and headache. Not to sound like a cunt but there's allot more to FI than most people think. When you think you ahve everything, huh guess again. Good luck, it does sound like the S/C is the better choice for you too. Bolt on and go
    AMEN! definitely research your choice first. The S/C will be cheaper too but still expensive. A P1SC would be a good beginner setup but look into the D1SC setup to avoid upgrade cost. The D1 will run at low boost too. The F1 series would be too much for you right now. The big boost products require deep pockets. Every FI will run over the budget you set up usually. Plus as stated above a S/C setup like the P1 or D1 is a bolt on with a little fitment here and there. A turbo is a lot of fabrication and somethings just don't fit right. Look into a FMIC setup as well and avoid the twin intercoolers.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

I had no presumption that I know anything about this I'm a total newb so I hope I didn't give anyone that misconception. I'm here to learn thats why I want to hear every option. speaking of procharger's S/C I'm wondering I plan on ending the mods at around 500 rwhp so what would be a S/C capable of producing that on the LS1 with stock displacement?
    Along with whatever would be most suitable for that goal what would be the best heads/cam setup to go along with it.
    Last edited by Bouvers; 10-16-2007 at 07:03 PM.

2000 Camaro

A D1SC is enough for you then. Cam, not sure. Get a custom grind but ask a reputable shop for suggestions for your setup. Heads, I would look at AFR 205cc with stock displacement. Ask any questions you want. That's what the sites for and that's how you learn!

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Agree, I'm all ears but if you only want 500rwhp.......... no prob at all. EAsy actually, you jsut missed out on my deal for a brand new blower cam. Was a comp 224/228 114LSA and would work great for you. As for heads and cam, for that power level stay with stock heads and change the cam/springs, pushrods, etc. Full exhaust and the cheaper model P-1 will do the trick at 7-8psi. Now note with this model you won't have much room for improvement b/c of mostly belt slip and maxing out the head unit if it don't run into that problem, highly unlikely. Anyways, with the D-1 come a pinning kit that you have to drill/pin the crank at 8psi+ so you don't turn the balancer on your crank and fuck it up so bad you have to call the mad scientist to pull it apart and rebuild it. I can go on and on............ Get a basic blower cam like I mentioned above, great cam all round and will drive great. Will barely notice its cammed unitl you punch it. You could do the headers/exhaust right now with this cam long with the needed valvetrain upgrade and save up for the P-1/D-1 kit until you have enough dough. Like I said, as long as you can honestly say you will be happy with around 500rwhp and maybe a little more depending A4 or M6 than the P-1 with the dual intercoolers will suffice, probably eve the 3.5's but you might as well get the 4.5's. You are going to need gauges, fuel upgrades, drivetrain and suspension too. Too bad we couldn't jsut buy the kit and it stopped there. Welcome to FI, its not cheap but you get what you pay for. Research turbo's as they are even more peicing together and allot more money too but again better IMO, but not everyone's cup of tea. Good luck

2000 Camaro

Other than power do you have any other goals? 1/4 mile times? Daily driver? Ability to grow with the setup? 500 is enough now but after you have had it a while you will want more! Speed and power is a disease and there is no cure.

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Hamrhead View Post
    Other than power do you have any other goals? 1/4 mile times? Daily driver? Ability to grow with the setup? 500 is enough now but after you have had it a while you will want more! Speed and power is a disease and there is no cure.
    LOL, what do you know. Just kidding, that is so true........... more addicting than drugs......... so I hear, lol. I first started off like the poster, wanting a s/c on stock block pushing for about 500-550rwhp. Than I said well why blow up a good stock block, lets get a forged one. Than why not go bigger, ok 408 here we come. Well shy not get a turbo system, well now I need a drivetrain so its of to get a 9'' and viper spec t-56, custom sheetmetal sumped tank, braided -10an & -8an lines with external pump, etc. List go's on, where do ya stop? I also had to get a dvd/nav head unit and a stealth sub enclosure, come on you need that too, lol

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

Well you did make it sound like that one S/C was just to say adequate for the 500 rwhp mark... thats not quite what I want... I would rather overkill and run lower boost and still have room to grow if I want then just meet the bar and then fuck myself over for the long run... so keeping that in mind I also don't know it seems kind of odd that I would keep stock heads... I mean I don't know anything about it but it just seems EVERYBODY that goes up and boyond 400 hp gets new heads... please educate me on the subject...
    Also what are some big names for heads and cams... Patriot? TSP? AFR?

2000 Camaro

I use the ETP 245cc heads in my setup and am very happy. I don't know the actual limits of the D1SC but I believe you can grow past 500. Not sure how much though. Try giving Procharger a call and see what they recommend for a blower.

Red?
    2001 Z28

I would definitely stick with the turbo route. I would consider going the single turbo route over the twins, however, as it is cheaper.....much more in line with the Prochargers. In fact, at the time I bought my Turbo Technology kit and had it installed on my old LT1 car, the speed shop was also installing an ATI on another Camaro. When all was said and done, the turbo kit actually cost me slightly less than the other fellow had in his Procharger. I've run Paxtons and Prochargers, and I liked the ATI. What I will say, is, after trying the turbo, I will NEVER go back to a supercharger, especially a centrifugal, again. On the street, every time I jumped on the turbo car at lower RPMs and was rewarded with nearly instantaneous full boost, I wondered why it took me so long to switch from the centrifugal S/C to the turbo. Peak power, generally speaking, will be similar, but the turbo will produce far more average power, and MUCH more torque at lower RPMs.....making it a much more responsive street motor. As others have said, do alot of research. I just thought I'd offer you my personal viewpoint, as someone who has run both the Procharger and turbos in the past.

Thread Information