Turbos, cats, and exhuasts.

Is it possible to run a single/dual turbo setup on an 96 lt1 and retain the two catalytics in thier stock locations? or is a remote mount the only way for that to work. NJ law says no removal/relocation of cats... and they do a visual inspection.

Silver
    '02 WS6 Procharged 9psi

move to a cooler state

Paypal me the housing deposit

1999 SS

You can run it without cats, just when inspection time comes, put them back on. Thats what I plan on doing, DE is the same way. Or pay someone there or make a friend there, haha. You don't want cats with a turbo system, the best exhaust, is no exhaust, a bullet muffler would be ok for sound, but the turbo takes away a lot of sound. Are you looking for a remote mount or engine mount?
    2001 WS6 M6
    2002 Suzuki GSXR600 street/stuntbike
    Previous Cars
    2000 Z28 Hardtop M6 12.9 @ 110
    1991 Corvette A4 12.9 @ 112

Has to be remote mount, cant move the cats from stock locations, and sure itd be easy to run without but i dont want to be one of those dueschebags thats puttin all that shit into the air. nj's bad enough.

blk
    phantom marro

Have you considered the STS remote turbo system it is 100% smog legal. You can still have the stock exhaust. I live in AZ and they are pretty anal retentive. Alsmost as bad as CA. And I believe the STS will pass there inspection. I am thinking of building my car with a remote turbo.

Yea I've been doin a horde of research on the system lately... it seems under the hood just isnt an option for me, but I still see better results from the remote mount at 5psi then i do most superchargers at equal or even slightly higher. i was just readin an independant review of the sts and it seems that they designed the return intake pipe such that it fills to pressure jsut as fast as an under the hood pipe do to its diameter and bend (still not sure how that can be, but...) and they even came up with a fiill time of .005 seconds which, is basically lag free. chevy mag said it caused a 1/4 drop of a psi to run, but it dropped the temp from like 175 to 115. i'm still trying to find some numbers from traditional turbo setups and intercoolers to see just how good that is.

also like how it fits up behind the rear diff and doesnt hang down.. only thing worse in jersey then the regulations is the road quality, i scrap the front end constantly and occasioannly the tranny brackets (lowest point on my car at the momment) if i'm careless going over a speed bump.

i'd really like to hear from the few people that say stay away from sts though, a year or so ago when they came out when i was researchin superchargers i came across a horde of people saying that sts was utter crap.

relating to thise thread, i found a pic of it mounted on a trans am that retained its passenger side tips... and there was plenty of room for fabbing some false or at least partially flowing drivers side tips (i'm already used to that from my borla wide open on the passenger side) but i really thought that the under car exhuast just looked so stupid on the trans ams being as the body hit has cut outs in the rear for quads to begin with!!

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

IT seems that all of the people bitching about STS has no experience with them. Almost 100% of the people that have had experience with them absolutely love them

blk
    phantom marro

grandkodiak- Yea I saw something about the turbo kit a year ago on the net and thought it was decently priced but I had never seen a remote style before. The only reasons I wasn't sure about it was the turbo looks exposed and the air filter looks like it would always get dirty. I thought if I ever put one on I would make a skid plate under it or a small air box for the filter. And I wasn't sure about the powerband of a single turbo. I don't want a full on drag car type power I like to be able to floor it while I am cruising and it instantly go sideways. I think alot of people hated on it because it was new and it was different. People like to stick to trends and bash those who try something different. I read in a magazin where they tested one on a bone stock camaro and it had a really nice power curve not abrupt like most turbos. The torque was huge and came on strong early. The nicest thing is you can run stock exuast and headers. Bang for the buck is really good but you have to upgrade the injectors and the get the Intercooler for sure. The price then jumps from $4800 or something to like $6000 or more with all the options. But hell I would like to do it.

Thread Information