Thread: Turbo selection

Gold
    72 chevelle

Turbo selection

Has anyone used the turbo's they have on Ebay? I'm new to the turbo deal, but from when I drag raced I had the chance to see the power they make. The old chev truck I'm building would be a good candidate for a LS motor and turbo. I can fab up what I need to, but I won't have the money to do an all out build considering what it's going to cost to get this thing on the road. I've been thinking, dangerous I know, but 5.3's are a lot easier to find around here and cheaper, and with the truck manifolds I could build a pretty good set up using a decent mileage 5.3, stk bottom end, with the right cam, blow through carb, and MSD it wouldn't break the bank. Down the road I could gather up enough stuff to build something better. I could maybe come up with a good used turbo from someone that went bigger, but ebay had wastegates and other things I would need at a good price. This 1st build will be a learning experience anyway. Plus I would need a lot of help from you guys. With a single turbo, what size exh would you run since I guess it'd be a single pipe? This will be a pump gas build so is a inner cooler mandatory? Just want some good power with a build that is not the run of the mill hotrod.

White
    '10 ZR1

Intercoolers aren't mandatory, it's just really up to you what you want to accomplish. (How fast do you want to go? How much horsepower are you looking for?) What are your goals? With no intercooler, you probably wouldn't want to run much more than 5 psi - unless you added a meth injection system. With an intercooler, you can go 8 psi or so, and, again, a little more with a meth injection system.

As far as exhaust goes, I would probably go with 3".

Impounded

Red
    why dont u have a look on amazon or advance auto parts for a better advice and acquisitions

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by MonnieEchols View Post
    why dont u have a look on amazon or advance auto parts for a better advice and acquisitions
    Perhaps learning proper English and/or grammar should be your first step? With that being said, please put forth your advice - I'd love to hear what you have to offer to this thread other than your half-cocked reply.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Jp no need to worry....he's no longer with us.....

Gold
    72 chevelle

Dang, and I was going to ask him what he thought of Autozone turbos. Thanks for the replies guys, all but smart a$$.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would ask the guy who has a current turbo build going on right now in the FI section. He had pieced his entire build together from online sources and by the sounds of it, did it relatively cheap (no real such thing as cheap with FI, but less expensive than new).

My tuner who is an expert in the business highly suggested a methanol kit using any FI build. It's relatively cheap insurance.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Thread Information