Thread: Turbo ?s

black
    99 camaro

Turbo ?s

What size turbo would I need to use to do a 7 to 10 pound set up?

white
    1999 Trans Am

a 40mm turbo can do 10 ps1, but i would go with a 57mm in case you want to up that in the future.

black
    99 camaro

Didn't see that coming man everyone locally is saying go with a 76 mm and I thaught that was a little big for what I'm looking for but I didn't know for sure.

white
    1999 Trans Am

a 76mm for a single set up is nice but it takes a while to build boost what are you looking to get out of the turbo set up? 7psi can get you close or into the 500hp range on an ls1.
    auto or m6? and is this a DD?

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Are you getting close to actually doing this? As I want to put a turbo on my trans am also. I even have half the parts to make it happen, just not sure where to begin.

black
    99 camaro

I do cruise in it somtimes but no it's not a dd and I'm looking for around 8 to 10 psi nothing major but I know that's pushing stock parts but I have plans for a built motor this winter so no big deal . And yes I'm looking to do this asap if possible I have a 60/1 sitting around and my friend does custom piping who is gonna do my cold side piping and I found hot side kits on eBay for front mount setups I just don't know about turbo size ect ect

white
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jernigan359 View Post
    I do cruise in it somtimes but no it's not a dd and I'm looking for around 8 to 10 psi nothing major but I know that's pushing stock parts but I have plans for a built motor this winter so no big deal . And yes I'm looking to do this asap if possible I have a 60/1 sitting around and my friend does custom piping who is gonna do my cold side piping and I found hot side kits on eBay for front mount setups I just don't know about turbo size ect ect
    well in that case any turbo 50-60mm would be nice for that application. but you will want new heads with that turbo.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

wow...

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

That 60-1 will do the trick. Spool time is nearly instant and it makes great power! I am running the 60-1 on my setup. Seems nearly perfect imo. 76mm is too big unless you got a big block imo.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

KY turbo uses a 76mm trim with a Turbonetics head unit and it is spec'd to be used with LS1's...

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    KY turbo uses a 76mm trim with a Turbonetics head unit and it is spec'd to be used with LS1's...

Easily the best piece of advice in this thread.

Now. And HP61 will FALL FLAT ON ITS FACE. I know this, i owned one, Hp topped around 510whp period. It wasnt going any Farther.

So i hope that also the answers about a 50-60mm, lol. not gonna do anything for you.

Do no use less then a 70mm turbo on your ls1. And its also not just about the compressor either.

The turbine wheel and AR size of the exhaust housing plays an equally important rule.

white
    1999 Trans Am

a buddy of mine uses a 56 or 57mm turbo on his z28 with i believe 6 or 7 lbs of boost and makes ~460rwhp and it will snap you neck when he goes balls to the walls. i think he is coming out to the dyno day ill get vid if he is there.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Quote Originally Posted by Faught View Post
    a buddy of mine uses a 56 or 57mm turbo on his z28 with i believe 6 or 7 lbs of boost and makes ~460rwhp and it will snap you neck when he goes balls to the walls. i think he is coming out to the dyno day ill get vid if he is there.
    Go ahead and get a video. Make sure to get the graph in RPM as well.

If it is truley a 56 or 57mm that power probably falls off as fast it comes on in any LS motor.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

OP, Dont listen to any of us for that matter, call a sponsor, call someone that does this shit for a living.

I said what i said, well, becuase ive been their. I had an HP61 on my rearmount setup when i had it. Power fell off quickley then, On a front mount, it would spool to the moon and max out fast.

I guess those things are fun for a street car, but the first time you go to the track and try to run xx.xx @ xxxmph and you turn the wick up to go faster and you dont, youll be pissed.

call Jose @ forced induction.

white
    1999 Trans Am

ok just got him on the phone he runs a T70 66mm turbo with stock lq9 heads, and all the other necessary bells and whistles for a turbo build. said it made 458 rwhp on 6 psi and a street tune.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

And their is really no reason to change heads in a budget setup, The budget thing to do would be put new valve springs and pushrods in. The only thing he gained was a little better flow and lower compression from the truck heads.

Their is nothing wrong with the stock heads other then the obvious. Better springs and rods and let her eat.

If you are truly talking budget.

But i can tell you, make sure the tune is SPOT ON. Very important.

And of course, the right thing to do would be obvious as well.

And for the record, plenty of people making 600 on 241 heads in similar senarios.

white
    1999 Trans Am

i did not say he had to get new heads just that he would want some, eventually; in case he ramps up boost in the future but then you want internals too its the mod and power bug every one gets bit. and ya 600 hp is easy with his set up but he only pushes 6 psi b/c its his DD im sure he could ramp it to 10-15 and get in the 600 range

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    And their is really no reason to change heads in a budget setup, The budget thing to do would be put new valve springs and pushrods in. The only thing he gained was a little better flow and lower compression from the truck heads.

Their is nothing wrong with the stock heads other then the obvious. Better springs and rods and let her eat.

If you are truly talking budget.

But i can tell you, make sure the tune is SPOT ON. Very important.

And of course, the right thing to do would be obvious as well.

And for the record, plenty of people making 600 on 241 heads in similar senarios.
    This is exactly what I did with my Procharger build. New hardened push rods and new valve springs. Everything else is stock.

I should have numbers by the 1st week of June running 8psi. I'll be sure to post them.

white
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This is exactly what I did with my Procharger build. New hardened push rods and new valve springs. Everything else is stock.

I should have numbers by the 1st week of June running 8psi. I'll be sure to post them.
    oh ya let us know i have bin thinking of a S/C build but not sure close to 200K miles on my original ls1, 4l60e, and 10 bolt

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Faught View Post
    oh ya let us know i have bin thinking of a S/C build but not sure close to 200K miles on my original ls1, 4l60e, and 10 bolt
    I'd suspect your rings aren't going to do so well with FI or your 10 bolt

I already have a build thread going in the FI section of the site.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Thread Information