Thread: Turbo questions

blue
    1994 camaro low 12's

Turbo questions

I have a 94 Z28 with a new forged 383 installed. I was planning to run enough n2o to get this heavy weight into the 10's.
    I have decided to go turbo charged. I bought a Garrett Volvo charger that is .66 a/r compressor 1.19 turbine the exducer is 94 mm. the turbine wheel exducer is 86mm.
    My plan is to install the turbo at the muffler under the gas tank like STS. The kit requires an intercooler, as the long run cools the air on the way to the engine. [BS]
    I am thinking of having the turbo's separate oiling system.
    This is going to be the next stage of the poor boy build up, I am going to need piping, bov, wastegate, electronics, boost control.
    1. What size piping?
    2. Wastgate what size brand ect.
    3. What size BOV and brand
    4. What eleectronics are required. [ I have a MSd digital6]
    5. What boost control.
    6. What size and type inter cooler.
    I have made my way through a 9" ford fab and install, roll cage, frame connectors , engine build, adjustable lower links, panhard bar, torque arm 255lph fuel pump.
    If you can get me headed in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
    Last edited by skipjobe; 07-14-2008 at 07:31 AM.

2002 camaro

i think the turbine is to big to be that far back

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

i agree go samller unless u want to wait for the boost,in some cases bigger =not better.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

blue
    1994 camaro low 12's

Turbo

I just received and am reading Maximum Boost. I may install the turbo in the front, I am just trying to learn more about it and will try to take the path of least resistance. It would be nice to just take the car to an expert and tell him to fix it.
    I could do that but this is a hobby car and half the fun is learning and doing.
    I liked the way the STS set up is done but it may not be right for my set up. I think with 10 pounds we should be in the high 600 hp range.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by skipjobe View Post
    I just received and am reading Maximum Boost. I may install the turbo in the front, I am just trying to learn more about it and will try to take the path of least resistance. It would be nice to just take the car to an expert and tell him to fix it.
    I could do that but this is a hobby car and half the fun is learning and doing.
    I liked the way the STS set up is done but it may not be right for my set up. I think with 10 pounds we should be in the high 600 hp range.
    Good book to read.....will explain a lot of the turbo questions you're asking. Corkey Bell knows his stuff when it comes to turbos. I read that one a while back and it's very informative....it'll give you the basics but technology has changed quite a bit since that thing was published....but like I said, it'll give you a good ground work on the basics...
    Last edited by cailey37; 07-22-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Thread Information