Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo questions

pewter
    2000 ss

turbo questions

do you have to do a lot ,if anything, to a stock ls1 to put a remote mount turbo on it???

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Its just like any other car...

pewter
    2000 ss

i dont really know to much bout turbos or the install

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

just buy an sts kit, i think it comes with everything you need

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the STS kit. Stay away from the remote mount period! if you want to know details pm me and I'll tell you about my experiences with them and why I wont do any more.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and stay away from the STS kit. Stay away from the remote mount period! if you want to know details pm me and I'll tell you about my experiences with them and why I wont do any more.
    could you let me know of your experiences with the STS kits? I was thinking about getting one, but i am starting to have second thoughts from some of things i have been reading. thanks

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ajs9185 View Post
    could you let me know of your experiences with the STS kits? I was thinking about getting one, but i am starting to have second thoughts from some of things i have been reading. thanks
    They use a electric motor to pump the oil back to the top of the valve cover. The problem with that is you have to fight the distance from the back of the car to the front and then take into consideration the force of the car pulling. Well, with all this in mind, you start getting oil in the intake tract of the turbo piping. The pump just can't keep up. You end up having to take the pipes out and clean them out. If you do a Google search on STS Oil Problems you'll find some interesting articles. I will never use them again. Put it up front where it belongs.

Black
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    They use a electric motor to pump the oil back to the top of the valve cover. The problem with that is you have to fight the distance from the back of the car to the front and then take into consideration the force of the car pulling. Well, with all this in mind, you start getting oil in the intake tract of the turbo piping. The pump just can't keep up. You end up having to take the pipes out and clean them out. If you do a Google search on STS Oil Problems you'll find some interesting articles. I will never use them again. Put it up front where it belongs.
    Man that's crazy, so is that problem with all the kits. Like the vettes, mustangs etc.

Want a new car

You will definetly need a custom tune with the STS.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

well there are cars that have no problems with the kit, i've seen both with the sts kit. From reason it always seems that the f-bods have the bulk of the problems, i have also known one f-bod that never had a problem. I am pretty sure there is a way thatyou can put some sort of a check vavle had the beginning of the return line that way the oil does not back up into the turbo, i've seen that happen before, then it just runs out the exhaust.

That kit is not as easy as it seems, it has done done properly. From what i have guys not looking for gobs of power did not have many problems, the guys who started pushing the kit were seeing problems.

You should probably listen to cailey about it.

I was about to go with an STS kit awhile back, but my car is too low and i did not want to bother much with it, so i went twin turbo.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    well there are cars that have no problems with the kit, i've seen both with the sts kit. From reason it always seems that the f-bods have the bulk of the problems, i have also known one f-bod that never had a problem. I am pretty sure there is a way thatyou can put some sort of a check vavle had the beginning of the return line that way the oil does not back up into the turbo, i've seen that happen before, then it just runs out the exhaust.

That kit is not as easy as it seems, it has done done properly. From what i have guys not looking for gobs of power did not have many problems, the guys who started pushing the kit were seeing problems.

You should probably listen to cailey about it.

I was about to go with an STS kit awhile back, but my car is too low and i did not want to bother much with it, so i went twin turbo.

I have tuned a few, and I've never seen an STS kit for f-bodies was that wasn't action-packed with issues... I quoted this from another board, but here are the issues I have had with the setups that I have helped out. The user was trying to decide between Vortech and STS (but didn't want ATI for some reason?):

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    NOT STS!! I don't have either setup, but I have tuned each and helped people get their stuff up and going... Almost *everything* about the STS is junky, simple, and cheap. Consequently, it will cost you more money and time in the long run. Some examples include:

STS has no bevel or bead around their charge piping, and the shit blows apart until you do SOMETHING to change that. Whether it be roll the ends of every charge pipe or what not. This seems like basic common sense. The couplers it comes with are garbage; all of them will have to be replaced. They WILL come apart, so save yourself some grief and drop the cash on HTS couplers up front.

Procharger is nice because it has it's own oiling. I hate that about the STS, that scavenge pump and having to pull oil to the back of the car for it and then back up front. The Vortech is guilty of needing engine oil moving through it also. Vortech does offer (at least for the vettes, so I assume F-bod) a nice cogged belt system that is easy to setup and doesn't slip.

Add to that, if you have an STS setup and an M6, you might make 1-2psi in first gear.. not enough load there. Don't want to be labeled a hater for telling you the truth (some STS owners are just itching for debate) so I will say that if you have a stalled A4, the STS will be much more enjoyable (than an M6) and much faster/quicker as well.

Personally for any car that I had to drive regularly, after seeing lots of setups would be an ATI powered car. You have some odd grudge against them based on internet folklore so I guess that leaves the vortech up for reliability and low maint as opposed to the STS.

-edit- Oh yeah, forgot about STS's charge pipe that goes UNDER THE K-MEMBER, scrape scrape.
    /2cents

If you are a 6-speed guy, the STS will turn your car into a dyno queen... It may make 550-600rwhp with the 67mm "upgrade" but you will fight your ass off to run a low 12, high 11, as the boost just isn't there down low. On top of the poor ET, the trap speed doesn't line up with the HP either. There isn't enough load, and couple that with heat loss from moving it that far away and you get the most pathetic spool in first and second gear. This is what kills them. Stalled autos (as noted and quoted above) work a little better.
    Last edited by Frost; 01-05-2008 at 04:28 AM.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

there is not doubt that they have alot of issues, but i have known of two that had no problems, that was until they decide to upgrade to larger turbos, ie. t-76.

The idea crossed my mind, but luckily i had some people that pushed me away from that idea.
    In the end, getting an sts kit is not cheap, you will want more power, and everything you have to do to make that kit push decent power and be somewhat reliable will cost you alot, it would be best to just get one under the hood. You'll end up spending the same amount of cash.........maybe less if you use truck manifolds.

I was just reading this and was going to get this kit. Would you not recommend it? How was tuning? More info please on the truck manifolds.

Thanks,C

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

i cant find a website for ati... help?

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    i cant find a website for ati... help?
    here you go

http://www.procharger.com/

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

Hey guys no offense to cailey, he does not like change. The STS kit works great if you have any questions on it let me know. you dont need to PM me just let it all out. The kit cailey is refering to was an old kit and we have changed it alot. fixing problems, cost, pipes ect....

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Nielson View Post
    Hey guys no offense to cailey, he does not like change. The STS kit works great if you have any questions on it let me know. you dont need to PM me just let it all out. The kit cailey is refering to was an old kit and we have changed it alot. fixing problems, cost, pipes ect....
    Hi Chad are you talking about the new kit that they are just developing now that isn't quite on sale or one that is already out at the vendors? I really like this kit but don't want a bunch of headach.
    Thanks,Chris.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Nielson View Post
    I dont like change???? No, I dont like oil in my intake, having to fix the piping myself for clearance, and crankcase blow bye. That's what I dont like. I tell you what. Have STS send me a kit for free and I'll install it on the first person's car that wants it and I'll let them be the judge. I've already lost one motor to STS so I think this is a fair request. I just dont think that if you spend that much money on a kit you shouldn't have to spend your time and additional money trying to get it to work. I understand you work for the company so I wouldn't expect you to do anything but push the product. That's great....just give the people a quality item. Until I see someone running them and not complaining about the above issues...well, I'm afraid I'm not putting my faith into the kit....novel idea but it has problems.....problems that need to be fixed...and if it has changed then I would think you'd put updated pics on your site....I still see the same setup on there.....I love change....that's why I put the turbo up front where it belongs......
    Last edited by cailey37; 03-27-2008 at 01:09 PM.

^^ Why did the engine blow??

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by spaz1 View Post
    ^^ Why did the engine blow??
    Oil was pushed into the intake track of the turbo and made the motor run lean....next thing you know...pop goes the weasel......it's a problem with the oiling system and getting it from the back of the car to the front.....STS even tried to get me to install two pumps to correct the problem.....well...we all know that space is a limiting factor on our cars.....hard enough to find room for one, much less two....plus I dont think it would of worked out very well....like I said....novel idea but needs work..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information