Thread: Turbo help

whenwillthislifegetbetter slim420832002's Avatar

black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

Turbo help

so on a stock ls1 motor getting a sts turbo kit that boost like 5-7psi and creates around 450hp. what kind of mods are needed with just that or could u run stock with couple bolt ons such as, header, exhaust, lid, fast 90/90, injectors and rails, fuel pump, and short throw?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by slim420832002 View Post
    so on a stock ls1 motor getting a sts turbo kit that boost like 5-7psi and creates around 450hp. what kind of mods are needed with just that or could u run stock with couple bolt ons such as, header, exhaust, lid, fast 90/90, injectors and rails, fuel pump, and short throw?
    you'll need the stuff you listed... dyno tune is needed... a new rear if you have the stocker... also don't go with gears like 4:10's... stock gears are great for turbos... the instal can be done your self with little problems...

White
    2002 Camaro SS

You won't use the lid. You don't need or want the headers, exhaust, or FAST stuff. I'd sell those things and use it for the stuff you need.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

what turbo diameter are we talking about here?

black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    what turbo diameter are we talking about here?
    i dont know what size it is all as i know is i found a sts turbo kit online somewhere which stock motor boosts to 450

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I would steer clear of the STS kits! Many are having oiling issues. I've put on a couple and even built a rear mount system on my car......well....after a fried turbo and endless problems later I've given up on them! The problem is they rely on a electric pump to get the oil from the back of the car to the front.......what ends up happening is during hard acceleration you can't get the oil out fast enough and it ends up getting into the intake/exhaust tubing!!!! Don't take my word for it though.....do a google search on STS oiling issues and you'll find plenty of people having the same problem. I know a couple of companies that have stopped selling them because of the issues. I will not do another one that's for sure! Your best bet is to put it up front where it belongs.....I'll have some photos of mine up soon........

black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    I would steer clear of the STS kits! Many are having oiling issues. I've put on a couple and even built a rear mount system on my car......well....after a fried turbo and endless problems later I've given up on them! The problem is they rely on a electric pump to get the oil from the back of the car to the front.......what ends up happening is during hard acceleration you can't get the oil out fast enough and it ends up getting into the intake/exhaust tubing!!!! Don't take my word for it though.....do a google search on STS oiling issues and you'll find plenty of people having the same problem. I know a couple of companies that have stopped selling them because of the issues. I will not do another one that's for sure! Your best bet is to put it up front where it belongs.....I'll have some photos of mine up soon........
    k thanx much for the info

black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

and also in all actuality i think im gonna build a ls7 stroker motor instead and go n/a 700hp that shouldnt be that hard to get those numbers

White
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by slim420832002 View Post
    and also in all actuality i think im gonna build a ls7 stroker motor instead and go n/a 700hp that shouldnt be that hard to get those numbers
    Driveability will suffer unless you're spraying. Look into the APS twin turbo kit. That would cost less, could make more power in the long run and be daily driveable. And, unlike a front mount, would keep all accessories and a nice engine bay.

black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

Quote Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
    Driveability will suffer unless you're spraying. Look into the APS twin turbo kit. That would cost less, could make more power in the long run and be daily driveable. And, unlike a front mount, would keep all accessories and a nice engine bay.
    well thats an idea i just like the idea of starting 150hp more so less strain on the motor wit mods and less mods to get there thats what im lookin at. and the life of motor

Sebring Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Hey whats up. Hey if you still want some answers about the sts kit, shoot me a private, here is a picture of an sts camaro that makes 600rwhp.

here is a video too by the way.

Thread Information