Thread: Turbo help

DMash1080

Turbo help

I've got around 5 grand to spend on my bone stock 02 T/A WS6. Some people have suggested turbo so I figured I'd come here. Should I go with the sts turbo kit and that's IT. or go with lid, headers, exhaust, cams and heads.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Stay away from the STS kit. Until they improve on their oil return I dont think it's worth it. I thought you said this was your daily driver.......if that's the case just remember one thing....once you start throwing power adders into the mix and the HP increases you start to take away from longevity of the motor......how much are you going to drive it daily......with gas being the way it is, and it's not getting cheaper, so anything you add is gonna start getting into the gas mileage aspect....if you want to put money into it and maintain some driveablity stay naturally aspirated and put a head and cam package on it.......how much HP you wanting anyway?

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

sts kit is fine for most. 5 grand could probably get you where you want to be if you pick up a used kit, get some 42 lb injectors and a better fuel pump. Couple gauges and some tuning and you should be there, but that's with you doing all the work. It gets expensive in a hurry though.

DMash1080
    This is going to be my daily driver...that's why I was thinking to stay away from turbo and just go with cams, heads, lid, headers/ory and exhaust.

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

my vote is heads/cam and bolt ons and save the rest for the rear end you'll need shortly down the road. and this setup shouldn't effect the driveablity of the car.
    LS7 clutch,01 slave,Corsa 3" stainless exhuast,drilled/slotted rotors + ceramic pads,160 thermo,Mti clear lid,msd 8.5 wires & Ngk plugs...more to come!
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2311455

Quote Originally Posted by DMash1080 View Post
    This is going to be my daily driver...that's why I was thinking to stay away from turbo and just go with cams, heads, lid, headers/ory and exhaust.

The heads and cam are going to significantly decrease your gas mileage where the turbo will increase it if you keep the boost down and stay with stock injectors. You'll be reaching higher RPMS putting more stress on your drivetrain as well. If you keep the boost down around 5psi or so you should not have any drivetrain issues depending on how you drive it, but the same goes for head and cam package. Plus there is installation I hear the STS kit is an easy install, headers, cam, heads not so easy. There will be people on both sides of the fence here.

Thread Information