Thread: Turbo help

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Turbo help

I've been reading about turbo kits the past couple of days and im getting myself confused goin from place to place, seeing different views. I got a 99 LS1 and was thinking about going with a small turbo kit no more than 5 psi. Is it safe to run 5psi on a stock lsi if not what are things i would have to upgrade. Any information would be apreciated. As in uprgraded parts, things to watch out for etc... O and i have been seeing that the sts kits or the ofi kits are the ones recomended
    Last edited by 99LS1; 02-06-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

yes very safe what kind money are you looking to spend,I can build you a custom setup I see your in Mich,im in OHIO,the twins on my GTO I built and the car hold the record in the USA for the fastest ls2 GTO 13 psi on the stock motor so im sure you will be fine,with 5 psi,i have ran 18 12-15psi is the norm,been that way for 3 years.Im not , but a few hours away.pm me for details.,the ls1 can run some more boost as my ls2 is 10.9 to 1 compression from GM ls1 is 10.5.1 compression.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    yes very safe what kind money are you looking to spend,I can build you a custom setup I see your in Mich,im in OHIO,the twins on my GTO I built and the car hold the record in the USA for the fastest ls2 GTO 13 psi on the stock motor so im sure you will be fine,with 5 psi,i have ran 18 12-15psi is the norm,been that way for 3 years.Im not , but a few hours away.pm me for details.,the ls1 can run some more boost as my ls2 is 10.9 to 1 compression from GM ls1 is 10.5.1 compression.
    First off, congrats on the GTO.

Second. I have a question that is kind of off topic. Have you built custom turbo setups for any high mileage LS1's? If so, whats the highest mileage LS1 you've came across with/or thats had a supercharger installed with higher mileage.

I would love to get a turbocharger/supercharger for my z/28 but I'm hesitant because its got alot of miles on it, 182xxx. It's my daily driver, I have had it for 4 years. Besides a few free mods, no cats and a Flowmaster Super 40, it's stock.

It still runs/drives great. No mechanical problems, oil leaks, nothing.

I was just asking out of curiousity.

Thanks.

red
    2000 camaro ss

well the first thing to go would be your rings. the condition they are in all depends on what kind of miles they were, what kind of oil was used, and how often it was changed. the 55,000 miles on my road racer (that sees 4-7000 rpm 1/2 the time) are much harsher than 100,000 miles of daily driving, or much more for that matter. if the car has been babied and does not have excessive blowby then there is nothing wrong with boost. things to check for blowby would be a compression test, determine how many quarts of oil you consume between oil changes, how much (if any) soot blows out the back when under WOT. ls1's are infamous for burnin' oil anyway and is normal to an extent. i've seen plenty of 100,000 + mile cars makin' big power numbers with power adders, 180 thousand is definately a lot but like i said it depends on what kind of miles they were. i put 50,000 miles on my truck each year, has 200,000 miles w/ 40 psi and almost 500 wheel. . . .prob 80% highway, and no blowby. it's a cummins though, but it's still an example.

if you have good compression, i'd do a valve job. beat up seats and weak springs can ruin your day, and are relatively cheap to replace.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    well the first thing to go would be your rings. the condition they are in all depends on what kind of miles they were, what kind of oil was used, and how often it was changed. the 55,000 miles on my road racer (that sees 4-7000 rpm 1/2 the time) are much harsher than 100,000 miles of daily driving, or much more for that matter. if the car has been babied and does not have excessive blowby then there is nothing wrong with boost. things to check for blowby would be a compression test, determine how many quarts of oil you consume between oil changes, how much (if any) soot blows out the back when under WOT. ls1's are infamous for burnin' oil anyway and is normal to an extent. i've seen plenty of 100,000 + mile cars makin' big power numbers with power adders, 180 thousand is definately a lot but like i said it depends on what kind of miles they were. i put 50,000 miles on my truck each year, has 200,000 miles w/ 40 psi and almost 500 wheel. . . .prob 80% highway, and no blowby. it's a cummins though, but it's still an example.

if you have good compression, i'd do a valve job. beat up seats and weak springs can ruin your day, and are relatively cheap to replace.
    Hey man, thanks for replying with all that information!

How do I check my compression(compression test)?

My z/28 does burn a little oil. About 150-200 miles prior to the next scheduled oil change(every 3,000 miles), I usually put 2 quarts of oil in. This is after my "low oil" light comes on, which is damn near at the same mileage every oil change. I use Penzoill 10w-30, and have ever since I got it 4 years ago.

I don't really know much, if anything, at all about the prior owner(s). I bought it from a small local dealership and they couldn't really tell me much about the previous owners. Although it was bone stock when I bought it, which is a good thing. Atleast I think. I had my dad and our mechanic check/look it over thoroughly a few times before I ended up getting it. Our mechanic said everything checked out and was mechanically sound, so I got it.

To date, I've only had to change out my fuel pressure sending unit and cam sensor. So its only been in the shop twice. I'm happy with how its treated me, considering the mileage.

Once agian, thanks for the reply/information.
    Last edited by Boomer Sooner; 02-09-2009 at 01:35 PM.

red
    2000 camaro ss

you're welcome, and not a problem.

for future reference, don't wait 'til your oil light comes on to add oil. . .that's not good. it's too low IMO anyway, and you condense all the grit/grime/carbon into 4 quarts rather than 6.

a compression tester plugs into spark plug holes, and you just bump the motor to see what the guage reads. you can get one at auto part store or tool supplier.

are you using the synthetic pennzoil? you should be if you're not. . . i put in 2-3 quarts of oil per oil change with my incredibly abusive driving. i'd say if you DD and you put 2 quarts in, your rings are prob doneski.

try the compressoin tester and see how that treats ya. the nodular cranks in these motors are pretty stout, so if you got a set of forged pistons, a good set of rod bolts, it would be a relatively cheap overhaul (re-using the stock crank). the crank will require some machining but as long as it checks out well you can re-use it w/o losin any sleep.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    First off, congrats on the GTO.

Second. I have a question that is kind of off topic. Have you built custom turbo setups for any high mileage LS1's? If so, whats the highest mileage LS1 you've came across with/or thats had a supercharger installed with higher mileage.

I would love to get a turbocharger/supercharger for my z/28 but I'm hesitant because its got alot of miles on it, 182xxx. It's my daily driver, I have had it for 4 years. Besides a few free mods, no cats and a Flowmaster Super 40, it's stock.

It still runs/drives great. No mechanical problems, oil leaks, nothing.

I was just asking out of curiousity.

Thanks.
    Milage should not hurt anything ,I do a leak down on the motor,these motors are pretty dependable and with the right tune and maintence last forever,I have not built kit for a high milage car,again any motor in good shape would have no problem with boost.

Thread Information