Red Orange Metallic
    1998 FIREBIRD FORMULA

Thinking about turbo?...

So i was thinking about getting some headers and doing a full exhaust and possibly an intake this winter.....long story short i have also been dancing around doing a turbo setup cancelling out the header idea. so i brought it to the attention of a buddy of mine hoping he would be optomistic about it, but got a completely opposite reaction. He was mostly worried about the cost factor of support mods. Then i kinda kicked around the idea of doing it anyways just kinda half-assed. like running really low boost with a tune, but then i figured at 400$ plus/dynotune...is it really worth doing it unless im going all out and tearing the engine apart all at once?.....What im really asking is what do you guys think about the idea and what kind of support mods should i do......im not saying i want to do this cheap and blow up my engine, im just saying i dont exactly shit money....let me know your thoughts and dollar figures....Thank you.

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 FIREBIRD FORMULA

ttt...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I have never been a fan of turbo or supercharing a car before anything is doen to it. I cant stand when people say to TC/SC a car that has next to nothing done to it. Mkaes no sense. Ecspecially if you dont have forged internals. Whats the point of paying for forced induction if you run a limited PSI??

Personally I say dont do it. For 6 grand you could have a whole lot and be screaming Naturally Aspirated.

A very decent Head/cam combo.... 3 grand give or take.

FAST 92/92 1200$$

LT headers(Kooks) with full exhaust 1500 give or take.

Tune 500 bucks.

Slightly over. But you get the picture. That will be a much more fun and reliable car, IMO.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 09-04-2008 at 01:50 PM.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 FIREBIRD FORMULA

i totally agree with you, but i forgot to say that it would only be limited boost for one summer. I still want to do all the support mods, i just dont have the cashflow to do it all at once.

Sticking with the 6g figure, i agree that it doesnt make sense right now but i figure $3500 to run limited boost one summer and save up for all the other support mods next winter, and use the other $2500 for the turbo heads/cam/intake/fuel/forging.

im not saying im just half assing it, i just wanted to know the opinions of everyone else about running it at limited boost for one summer.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I have never been a fan of turbo or supercharing a car before anything is doen to it. I cant stand when people say to TC/SC a car that has next to nothing done to it. Mkaes no sense. Ecspecially if you dont have forged internals. Whats the point of paying for forced induction if you run a limited PSI??.....

Believe it or not, there are people who have money and want 550 to 600 (ls2) rwhp and OEM driveability. It is very easy to get this and have much longevity with FI. With H/C/I if you make 500rwhp, it's gonna sound like a race car and will NOT drive like stock. Just because it makes no sense to *you* doesn't mean that it just flat makes no sense in general. A customer of mine has an 04 Z06 with headers, meth, catback, P1sc (yes the small one), and has run 10.60s (remember this is an M6!) at 133 MPH and made 574rwhp on a conservative 7psi. The car is a driver and has been like this for about 3 years and many miles and races now. It drives *EASY* as a Vette should, sounds fairly stock driving around, and can wipe up the floor with ya.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Believe it or not, there are people who have money and want 550 to 600 (ls2) rwhp and OEM driveability. It is very easy to get this and have much longevity with FI. With H/C/I if you make 500rwhp, it's gonna sound like a race car and will NOT drive like stock. Just because it makes no sense to *you* doesn't mean that it just flat makes no sense in general. A customer of mine has an 04 Z06 with headers, meth, catback, P1sc (yes the small one), and has run 10.60s (remember this is an M6!) at 133 MPH and made 574rwhp on a conservative 7psi. The car is a driver and has been like this for about 3 years and many miles and races now. It drives *EASY* as a Vette should, sounds fairly stock driving around, and can wipe up the floor with ya.
    Easy killer. Did you notice the IMO??

That was *my* Opinion. Not yours. I would also shake his hand after he "wiped the floor with me".

Also, where did the OP mention anything abour 500RWHP??

I didnt see it. You could have a great H/C/I setup and make 450 and have it not sound like a straight up *racecar*.

But again, the 3 little letters come into play...

*IMO*

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

I think a STS would work good for you. Plus it would be fun to install this winter.

Ryan

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 FIREBIRD FORMULA

lol, the person who tells me not to do it now telling me to get sts.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Well, I thought about it and it sounds like you realy want to do FI over a H/C car. But you also want the DD capability. I think The STS would work out good for you because it is a low boost (right around 6psi as long as it isn't intercooled and Meth injection) and it wont put too much wear and tare on your motor like the higher boost set-up you were talking to me at work about.
    One other thing is I think we will know who the winner of the after work races will be now.

Ryan

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 FIREBIRD FORMULA

well, i still want H/C with F/I, i just want the turbo first, and dont have the money for the h/c at the same time.....and if i got d/r and if you ever hit third....we would know.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Yeah I think I need a trainer or driver mod.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Easy killer. Did you notice the IMO??

That was *my* Opinion. Not yours. I would also shake his hand after he "wiped the floor with me".

Also, where did the OP mention anything abour 500RWHP??

I didnt see it. You could have a great H/C/I setup and make 450 and have it not sound like a straight up *racecar*.

But again, the 3 little letters come into play...

*IMO*
    The internet makes tone unclear, I didn't mean to sound jumpy. I didn't mean wipe the floor with "you" exactly, I just mean most opposition on the street. 500rwhp from FI and driving like stock is possible. 450rwhp and driving well is possible to, but driveability still can't match stock with a power adder.

Oh yeah, and for the other guy, read some STS threads in the first page of this section of the forum before you get too gung ho.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Oh yeah, and for the other guy, read some STS threads in the first page of this section of the forum before you get too gung ho.
    You can read all day long but experience is how you learn.

Yes I know STS has some issues but I think they can be easly fixed.

Ryan

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan99 View Post
    You can read all day long but experience is how you learn.

Yes I know STS has some issues but I think they can be easly fixed.

Ryan
    And everything I posted is a result of experience. I'm glad that you think it will be easy. Since you are pushing a friend towards it, why don't you give him your word...

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

I'm not making his decisions for him. As you can see in the first post I was opposed to the FI idea. Now I am just throwing out ideas. I'm sure Monday will come around and we will be talking about his options at work.
    BTW Frost I do respect what you have to say, your input and posts are appreciated and I do realize they come from experience.
    Ryan

Thread Information