Black
    2003 Silverado SS

Supercharger install

Hey im planning to build a vortech V-3 supercharher on a LQ9 Silverado SS vortec engine and i was wondering for what modifications i need to look at for installing it. How much psi could you put on a stock engine like that??? Or what would i need to have around 600-800 rwhp?? Anyone?? I appreciate any help!!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

dont know anything about that supercharger, but the LQ9 is a good platform for supercharging, from my understanding.

generally you can run 8-12 lbs without much issue, it depends on whether or not your internals are forged. 600 is doable, 800 might be tough without some serious work.

Black
    2003 Silverado SS

Youre talking about 8-12 psi and does that mean with no head studs?? And could i use the stock fuel system(or maybe i was thinking about just boosting the fuel pump) would that be enough??

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

im not sure of the stock fuel injectors on the LQ9, but most guys up them, i see 57# alot.

racetronix fuel pump is popular too.

head studs wouldn't be a bad idea but i don't think they would be necessary. one thing to keep in mind is clearance for the heads if you put in studs. the truck may be fine, but on our cars it can be hard to put heads on if you have to get them over the studs and under the cowl.

one thing youll have to start looking into is either water, or methanol injection

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

stock injectors MUST be replaced really do it once and go with some 60#-80# injectors.... also a better fuel pump is very important im unsure how SC cars are with fuel but you can run twin 255lph pumps or a single 340lph pump...

when it comes to studs this is what i was worried about.... keep in mind factory bottom end, head studs wont allow the head to lift but then you chance throwing rods... factory bolts may save that or make trouble...

Water/meth injection is also a very good idea... the colder your intake air is the better/safer it is for your engine... it will help prevent predetination and allow for more boost....

Black
    2003 Silverado SS

Thank you both, it will really help me out and i didnt think about methanol/water injection but its a good idea!!
    Thanks - Beto

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have a Procharger installed on my LS1 motor. I'm running 8psi and hit 500rwhp running 62# injectors, front mount intercooler and methanol injection kit.

The only things I replaced motor wise was the valve springs and push rods. I also am using ARP studs.

Fuel pump I'm running is the Racetronix 255 pump with hot wire kit. It's made by Walbro. I'd look at something with more fuel delivery if you're looking to make serious power. Mayne even a separate fuel cell.

Other odd and end things were gauges, custom intake/outlet piping for the head unit and intercooler and a fully built suspension/drive train to handle the new found power.

What compression do you currently have?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black
    2003 Silverado SS

Thx, thats almost the same from what i was thinking about, just a little more psi maybe and a bigger fuel system!!!

I still have the engine stock, with 10:1 compression!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well the stock LS1 is 10.5:1 so you're not too bad if you were to run 12psi max. Not sure how well your stock cam would respond to that amount of boost though.

Any plans on how you are going to get that amount of power planted efficiently to the ground?

In cooler weather with a lot of money into my suspension and drag radials I have traction issues until about 60mph

Black
    2003 Silverado SS

Lol yes i know a guy that has a truck with 6.2l silverado with around 1000 hp he doesnt have traction at 80mph on drag radials :-P. But at the dragstrip with slicks it feels like an elephant is pushing your back! Lol

But since mine is a AWD(Silverado SS 2003) i think with drag radials and traction bars i should be able to have traction. Whats your idea??
    -Beto

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds like a plan. Not too up to speed on the drive train on that vehicle so I'd just do your homework and make sure your trans and rear will handle it.

Black
    2003 Silverado SS

Thanks and im still working on the project so hopefully i soon finish it and let's go to the track!!! Lol thanks it will really help me!!! :-)

Thread Information