None

Question Supercharger/FI Questions

I am at the planning/saving stage now but want to build a good LS based stroker with a D1SC or F1 Procharger.

I have a few questions.

1) Is it worth the $$ to build a stroker with FI such as a 5.3L to 383 or 6.0L to 413?

2) Is it worth the weight penalty to use an iron block engine like the LM4/7 5.3L or LQ4/9 6.0L?

3) Are Procomp LS1 or LS3 good aluminum heads for FI?

4) Would a Victor Jr intake(single plane carb but fitted with a throttle body& injectors) be as good but less $$$ than a LSXR?

5) I have E-85 available to me locally is this a low cost solution to the high cost of 100 octane unleaded?

6) Would a 9.5+ CR be too much for FI?

I want to thank you all for your time and knowledge.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What are your goals for this car?

None

Lightbulb

I would like to have a streetable mid 9 second Pro-Street car with A/C & CD strereo.

I especially like the '80's Ford Fairmonts & '80's Chevy Monte Carlo SS's especially with rollcages & M/T ET Streets or Hoosier Quick Times at least 28X12.5X15.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-StreetLS427 View Post
    I am at the planning/saving stage now but want to build a good LS based stroker with a D1SC or F1 Procharger.

I have a few questions.
    To start, I would suggest talking to a profession engine builder. They have a lot of experience and can get everything right.

That being said, here is what I suggest.

1) Is it worth the $$ to build a stroker with FI such as a 5.3L to 383 or 6.0L to 413?
    Yes...402ci LS2 strokers are relatively cheap...only a few grand more than a build 346ci/5.7L.

2) Is it worth the weight penalty to use an iron block engine like the LM4/7 5.3L or LQ4/9 6.0L?
    LS2 blocks can be pushed to 1000hp, but iron blocks are best for what you're talking. LQ9 block is what you're looking for.

3) Are Procomp LS1 or LS3 good aluminum heads for FI?
    You want a tick decked head, to handle the added stresses brought on with FI. AFR and the Trickflow "Turbo" heads are good semi budget heads.

4) Would a Victor Jr intake(single plane carb but fitted with a throttle body& injectors) be as good but less $$$ than a LSXR?
    Personally, I like the stockish looking FAST Intakes, but the Vic Jr. has been proven to outflow the FAST Intakes...also, I've read places that you don';t want the Edlebrock Elbow due to restriction in flow. Not sure what is suggested in opposition, but you might want to LS1Tech Forced Induction or Gen IV Sections for more info. Also, be prepared to cut your cowl and hood to make it fit.

5) I have E-85 available to me locally is this a low cost solution to the high cost of 100 octane unleaded?
    If you build the motor right, you can use 93 octane pump gas. E-85 has been used in multiple high hp builds...do some research.

6) Would a 9.5+ CR be too much for FI?
    Depends what your goals are...like I said, contact an engine builder, they know best.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Also, go F1A...can be pushed to higher boost levels that a D1SC. D1SCs top out around 16psi, if you want more, you'll have to go F1.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Also, go F1A...can be pushed to higher boost levels that a D1SC. D1SCs top out around 16psi, if you want more, you'll have to go F1.
    The D1SC can handle up to 32psi....well at least according to their website.

The main difference between the D1SC and F1 or F1A is impeller RPM, maximum flow and internal stet-up.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The D1SC can handle up to 32psi....well at least according to their website.

The main difference between the D1SC and F1 or F1A is impeller RPM, maximum flow and internal stet-up.
    All of those flow #'s that Procharger put out are dependent on lots of factors. Usually on an LSX they make around 16 psi max. I am sure some may have made a bit more but generally 16 psi is the limit for a D1SC.

None

Exclamation

I just saw an Edelbrock intake called the F1A that is tall almost like a tunnel ram but meant for a throttle body.

I like the idea of a 750-820 FWHP 383 stroker and even a 3200-3600 lb car should run mid 9's if it could hook up all that TQ.

Thread Information