Thread: SuperCharger!

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

SuperCharger!

What is the best "BANG FOR THE BUCK" supercharger? I was thinking about doing a big engine build N/A but i feel it will be cheaper to start with FI. The car will be pretty much stock bottom end besides some stronger rod bolts and piston rings for now only planning on 8-10psi... Open for all opinions!

Thanks,
    Kyle

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

not sure about cheaper
    Ive seen some guys build some nasty 408's for what it would cost for f.i.
    what are your final goals for the car?

how much power?street/strip?is it your daily driver?

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by dpinson View Post
    not sure about cheaper
    Ive seen some guys build some nasty 408's for what it would cost for f.i.
    what are your final goals for the car?

how much power?street/strip?is it your daily driver?
    well my plans were a 408 stroker but after talking it over a bit some sort of charger would be more streetable. as of right now my car is my daily driver summer car! no matter what im planning all new drivetrain. my goals are 500+rwhp i have a set of 6.0l Heads i will be putting on no matter FI or Stroker. for a Budget stroker build im looking around 4-5k! charger i think i can get it done for under 4k ill do all the work either way but have it pro-tuned...
    idk what you think?

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

yeah you could get it around that

If I were you I would probably get a d1sc procharger and put the biggest pully on it.
    Then go ahead and start saving for your motor.
    if you tune it right 8 lbs should last awhile on the stock motor.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Are you picking up used parts? A D1 setup new will run you more than $4K regardless of the route you take. Keep in mind fuel system upgrades and gauges as well to monitor things.

Also, you may make more peak HP with a blower, but a strong N/A motor will likely make better power across most of the power band, which is something to keep in mind.

I agree that the ProCharger would be more streetable the a big cam in a 408.
    Nick

2002 Trans Am WS6 - 520rwhp
    D1SC @ 10lbs | FLT Level V - SS3600 - ARH 1 3/4" LTs w/ Catted Y-pipe - Corsa - Koni 4/3's - UMI Adj. LCAs and Brackets - UMI 3 Pt. SFC's - UMI PHB - UMI STB - TTM's (17X9, 17X10.5) - M/T ET Streets

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Definitely agree on the price being a lot higher than 4K...more like double that or close to if you're buying new and take into account fuel upgrades (fuel pump, injectors), gauges (Wideband A/F, boost) and tuning.

Unless you plan on making your own piping, tensioner bracket, damper, and just are going to buy the head unit without any type of intercooler or running meth.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

And to add. There is no "best bang for your buck" when it comes to FI.

It's ALL expensive...and you get what you pay for.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

dang well im looking to build the car. goals are 500+hp but then from what u guys are saying and i did alittle bit more research im looking at 7k for a FI and still around 8k for a built 408... the 408's price is with a built tranny without the rear. the FI is just the supercharger setup with everything but the tranny and rear!

with all of this i will be doing EVERYTHING on my own besides maybe tuning.

any recommendations?

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

$4000-5000 is possible
    d1sc.$2400
    sdce tensioner kit $700(optional upgrade stock tensioner is like $350)
    blow off valve $350
    injectors $400
    fuel pump $150(a good pump will supply 10 lbs. or less)
    used front mount intercooler or ebay $150(I know not the best but they will work for low boost)
    you still have $350 left for misc. fittings gauges and piping and it is pretty easy to piece this stuff together cheap on ls1tech.(sorry) and around $500 for tuning(very close with new and upgraded stuff)

these are new prices on everything ,There are complete used kits for less and you could always piece a kit together used for cheaper than this. This is how I did mine because I just wanted the big items to be new but you could save $600-1000 on a used d1sc alone over the price I quoted.

You will need to be capable of doing everything your self or save money with used parts to make the $4000-5000 budget.
    Im sure there is a thing or 2 that I left out but I hope you look into what I said. You can get it done.

Dont let me or anyone set you on an idea either because you could do the same thing with a turbo, although there is alot more to a turbo setup to make it work correctly. We set my buddy up a turbo for the same kinda money on his 408 but we both needed fuel system,rear,tranny,etc to hold the power.
    And you still have the N/a route also of corse
    Do alot of research and decide which route you think is better for you and
    you dont have to go overboard for a 8-10 lbs.of boost but you will need the rear and tranny eventually Im sure if you launch it with any setup.
    Last edited by dpinson; 02-09-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

$4000-5000 is possible
    d1sc.$2400
    blow off valve $350
    injectors $400
    used front mount intercooler or ebay $150(I know not the best but they will work for low boost)
    you still have $350 left for misc. fittings gauges and piping and it is pretty easy to piece this stuff together cheap on ls1tech.(sorry) and around $500 for tuning(very close with new and upgraded stuff)

these are new prices on everything ,There are complete used kits for less and you could always piece a kit together used for cheaper than this. This is how I did mine because I just wanted the big items to be new but you could save $600-1000 on a used d1sc alone over the price I quoted.

You will need to be capable of doing everything your self or save money with used parts to make the $4000-5000 budget.
    Im sure there is a thing or 2 that I left out but I hope you look into what I said. You can get it done.

Dont let me or anyone set you on an idea either because you could do the same thing with a turbo, although there is alot more to a turbo setup to make it work correctly. We set my buddy up a turbo for the same kinda money on his 408 but we both needed fuel system,rear,tranny,etc to hold the power.
    you dont have to go overboard for a 8-10 lbs.of boost but you will need the rear and tranny eventually Im sure if you launch it with any setup.
    Great info thanks!
    i was in love with the 408 build but i need it to be streetable. i looked into a turbo but after doing some research they are only good for "strip" cars. i mean i will be bringing the car to the strip but not every weekend! i feel starting with a supercharger and working my way up to building the engine and raising the boost...
    u think i will beable to push 8-10 psi with a set of LQ4 heads? i heard they are just like LS6 heads with bigger combustion chambers so it will flow and lower my compression.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

$4000-5000 is possible
    d1sc.$2400
    blow off valve $350
    injectors $400

My gauges are running $500. You don't want to skimp on your monitoring system on such a high cost investment. You also need a hot wire kit to go with that fuel pump.

Air filter/truck inlet hat is like $150.

I would also recommend either a FMI or meth with any FI set-up. $400 is pretty cheap for 60-lb injectors. I priced mine at $500.

When all said and done, you will be looking at 6-7K.

Anytime you "budget" a project, you ALWAYS spend more than what you think you will once you get into it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

This also doesn't consider the cost of getting that HP to the ground...

Rear end, clutch, suspension, tires, built trans....etc etc

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

$4000-5000 is possible
    d1sc.$2400
    blow off valve $350
    injectors $400

Dont let me or anyone set you on an idea either because you could do the same thing with a turbo, although there is alot more to a turbo setup to make it work correctly. ...
    That's right; not going to be able to do turbo that cheaply and do it right... and I think the same is true for the supercharged setup.

You left out of your list:
    -the J-bracket for the blower and the stand-offs,
    -cost of the crank and blower pulleys
    -cost of the matching belt
    -cost of the ATI crank dampener ($$)
    -cost of pin kit for the crank pulley
    -the high cost of quality silcone couplers,
    -stainless T-bolt clamps for the pressure side,
    -the custom piping for the pressure side,
    -the minimum wideband and boost gauge needed for monitoring,
    -the hot-wire kit for the aftermarket pump (which I think is a poor choice since it destroys the bucket function where the Racetronix pump does not)

....and personally I think that a methanol system (not junk like Snow either) such as Alkycontrol (nearly $600 optioned for F-body) should be standard fare for a forced induction car that runs pump gas. The only people that think otherwise are those that have not used them.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    That's right; not going to be able to do turbo that cheaply and do it right... and I think the same is true for the supercharged setup.

You left out of your list:
    -the J-bracket for the blower and the stand-offs,
    -cost of the crank and blower pulleys
    -cost of the matching belt
    -cost of the ATI crank dampener ($$)
    -cost of pin kit for the crank pulley
    -the high cost of quality silcone couplers,
    -stainless T-bolt clamps for the pressure side,
    -the custom piping for the pressure side,
    -the minimum wideband and boost gauge needed for monitoring,
    -the hot-wire kit for the aftermarket pump (which I think is a poor choice since it destroys the bucket function where the Racetronix pump does not)

....and personally I think that a methanol system (not junk like Snow either) such as Alkycontrol (nearly $600 optioned for F-body) should be standard fare for a forced induction car that runs pump gas. The only people that think otherwise are those that have not used them.
    yeah the turbo is harder to do.I knew their was some stuff I was forgetting.But if you shop wisely you can get this stuff done. I found a guy with a bunch of couplers , t bolt clamps,and various aluminum piping left over for sale cheap.
    If you bought used stuff you could get close to the budget with a few extras though. I use methanol,(bought a never used kit for $200 kit) but you know that many dont on low boost setups.I did forget the dampener and pinning kit which is highly recommended .The dampeners dont come standard in the basic kits though right?Doesnt at1 make a blower pulley that bolts to the stock pulley in the basic setup? The piping isnt that bad either if you can do it yourself.And gauges are all over the place used.I do prefer the racetronix setup as well and am using it but he doesnt have to have it for a low boost build.
    i think I covered it all.And as stated you will need to be able to do all welding cutting, fab. work, etc. yourself or there is no way to stay on that budget.

Shop wisely and you can get CLOSE man and as stated if you cut to many corners you will end up with junk but you dont always have to have the biggest or baddest of every thing especially for a low boost budget build.
    Hell i bought a used complete p1sc kit for $ 2400 minus injectors of of ls1tech.It came off of a stock car and made close to 500 at the wheels. That would make it pretty easy to stay on budget.
    Last edited by dpinson; 02-10-2011 at 03:02 PM.

silver

I bought mine from Procharger. Very good price and great customer service

Thread Information