Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

supercharged reliability

Hi,my name is ty and I'm from colorado.I have a 2002 trans am ws6,any thoughts out there about adding a procharger D-1sc to the car.I'm questioning how it effects the reliability and longjevity of the car.It is a dayly driver, about 50 miles a day in stop and go traffic.Also how is fuel mileage effected.Would like to have the charger for the occasional "IT'S THERE IF NEEDED SITUATION"!!!

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

get some spray then cheaper and its there when ya need it and wont affect anything on 50 mile day to day communting

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 T/A WS6

yea but spray will shorten the life of your motor

pewter

dunno man..i wouldnt want to install a supercharger on a car i NEED for 50 miles every day.....head and cam is the answer ......i LOOOVE my set up

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

If you don't run high boost and don't get on it much then it shouldn't hurt anything. If you have the cash that you want to blow go for it. Just make sure you also do the supporting mods to make it worth while. Atleast do headers, Y, cat back, converter or clutch.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

As long as you keep out of the boost, daily driving an S/C'd LS1 shouldn't be much harder on the motor than if it was just N/A.

Reason being that the engine is basically just turning an extra accessory belt unless you give it enough throttle/RPM's to get out of vacuum and into boost. So its there when you need it, and pretty much invisible when you don't

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

If you can afford it, a SC is a good way to go. Idles and cruises like stock. Until you get into boost, then its
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

pewter

your car is SIIIIIIIIIICK ed....fookin SIIIIIIIIIIICK ..gottta be scary as hell to ride with u..lol

Black

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    your car is SIIIIIIIIIICK ed....fookin SIIIIIIIIIIICK ..gottta be scary as hell to ride with u..lol
    Thanks, its fun when I hit the Nitrous.

pewter

living in san diego u MUST come across a ton of expensive fast as hell cars....whats your best/most expensive kill? ferrari enzo? f40/50? some modded 911 turbos? do tell!! lol

pewter

i really want an 01-04 z06 under my belt.....havnt got an opertunity to race one yet though or maybe a c6

Quote Originally Posted by explorer View Post
    Hi,my name is ty and I'm from colorado.I have a 2002 trans am ws6,any thoughts out there about adding a procharger D-1sc to the car.I'm questioning how it effects the reliability and longjevity of the car.It is a dayly driver, about 50 miles a day in stop and go traffic.Also how is fuel mileage effected.Would like to have the charger for the occasional "IT'S THERE IF NEEDED SITUATION"!!!
    Welcome. You might want to repost these questions in the "Forced Induction" forum.

Quote Originally Posted by methdmx View Post
    So will driving a supercharged car in stop and go traffic in the summer heat.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by methdmx View Post
    It will do just fine as long as you have it tuned, use safety devices, and keep the a/f ratio safe you can run as many bottles as you want through your motor and it will be just fine.

One thing about the s/c in stop and go traffic is unless you upgrade your radiator and fans you might experience some form of overheating when running your a/c in that environment. Fuel mileage is great because as mentioned by someone else it will stay about the same unless you are in the boost a lot. As far as street manners s/c's are great for cruising around and having that kind of power on demand at any time. Do some searches and look at the sticky post in the FI section about supporting parts you may need to buy to go along with your s/c.
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well guys I'm going against party lines on this one....lol....Superchargers are good but I'm always partial to turbos.......I mean a supercharger will run out of air at a point where a turbo just keeps on going......but...either way I guess you cant go wrong...you'll end up with more Horsepower than you started with.....oh yea...and Ed....I used to live in SD.....would of loved to run the car........

Black

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Well guys I'm going against party lines on this one....lol....Superchargers are good but I'm always partial to turbos.......I mean a supercharger will run out of air at a point where a turbo just keeps on going......but...either way I guess you cant go wrong...you'll end up with more Horsepower than you started with.....oh yea...and Ed....I used to live in SD.....would of loved to run the car........
    Would have been an interesting race.

You have specs and a dyno sheet of yours?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Any power adder is safe and reliable if properly installed and tuned.
    Any power adder will shave life off of a motor at various rates depending on the motor build and frequency of use.
    You got a stock motor...stock rods/bolts etc. and hit it fairly consistantly with a 150 shot of giggle juice.....motor gonna blow under a 75-100 runs...guarantee....a forged motor...same amount of runs and duration of spray....a long long time.....before she blows. Same with any air booster ( blower or turbo).....
    Same thing with a N/A motor...you romp the shit out of it all the time ...it aint gonna last as long as the guy who hits it "on occasion".....simple really.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Any power adder is safe and reliable if properly installed and tuned.
    Any power adder will shave life off of a motor at various rates depending on the motor build and frequency of use.
    You got a stock motor...stock rods/bolts etc. and hit it fairly consistantly with a 150 shot of giggle juice.....motor gonna blow under a 75-100 runs...guarantee....a forged motor...same amount of runs and duration of spray....a long long time.....before she blows. Same with any air booster ( blower or turbo).....
    Same thing with a N/A motor...you romp the shit out of it all the time ...it aint gonna last as long as the guy who hits it "on occasion".....simple really.
    So true.......so true......

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Would have been an interesting race.

You have specs and a dyno sheet of yours?
    I've got a dyno sheet.....need to get it scanned in............I'll take to work and abuse the govt dollar....

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

moving there now.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information