Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Supercharge or turbo?

Im on the fence with what I want to do with my LS1. I was thinking of doing a roots type supercharger with cam but some friends say go with a turbo. I like the instant power of my friends 06 gto with a supercharger, that thing is a beast!!! Im not trying to make the most power an LS1 can handle and this is my daily driver. What would be a logical decision? I have not been in a turbo LS1 powered car so I cant compare the two but my friends gto drives normal until you hit the go pedal. Any info is greatly appreciated
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Procharger.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Procharger.
    Hey ed, Procharger over the roots type. why in your opinion do you think this is better? Im asking because im curious, not trying to be insulting Your car is bad ass. I dont want to stroke it but a cam swap is in order

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Roots will get into boost right away instead of the centrifical like the Procharger.

They didn't have a good kit when I bought mine.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Anything else done to your car as far as supporting mods? You will really want to open up the intake and exhaust before thinking about adding more power.st
    These are an absolute must if you want to make full use of the turbo/sc

Long tube headers
    Catback
    Fast 90/90
    Lid
    Moser 9" or 12 bolt
    Subframes along with all the other suspension goodies

Now as far as cam goes, I would really take my time and research. There are cams that are designed just for forced induction applications. Along with the cam you will also need new springs,pushrods,oil pump,new pulley etc...

I dont really know how well the stock LS1 block holds FI. I have been told that a 200 shot of nitrous is safe all day long, but I am not sure about procharers, superchargers, turbos etc...

You will def be shelling out a good deal of money (even if you still have the supporting mods). Assuming you dont have the mods listed aboe I would venture to guess it will cost you a good 8-10k in just parts alone and I hope you can install all that by yourself or else you might as well sell your car and get a 03/04 cobra. As far as drivability, I wouldnt drive a 500+ hp car everyday. Especially if I was incesting that kind of $$ into it.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

just saw ur sig, disregard some of the stuff I mentioned
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Turbo set-up will cost more, will be harder to install, and requires more finess with tuning from what I've been told. You will get more power from a Turbo though as it doesn't require HP to make HP.

Procharger you can throw on a stock block with 8psi and get around 500rwhp and get the same street manners as your stock LS1 when driving around town normal (gas mileage). If you want to run more than that, you really should invest in a forged bottom end (pistons and connecting rods at a minimal).

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

I dont care how much money it would cost me, I could never sell my ss for a cobra of any kind. Dont get me wrong they are fast but mine will be way faster. My friends gto has an LS2 motor in it so Im not sure how much different the internals are but his supercharger kit, cam and install ran him about 8k. I will save money because I will do the install with a friend at his shop. I just wanted the best bang for the buck as far as f/i goes.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Turbo set-up will cost more, will be harder to install, and requires more finess with tuning from what I've been told. You will get more power from a Turbo though as it doesn't require HP to make HP.

Procharger you can throw on a stock block with 8psi and get around 500rwhp and get the same street manners as your stock LS1 when driving around town normal (gas mileage). If you want to run more than that, you really should invest in a forged bottom end (pistons and connecting rods at a minimal).
    That is actually all Im looking to make as far as hp. I just dont know to much about F/I so thats why I asked. I new someone had info to school me with. I leaning to the procharger more now.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Procharger is the most reliable supercharger on the market today and people with LS1's that have them installed swear by them.

Of course, with any FI set-up, it likes forged internals If you really want your car to be reliable, you should get forged pistons and connecting rods. the crankshaft is pretty stout, but if you have the coin and are in there already...you may want to swap it out.

As everyone always says "that's all I want"...I GUARANTEE after a while with 500rwhp..you WILL want more and you WILL want to run more boost...eventually. Everyone usually does. Just sayin.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Procharger is the most reliable supercharger on the market today and people with LS1's that have them installed swear by them.

Of course, with any FI set-up, it likes forged internals If you really want your car to be reliable, you should get forged pistons and connecting rods. the crankshaft is pretty stout, but if you have the coin and are in there already...you may want to swap it out.

As everyone always says "that's all I want"...I GUARANTEE after a while with 500rwhp..you WILL want more and you WILL want to run more boost...eventually. Everyone usually does. Just sayin.
    Oh I know I will want more but until I get my Z06 that will have to do lol. I will have to price out what forged internals run, I do want it reliable and since my motor has 92,000 on the clock Im sure thats a good idea. Thanks for the info evryone, keep it coming

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

35th SS, maybe Im going about this all wrong? Would it be wiser maybe to do an LS6 swap with heads and a cam or supercharge my 92,000 LS1? Im getting a small chunck of change from my accident so I just want to do this once and forget about it but also Im not dumping every penniy I get into it since the plan is to pay it off. OHHH the choices!!!!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    35th SS, maybe Im going about this all wrong? Would it be wiser maybe to do an LS6 swap with heads and a cam or supercharge my 92,000 LS1? Im getting a small chunck of change from my accident so I just want to do this once and forget about it but also Im not dumping every penniy I get into it since the plan is to pay it off. OHHH the choices!!!!
    If you ask me, I wouldnt put a procharger on it. These cars have so much potential once you dig into the motor. They are made to be all motor cars unlike the cobras. They dont respond to bolt ons as well as our cars do (at least not the gt's and others). Ask any cobra owner, many dont even think about headers once they reach 500+ hp. Longtubes probably net the most amount of rear wheel hp for our cars than any other bolt on will. Its a waste of $800 when a $60 pulley and tune could get you 3-4 times more what headers would. Also when you change the cam in those cars, you are changing more than one cam so it adds ups.

Honestly, your car has 92k miles. It may not seem like a lot (others have like 200k on theirs) but something is going to break if it hasent already. And adding FI to a nearly stock car is over kill. If I were you, I would throw on a good set of H/C and call it a day. You will still get a good 450hp depending on your application. Then save the rest for the Z06, trust me ITS WORTH IT.
    Last edited by rajiv1998; 06-21-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I should really read more carefully LOL as I just noticed you said your car isnt paid off. Save the $ untill its paid off then do what you want with it. This way you will know for a fact the 200-300 dollars you put aside monthly for payments can go towards mods. You will also have the peace of mind knowing its paid off and you dont owe any one anything. You will have the title in your hand and can even sell it the next day if you want, without of going through the hassel of stating how much you owe or asking the buyer to give you a deposit to release the title and etc...

BUT it is YOUR car and YOU can do what YOU want with it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

The best advice is to pay off that car loan first! The borrower is always a servant to the lender.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I ebayed around and found these prices. Granted they vary quite a bit and some are better then others but with that being said, here they are....

Forged Rods: $500
    Forged Pistons: $650
    Forged Crank: $800
    Moly Rings: $160
    ARP Rod Bolts: $90

Then you can throw boost at it all day
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

green
    04 silverado

I run a procharger on my truck....

When your not in boost, it drives like stock.
    When you get above 3k rpms and matt it, Then you can feel a huge difference. Im pushing out almost 400rwhp with the P1sc, And it sounds amazing.

I have did a lot of research on the different types of superchargers... If your looking to make a lot of down low boost, your options are between a roots, and a twin screw type supercharger.
    A twin screw has a much higher efficient then a roots and is capable of higher boost numbers at higher rpms because of its internal compression ratio. Both will make good low rpm boost because of a fixed displacement design. The roots, however does not have a internal compression ratio, which makes it efficient suffer, It builds boost by stacking up air in the manifold, as to where the screw type and centrifugal internally compress the air.

Just my 2 cents. I would get a procharger or a twin screw if i were you. Both will make amazing top end power. You will need to upgrade your injecters, fuel pump, and retune the computer at a miniumum, Exhaust work is high reccommended. The cost to do either will be at least 7 grand all said and done. ANd you SHOULD spend a little more then that.

Edit:

I cannot speak of how a turbo would compare to the superchargers.... I have not done any research on them. I do belive you would be able to make more horsepower since the turbocharger will not be a parasitic source of drag on the crank. But, Personally, I love the sound of the procharger singing under my hood.
    Last edited by ericmck2000; 06-22-2010 at 06:00 AM.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I cant wait to get everything done, Im gonna try to limit the build to 10k but I wont cut corners in the process. Ive been hearing good things about procharger, I would love to actually ride in a f-body that is procharged to see how it feels. The only boosted car I was in had a roots type.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Plan on a rear-end upgrade and some suspension components.

green
    04 silverado

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I cant wait to get everything done, Im gonna try to limit the build to 10k but I wont cut corners in the process. Ive been hearing good things about procharger, I would love to actually ride in a f-body that is procharged to see how it feels. The only boosted car I was in had a roots type.
    For the engine side only, expect to spend 7-8 grand on everything needed for a procharger p1/d1sc.

Injecters, Fuel pump, Dyno Tuning, Exhaust work.

I play with my truck a lot more then i play with my transam, But, from what i hear, your 10 bolt will turn into a ticking time grenade if you dont fix it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information