Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1994 Camaro z28

STS Turbo...Thoughts??

i was wondering if anyone on here has an sts turbo on their car.. i was orginally going to swap my lt1 out for an ls1 and i came across theese turbos and though that it might be worth trying to put on my z28, could anyone give me some feedback or input if they are worth the money to put on and if you can still put exhaust cutouts on the car if you have the sts turbo i dont think you can do to it being a rear mounted turbo, any info is greatly appreciated thank you.

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Yea you can put cut outs on. Just don't expect to get any use out of that turbo.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

How about donating your money to a charity instead of wasting it on an STS. At least your money would be put to good use that way.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

is it not a good turbo to use?? or you jus dont like turbo charged camaros?? just asking not talking shit or anything

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I don't know much about them but heard they were a waste of time. Get some giggle gas!!!!Why would you want to push all that air back a forth under the car. long way to travel.....

black
    1994 Camaro z28

ive heard that they werent too goo but also heard that they got good gains in the hp so iono im just afraid of the turbo getting strached and wreck by scraping on the road or rusting

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

They work good, but I don't like the idea of having a big knot hanging on the bottom of my car. And think if you are riding down the highway and a 18 wheeler has blown a tire, it's in the middle of the road and you run over it. The way the oil lines hang on those turbos, you stand the chance of looking out your rear view and watching your turbo dance down the road. IMHO not a good idea.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

you make a very good point, the only bad thing ive heard out of them was that if you have a stock eninge and are wanting to get one you better plan on building a better then stock ening or else you'll be replacing it in a year within installing the turbo

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by LS194Z28 View Post
    you make a very good point, the only bad thing ive heard out of them was that if you have a stock eninge and are wanting to get one you better plan on building a better then stock ening or else you'll be replacing it in a year within installing the turbo
    That part isn't really true. Just keep the boost at a conservative level, and get a good tune. Anyone on here will tell you it's all in the tune. The idea and price of that system, and the hp gains make it hard not to look at, but the design, and quality make you look at other systems.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by doozjamann View Post
    That part isn't really true. Just keep the boost at a conservative level, and get a good tune. Anyone on here will tell you it's all in the tune. The idea and price of that system, and the hp gains make it hard not to look at, but the design, and quality make you look at other systems.
    yea i kno what your saying thats just what i was reading on gmhighperformance, they installed one on a 2000 ss i think it was, and they had problems with their MAF sensor, they took the MAF out and it ran perfectly they had HP tuners tune it for them slapped the MAF back on and it ran fine, they had to do alot of modifing kuz of having aftermarket headers and a catback exhaust though

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

yea i kno what your saying thats just what i was reading on gmhighperformance, they installed one on a 2000 ss i think it was, and they had problems with their MAF sensor, they took the MAF out and it ran perfectly they had HP tuners tune it for them slapped the MAF back on and it ran fine, they had to do alot of modifing kuz of having aftermarket headers and a catback exhaust though

If you want a budget turbo kit it's not a bad idea. I hear a lot of good and bad about them. Also you may want to consider HP turbo kits. They are very good, and close to price w/ the STS kit. Everything is upfront and not a lot of cutting necessary with the install. You get to keep your twin pipes out the back too without having to custom fab a pipe like you will have to do with the STS kit. http://www.turbochargedpower.com/ just scroll down to the Camaro/Firebird section.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

that doesnt seem like a bad idea for a turbo seems like a good quality turbo, the thing is i didnt see an application for 93 - 97 and my Z28 is a 94

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

that doesnt seem like a bad idea for a turbo seems like a good quality turbo, the thing is i didnt see an application for 93 - 97 and my Z28 is a 94
    Click on it again. It ways it can be installed on a LT1.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

Click on it again. It ways it can be installed on a LT1.
    i wouldnt have any troble mounting it in a LT1 engine bay??

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

i wouldnt have any troble mounting it in a LT1 engine bay??

Not at all, just let them know what it's for, so they send the right manifold.

black
    1994 Camaro z28

ight thanks for your help

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

anytime

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

a bit off topic, but does anyone happen to know STS R&D never developed TT system for the 4th gen F-Body? Is it because of the SRA clearance issues?
    Information Technology Super Sport

Suspension|T56|5.3|Twin TC66's|

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by IT_SS View Post
    a bit off topic, but does anyone happen to know STS R&D never developed TT system for the 4th gen F-Body? Is it because of the SRA clearance issues?
    They are a rear (remote) mount. The 4th gen is not a true dual exhaust car. Only the GTO, and Vette have the twins, they are true dual exhaust from factory.

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

They are a rear (remote) mount. The 4th gen is not a true dual exhaust car. Only the GTO, and Vette have the twins, they are true dual exhaust from factory.
    wow, the 4th gens really got the shaft when it comes to sts, every other car they develop for have a (rather good) twin kit....o wel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information