Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

Sts Turbo ...eventual Upgrades?

So I Was Looking At The Sts Website And They Have Multiple Turbos You Can Upgrade To. If I Were To Get A Somewhat Base Model (8 Psi With Methonal) Later On If I Get A Forged Rotating Assembly, Will It Be As Simple As Buying An Upgraded Turbo And Upgrading (if Necc.) The Injectors? (and Possible Intercooler Of Course)
    1998 Trans Am Vert, M6, Soon to be full of goodies......

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by schrysler View Post
    So I Was Looking At The Sts Website And They Have Multiple Turbos You Can Upgrade To. If I Were To Get A Somewhat Base Model (8 Psi With Methonal) Later On If I Get A Forged Rotating Assembly, Will It Be As Simple As Buying An Upgraded Turbo And Upgrading (if Necc.) The Injectors? (and Possible Intercooler Of Course)
    Well you could buy an upgraded turbo down the road....but why not build the motor that you want now and then you can get what you need all at once????? Just a thought.....also, if you plan on running 8psi with the base kit you'll want to upgrade the injectors and even fuel pump.......then of course get the car tuned......methonal is great......with that you wouldn't need an intercooler........it serves as your intercooler but it does it chemically.....and it's better than any air-to-air intercooler since one of those will only cool what ambient temp is anyways......if it's 100 degrees outside then it cant get any lower than that......that's why people go with a air-to-water intercooler.....but unless you're planning on getting up into the boost you wont need one of those.......

one of the things you have to remember is what do you want to do with the car????? Meaning is it a weekend warrior, daily driver, etc.......once you start adding things to the mix you'll need to upgrade something else....drivetrain being the big thing coming to mind......

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

If I Get The Base Kit I Was Going To Upgrade The Fuel Pump And Injectors. The Thing Is I Want To Make This One Nasty Street Machine (i Hate To Lose!) To Start Off This Is What I Want To Do

1) Get The 8 Psi Kit For The Stock Engine And Start Saving For The Real Upgrades.
    2) Upgrade The Tranny To A 4l80e (i Have Heard They Are Nasty)
    3) Strange Or Equivelent Rear End
    4) Forged 383 Stoker Kit For The Ls1
    5) Complete Bolt Ons
    6) And Finally (the Reason I Am Asking) Up Grade The Turbo To Put Out More Boost (i Realize I Will Have To Upgrade Injectors And Possible Intercooler

I Just Want Something Bad Ass That I Can Do In Somewhat Of Steps..

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

Oh And Forgot The Suspension And Drive Line Will Be Upgraded Throughout

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

well if you want your to be bad ass, find the way you want it built and then build it like that. You will end up wasting thousands more then you have to. I had a friend who did such a thing, if you are rich and money is no object then go however you want. why are you going to waste your money to save up for what you want when you can go to getting what you want off the bat.

you will have to retune your car and it will not stop there. Build it right the first time.

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

For The Moment The Only Real Thing That I Can Afford Is The Sts Kit. When I Have Enough Money Saved Up I Want To Do A Forged 383 That Can Handle More Boost. Then Replace The Turbo (just The Turbo, Not All The Plumbing) With A Turbo That Can Put Out More Boost.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

i know you are not going to change out the plumbing. Once you replace the turbo though you will have to retune your car and that gets exspensive. You are going to be tempted to make changes to your setup and do things that will not compliment the larger turbo down the line. I speak from experience and for others i know, build your car right the first time. You will spend less time and money that way. You can possibly break something then have to spend money to correct that problem which will also take time and money away from the finished product. Just make sure you have a good gameplan.

Burgandy
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by schrysler View Post
    For The Moment The Only Real Thing That I Can Afford Is The Sts Kit. When I Have Enough Money Saved Up I Want To Do A Forged 383 That Can Handle More Boost. Then Replace The Turbo (just The Turbo, Not All The Plumbing) With A Turbo That Can Put Out More Boost.
    Like Cailey37 said: "once you start adding things to the mix you'll need to upgrade something else....drivetrain being the big thing coming to mind......"

I agree that you need to worry about the tranny and rear too. It sounds like that bad ass motor your making will be at least 600hp, probably alot more...

So if you plan on getting traction...
    You might want to spend the money on a 9" Ford or Strange rear first.

You can always play around with the boost and methanol more to get a little extra HP until you can get the money for the 383 motor.

You got to make some tough choices when you cant afford to do it all at once!
    2002 A4 Z28: SLP LM exhaust and HSW 100whp dry shot.

NA: 323.4WHP@5360 RPMs, 344.2ft-lbs@4610 RPMs,
    N2O: 417.0WHP@5200 RPMs, 467.6ft-lbs@4210RPMs

NA: 13.351@107.48mph, N2O: 12.324@117.88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMHmdFywR0w

2002 Trans Am

I don't have any suggestions, but here is what I have on my car.

T67 STS turbo
    Racetronix Walbro fuel pump (255 I think)
    60# injectors
    6.0L 402 stroker motor with 11:1 compression w/ comp cam, comp rods, and comp R lifters
    Ported stock 6.0L heads

She runs but I'm getting her tuned this week or next.

When I started modding I started with the STS kit with the T67 turbo, fuel pump and 42# injectors on a stock motor.

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

11:1 in a FI app?

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

Isnt That Way To High Of A Comp Ratio To Boost?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

11.1 could be ok if you're not pushing too much boost (no more than 5lbs).......plus it would depend on the internals.......but usually you'd want to bring it down some.....I like in the area of 9.1...........

2002 Trans Am

Sorry, yeah it is 9:1. I don't know what I was thinking with 11:1. I guess I was in too much of a hurry to get out of work to stop and think about it. I also forgot to mention that it is intercooled. Whatever other mods I've done I can't remember at the moment. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what size Cam I have in it.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Do not waste the money on 42 lb injectors. They will run out when you upgrade. Might as well get the 60's from the beginning. Also, when you upgrade the fuel pump, might as well get a dual walbro setup. Get the labor done one time on that.

I made those mistakes, could have saved a good amount of money. Also, the base kit comes with a 60-1 turbo, which is barely sufficient for the stock motor. You may want to get the 67 from the beginning too. Think this through, unlike me, and you could save a bunch of dough.
    2002 Camaro SS-STS kit, LME built 370, h/c, and a bunch of other stuff

5psi-456 rwhp 498 rwtq ran out of fuel!!

Thread Information