Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hugger Orange
    1999 Z28

Thumbs up STS Turbo in Camaro SS at Exotic Performance Plus

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32

Hey, I've been a doubter of these kits for quite a while, so I'm pretty skeptical. A local guy wanted one so we're doing the install, along with rebuilding the engine with Compstar rods and Diamond pistons, and a comp cam. Check out the 50+ pic's, we'll be firing it up real soon. Bob

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Looks Sweet! Let us know once you strap it to the dyno.

'57,'63,'70,'91,'01

Thats a pretty odd setup. What is the advantage of having the turbo at the rear of the car? That is one heck of a lot of tubing going everywhere.

did you do any head or cam work to this car?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Turbo at the rear of the car would bring in cooler air from underneath the car instead of hot engine bay air, that's one benefit

gophaster
    Wow, I have heard of these "remote" turbo setups in some oldschool turbo books but I've never actually seen one.... and on a modern car to boot Looks like a pretty clean kit but the advantage of having the turbo closer to the exhaust ports is that, there is a lot more energy to drive the turbo harder and spool it faster.

I would think the boost threshold will be pretty high so you probably won't see boost until higher rpms than if the turbo were closer to the motor. I'm very interested in seeing the numbers you get out of this thing

Keep us posted.

gophaster
    Also, will be pretty weird to hear the turbo spooling from the BACK of the car

Ok, now I feel stupid...just visited the sts website, looks like they have been doing this for some time now. Very interesting stuff. I definetly want to see what you guys get from this setup.
    Last edited by gophaster; 09-22-2005 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire
    did you do any head or cam work to this car?
    Bob......head work done????
    Last edited by Liquifire; 09-24-2005 at 04:00 AM.

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by gophaster
    Wow, I have heard of these "remote" turbo setups in some oldschool turbo books but I've never actually seen one.... and on a modern car to boot Looks like a pretty clean kit but the advantage of having the turbo closer to the exhaust ports is that, there is a lot more energy to drive the turbo harder and spool it faster.

I would think the boost threshold will be pretty high so you probably won't see boost until higher rpms than if the turbo were closer to the motor. I'm very interested in seeing the numbers you get out of this thing

Keep us posted.
    How is there more energy in the exhaust since its back further?

and the "so you probably wont see boost untill higher rpms than if" that really doesnt read right...

gophaster
    Read my post again I said there is more energy closer to the exhaust ports at the motor Less energy way back in the rear of the car.

"advantage of having the turbo closer to the exhaust ports is that, there is a lot more energy to drive the turbo harder and spool it faster."

Less energy in the back of the car so a higher boost threshold unless the hotside of the turbo is smaller to compensate which is how I think STS makes up for it...by running tighter a/r ratios on the hot sides of the turbos.

"I would think the boost threshold will be pretty high so you probably won't see boost until higher rpms than if the turbo were closer to the motor."
    Last edited by gophaster; 09-24-2005 at 07:35 PM.

1966 Corvette Coupe

got ya i read it wrong... i would say it was late, but it wasnt so i'll just call for a muligan on that one

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

They did an install of one of these on Two Guys Garage a couple months ago.Don't remember the exact numbers but it made 100+ h.p. at the rear wheels.From what I've read the advantages are that the long tubing cools the intake charge and the turbo doesn't get as hot due to the exhaust temps being lower.There isn't any lag because the intake tubing stays pressurized.They didn't do any tuning to it (everything was left stock otherwise) and it didn't affect the driveability and power output was impressive.The exhaust pressure would be the same at the tailpipe as at the exhaust ports-where's it going to go?-(IMO) -Looks like you are installing the optional intercooler -they didn't do that on the TV show if I remember right.

gophaster
    I hear ya predator

02z28ls1, I'm definetly not knocking the setup. They seem to be getting great results. Wish I would have caught that episode. I visited the sts website and watched a couple vids (the GTO the have is wicked). It's actually a very interesting setup. I agree that the turbo itself should run cooler because by the time the exhaust gasses reach it it will be cooled down. But, I think that this cooling does take away some of the energy though. Which is one of the reasons why traditionally, turbos are mounted up front. I think that it can be made up for by choosing the correct A/R ratio on the hot side of the turbo.

I hope ExoticPerformance posts up his results as I am very interested to see how much power they acheive.

blue
    05 Monaro

Quote Originally Posted by needmorepwr
    Thats a pretty odd setup. What is the advantage of having the turbo at the rear of the car? That is one heck of a lot of tubing going everywhere.
    The only real advantage that I can see is the possibility of getting that turbo system past the California air resources board, the CARB office states that the stock cats must be retained in the stock position to apply for a CARB exempt order for any turbocharger system. On that basis, the rear mounted turbocharger approach which retains the stock cats in the stock position makes a lot of sense. From a strict enginering perspective the rear mounted turbocharger position is definitely compromised though that's with all things in life. In a perfect world the closer you position the turbochargers to the exhaust ports will yeild the best possible power, torque and engine response.

Peter

Lookin good Bob!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I agree it's a really different way of doing turbos-but with the emissions laws and packaging concerns of todays cars it makes sense.From what I've seen the results are impressive.Looking forward to seeing the pictures and results on this-Hurry up guys!!!!!Oh and one question-don't they have different boost level controls available?What boost level are they running here?

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    The exhaust pressure would be the same at the tailpipe as at the exhaust ports-where's it going to go?-(IMO)
    i would think the lag would be greater due to the compression of the exhaust... which is a gas... not an incompressable liquid... it would be like a spring effect... you would get more lag.. but the same energy...

just uppon hard acceleration the gasses in the ehaust woudl compress and the "unspring" with time...

same energy, but more of a a lag-burst than you would have right after the headers.... and this effect would be doubled by the return tube to the motor... just as much boost but more of a wave that travels to the intake than a steady pressure gain... Just my thoughts...

'57,'63,'70,'91,'01

very interesting. Maybe I could put one on my truck...

2002 Trans Am CE

Quote Originally Posted by gophaster
    Also, will be pretty weird to hear the turbo spooling from the BACK of the car
    Here, check out Eds GTO.03 at http://www.imranxp.com/ls2gto/

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

nice..are we gonna get a nice video like we did with the TT zo6?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information