Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: STS Turbo

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Cool STS Turbo

Any reviews on the STS turbo http://www.ststurbo.com/ I've been through the site and it seems pretty impressive but I looking for some real life reviews. I do have a hard time accepting that the potential horsepower gain wouldn't over stress the stock components without upgrading.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by supaxero View Post
    Any reviews on the STS turbo http://www.ststurbo.com/ I've been through the site and it seems pretty impressive but I looking for some real life reviews. I do have a hard time accepting that the potential horsepower gain wouldn't over stress the stock components without upgrading.
    You get an autoban from his site if you buy one

Seriously, though...they're crap.

black silver
    99 z28, 81 z28

sts

im sure more people will chime in but everything ive read on the forums says they are junk.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

If you want turbo, Check out APS!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    If you want turbo, Check out APS!!!
    about $5,000.00 and reliable...

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    about $5,000.00 and reliable...
    yea I looked into them the other day, Their stuff is really damn nice!!!!!!! My buddy has an STS on his LT1 and has had nothing but Issues from day 1

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

depends on what you want out of an sts. Don't expect gobs of power because if you aim for that you will have to change out so many things, then it ends up being more exspensive, i would go off with the aps right of the bat, oops, i did.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Agree with all the others, junk.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

the price of an STS kit = a nice heads and cam setup with more HP than sts. STS is garbage!!!!! garbage!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Why is the STS trouble?
    I seen their setup on quiet a few cars with no issues.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i knew it was to good to be true. APS twins

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

JUNK, APS twins very sexy setup. S T S shitty turbo systems

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, As far as "Junk" A STS turbo kit isn't. Yup, you have to do quite a few things to get it up & running right. And you will have problems sorting it out. And later, you will have problems to correct. Helped my son install it. Ran great for 6 months & now not spooling up as it should. Turbo spins ok, the check valve on the EGR vacume hose got lost when he poped a hose so another one was ordered. Old guy like I am. Getting that kinda H/P out of a 350 still amazes me. Just have to go thru the system to see whats going wrong. Dave

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by locodave View Post
    Hi, As far as "Junk" A STS turbo kit isn't. Yup, you have to do quite a few things to get it up & running right. And you will have problems sorting it out. And later, you will have problems to correct. Helped my son install it. Ran great for 6 months & now not spooling up as it should. Turbo spins ok, the check valve on the EGR vacume hose got lost when he poped a hose so another one was ordered. Old guy like I am. Getting that kinda H/P out of a 350 still amazes me. Just have to go thru the system to see whats going wrong. Dave
    I'm not sure, but I think you contradicted yourself with this statement

Everytime I'm around an STS kit, be it on a 1500 Chevy truck, Corvette
    or late model Mustang I am thoroughly unimpressed.

Bad design layout and cheap parts

In all honesty rear mount turbo systems are just a bad idea. IMHO
    Turbos should always be mounted as close to the engine as possible.
    A hot turbo is a happy turbo.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I'm not gonna say STS is junk, cause its not, but for the price to get everything 100%, its not that great of a value. My car had it when I bought it, otherwise I would have went with another kit. Maybe not APS, maybe a large single turbo setup, but APS is a VERY good kit. Its got its issues as well though. Hitting the swaybar, crushing one of the pipes, and a couple others, but there not really big deals. (except for the crushing of one of the pipes)
    I still think STS isn't bad. If you get a good deal on it, then its not to bad of a option. Hell, I'm only running 5lbs of boost and its making 500 at the rear wheels on a stock motor. (except a baby cam and LS6 intake) Thats better than most turbo cars make, and it runs like a sombitch.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Well. Don't think I contradicted myself at all. As far as installing one, Turbo with the ball bearings, along with larger injectors, stronger fuel pump, updated wiring to it, cermamic internal coated headers, complete cat back system. Oil return pump, Re-Programming the ECM, I could go on, it took a while. Dual boost with a meth setup. But, keep looking at the pictures at STS and the other front mounted turbos. Lotta room in the engine bay for a front mount turbo eh? I still have scars on my hands getting the old injectors out to swap them with the larger ones. Weak links are gonna show up. Expected. Hose pop'd off & he lost the check valve. Know what happens then? No mention of using clamps on the hose when re-installing it. End of the hose came off, check valve blew out. He finds the hose off & puts it back on, didn't see at 1st the check valve was missing. Got the check valve today & using hose clamps on each end. Ever drive one Ls1Camino? What you do on any turbo install and a 1st for me. Learn 1st what you can on whats needed to not self destruct the engine. A every day driver that acts like a normal Trans Am if driven like an old lady. She would never know. Nail it, whistling away. Boost builds up & the meth kicks in. Turbo-lag? None I can tell. Dave

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by locodave View Post
    Well. Don't think I contradicted myself at all. As far as installing one, Turbo with the ball bearings, along with larger injectors, stronger fuel pump, updated wiring to it, cermamic internal coated headers, complete cat back system. Oil return pump, Re-Programming the ECM, I could go on, it took a while. Dual boost with a meth setup. But, keep looking at the pictures at STS and the other front mounted turbos. Lotta room in the engine bay for a front mount turbo eh? I still have scars on my hands getting the old injectors out to swap them with the larger ones. Weak links are gonna show up. Expected. Hose pop'd off & he lost the check valve. Know what happens then? No mention of using clamps on the hose when re-installing it. End of the hose came off, check valve blew out. He finds the hose off & puts it back on, didn't see at 1st the check valve was missing. Got the check valve today & using hose clamps on each end. Ever drive one Ls1Camino? What you do on any turbo install and a 1st for me. Learn 1st what you can on whats needed to not self destruct the engine. A every day driver that acts like a normal Trans Am if driven like an old lady. She would never know. Nail it, whistling away. Boost builds up & the meth kicks in. Turbo-lag? None I can tell. Dave
    Yea, if building any boost, the STS kit NEEDS t-bolt clamps instead of the worm gear type. And a ball bearing turbo isn't necessarily needed. The usually spool slower for one...
    I'll admit though, I do have turbo lag, but thats only cause the previous owner put 4.10s in it instead of the 3.42s he should have...

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, Just wonder Squee if you turned up the boost a pound or two. Might help on the turbo lag. His is a 6 speed. Check for any leaks, exaust or back to the intake pipe. Dave

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Nah, haven't turned up the boost any. Kinda scared to since its got a weak ass motor from the turbo and nitrous the previous owner had on it. I knew that when I bought it, so its not like I didn't see it coming. I think the fact that its got turbo lag (mines a M6 as well) is cause the T76 turbo, low boost, and the 4.10 gears. 4.10 gears being the biggest of all of them since when the boost finally comes in (about 1/3-1/2 the way through the gear) its almost time to shift again. The 4.10s really make the shifts short. It pulls like a son of a bitch though. My dads a ASC certified mechanic and has been building cars his whole life and ridden in some damn fast cars (sub 10 second cars, easy) and said thats the fasted damned thing hes ever been in and pulls harder than anything, even his Syclone. I'm about to sell the turbo kit though, so its no big deal really.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information