Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sts turbo

black
    02 ws.6

sts turbo

ok so this is my problem, i have a 02 ws6 bone stock i just started wanting to put money into it, and i have found a sts turbo kit for it i want, now this is my question i have been told it will bolt right up to a stock ls1 and work but i have also been told by a buddy of mine that builds engines for a living that it will blow up my engine because i have a high compression engine. Do i need to change the internals to have the turbo kit or will it actually work safely with a BONE STOCK ls1?????? Please i need the advise from someone that knows alot about it thanks.

Black
    99 Camaro

It will notblow your engine if you have the right supporting mods , and if it is tuned properly , I've done a lot of them . My own trailblazer SS has a kit on it and it is almost another full point compression than your ls1 . I can get you everything you need if you like , and I can tune it for you if you are near the Rochester NY area .

Mike
    www.neweraperformanceparts.com
    sales@neweraperformanceparts.com
    585-865-1832

black
    02 ws.6

i used to live there bro i am in florida now i lived in syracuse

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

It will not blow your engine unless your running high PSI like 20psi and bad setup. I've heard that STS isn't best blower out there for our cars.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    It will not blow your engine unless your running high PSI like 20psi and bad setup. I've heard that STS isn't best blower out there for our cars.
    and STS is a Turbo Charger and it tottally sucks but will do the job an LS1 can handle about 8lbs of boost but you will be walking on thin ice.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    You can blow a stock LS1 apart waaaay before 20lbs of boost bud. My tuner/builder recommends no more than 10lbs. on the stock short block, and that's pushing it. But even with 10lbs. you can make substantial power.

Black
    99 Camaro

At 6 psi , it will last a long time with a good tune , and it will be fun to drive and pretty fast .

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

Hey Cobra,

Talk to the guys at JL turbo in florida. They Rock! They can hook you up, I believe the owners name is Jesse. I am running 5 psi on my stock LS1, no problems. I should be around 420RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by New Era Performance View Post
    At 6 psi , it will last a long time with a good tune , and it will be fun to drive and pretty fast .
    approx. how much hp and tq could one expect from 6 psi?

Black
    99 Camaro

In a stick , around 420 rwhp and rwtq , now many things can make this number vary slightly as well , so don't quote me on it .

I dont know much about FI but wouldn't it be cheaper to go NA for 420 hp?

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGTO View Post
    I dont know much about FI but wouldn't it be cheaper to go NA for 420 hp?
    Yes it would be cheaper to make that kind of power naturally-aspirated, but the advantage of forced-induction is the power potential overall.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakllr02 View Post
    ok so this is my problem, i have a 02 ws6 bone stock i just started wanting to put money into it, and i have found a sts turbo kit for it i want, now this is my question i have been told it will bolt right up to a stock ls1 and work but i have also been told by a buddy of mine that builds engines for a living that it will blow up my engine because i have a high compression engine. Do i need to change the internals to have the turbo kit or will it actually work safely with a BONE STOCK ls1?????? Please i need the advise from someone that knows alot about it thanks.
    Hey man thats BS i have a stock ls2 and i am throwing 15 psi at it stock shortblock! with 12 psi car went 133 mph in 1320/1/4 mile FYI the stock compression on a ls2 is 11to1..its all in the tune ,hope this helps feel free to contact me,RC
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...t=MOV03046.flv
    heres a pass that the car went 11.30 at 130 mph.
    Last edited by qwkgto; 07-02-2008 at 02:15 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    Hey man thats BS i have a stock ls2 and i am throwing 15 psi at it stock shortblock! with 12 psi car went 133 mph in 1320/1/4 mile FYI the stock compression on a ls2 is 11to1..its all in the tune ,hope this helps feel free to contact me,RC

The LS2 has been repeatedly shown to be stronger than the LS1 as far as FI goes, and has consistently been able to handle more HP. I would not push a stock bottomed LS1 anywhere near that far.

It's not "all in the tune", one bad tank of gas and you will lose a piston when you push a stock shortblock that far. Tuning will go a LONG way towards keeping you safe but it can't protect you against outside variables.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The LS2 has been repeatedly shown to be stronger than the LS1 as far as FI goes, and has consistently been able to handle more HP. I would not push a stock bottomed LS1 anywhere near that far.

It's not "all in the tune", one bad tank of gas and you will lose a piston when you push a stock shortblock that far. Tuning will go a LONG way towards keeping you safe but it can't protect you against outside variables.
    agreed on the gas my car only see 93 and at the track we mix some 110 with it and let her rip..never a bad idea on a car like that to include some octain booster,honestly most of the time i use 93 straight walmart gas..lol says 10% corn right on the pump..ethonyl gotta love it,hell we all should be running strainght moon shine maybe we all have faster cars and at least our farmers would be benifiting from it instead of them damn towel heads!..ls2 ls1 all the same whats the diffrence they all use same parts ls2 pistons are hypertectic with 11 to 1 compression ls1 has 10.5 to 1 so can you explain why theres a diffrence?not trying to cause an argument just askin?i have heard the ls2 is balanced alil better then the ls1,heads and cam and a bore otherwise same ole motor.love them ls series motors best damn thing GM has made in years!RC

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

heres a shot from down low,O and before anyone says looks like its going to drag,its just as high as stock exhaust,anyone knows how the IRS squats never had a issue from any of it hitting . heres another angle..
    Last edited by qwkgto; 07-02-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Z28

Stock motor is fine with STS. I have seen an LS1 with stock internals run 13.5 psi on a good tune, 656 rwhp. 5-7 psi will be fine, and last a while too!

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Click for full size

Dam thats a sexy pic! With that exhaust with the twins down there

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

thanks heres another next to one of my freinds stock 06,I have 15x10 drag wheels on car so sets alil higher in this pic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information