Red
    98 Trans Am

STS/Rear mount oil system

Ok, ive been thinking about this almost ever since sts came out with this thing. And then peaked my interest when i saw one guy make it..
    Im talking about a stand alone oil system that cuts about 5 ft of oil line and keeps from having to tap into the engine oil and circulate already hot oil into the turbo and any foreign particles that might go through there. So heres what ive gathered for something like this.

what do you think?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not a bad idea so long as the system is properly sized to keep the oil supply cool. You may want to consider both low level and low pressure safety switches in the final design.

Red
    98 Trans Am

yeah i guess an oil pressure guage would be a must for this since. Tie in a low sensor maybe in the sump? Heys a question, how much pressure is need to feed the turbo. The return pumps only job is to get it through the cooler AND sump so its job is pretty simple. THe cooler would be simple. Probably a B&M plate and bar oil cooler with self regulating baffles to handle cold starts. The cooler would be litteraly hooked right into the sump to keep the return pumps pressure high enough to get the oil back into the the sump. THe the leading pump startes it all over again. Oh and a check valve before oil entering the turbo and then one maybe after to keep oil from settleing in the turbo. The return line with a checkvalve might be over kill but you never know. How big a sump i suppose is neccary for a T70 turbo? 2-3 qtr? and what kind of oil would help provide a long lasting turbo that gets its own oil?

Red
    98 Trans Am

some updates i guess, changed my mind and am decided on a T76 with .96 AR and spool valve. still piecing together the oil system.

Thread Information