black
    01 Z28

STS on a 125K ls1

What should i look for or replace if im getting a sts kit on monday for my 125k ls1 m6. A buddy of mine has a 99 cobra with some mods (nothing special) but the sts is a surprise im not going to tell him til i run him once i already beat him but i really just want to blow his doors off the only mods i have is cai, free mods, loudmouth and NGK's. My other question is that im in northeast kansas (atchison area) and know of no f-body tune shops if anyone has any knowledge of one please let me know.

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

125K is a lot of miles to putting a turbo on. I would think it would need a lot done to it to make it reliable.

Black
    99 SS

I would not do that on 125k on a motor

10's N/A

I will almost guarantee a thrown rod with that kit a 125k motor.

rapter34
    hmm I would not worry about a FI with that many miles. build up the motor make sure it can be reliable with that power than do it but I think you have to get your priorities straight before you go balls to the wall. I've spent most my mods so far with getting it ready for big HP you go for it big without getting the drive train and motor right your going to blow something.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

STS = No.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    STS = No.
    Agreed. I would never go with one of those.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Whats wrong with STS?
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 06-15-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    What wrong with STS?
    Make it easy on us and ask what's right with STS. The kits are garbage. They have way too many issues with them but the main one is the oiling issue. You can search the forums and see a common problem that everyone complains about and it's the shitty oiling system they have. You end up with oil in the pipes and STS does nothing to fix it. I just had a guy that put the twin turbo kit on his Corvette. Myself and others tried to talk him out of it but he was hard headed. Well, he gets it on and what happens.....excessive blow bye and oil in the pipes.....he took it off and luckily got his money back. I wont install one ever again! I could make a killing off installing it but the product isn't worth it! And the problems afterwards and the costs to even try to fix it will piss you off and make you wish you went with a custom fab job or another reputable kit.

Red
    98 Trans Am

So, how does the oil exacly end up in the pipes and Are you talking the intake/exhaust by the turbo or somthing.
    Also when you say blowby are you tallking about a stock vetter or was it set up to run a twin turbo setup? any car not set up right is going to have problems if it isnt built up right in the first place.
    Dont get me wrong, im not for or supportive of STS, im seaching for a good turbo set up that doesnt require me to rip out parts and cut into supports and doesnt require me to take out a 2nd morgage.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Whats wrong with STS?
    oh and sorry..... whats right with STS

White
    1997 Pontiac Firebird

so besides blow by and oil, does it actually give the power gains they say it does or are they just blowing hot air

Red
    98 Trans Am

um, from what i have read from other people who are pro STS, they say that with 5 psi, you should look at around 400+ RWHP. Which aint too bad if you think abou it. You pack on an addtional 100hp from a relativly small, cheap, and affordable.

I still want an anwser of some type about oil in the pipes and blowby though.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

um, from what i have read from other people who are pro STS, they say that with 5 psi, you should look at around 400+ RWHP. Which aint too bad if you think abou it. You pack on an addtional 100hp from a relativly small, cheap, and affordable.

I still want an anwser of some type about oil in the pipes and blowby though.

400rwhp is routinely made with cam-only setups for $1000 or just over, you will NOT get into FI with reliability for under $8000 unless you do it ALL yourself, and if you have to post and ask, then unfortunately...

You aren't getting more posts because I'd bet there are already 3-4 "I wanna get a STS kit" threads in the first 2-3 pages of this section alone.

If you think that it's more affordable than any of the other kits, you have done zero research. You need to see how much it costs to get all of the crap they leave out. Every crappy worm clamp is trash and t-bolt clamps of quality aren't cheap. All of their couplers are cheap and will need to be replaced. If you don't wanna find out on the side of the road then have to re-do, you will swap them up front, and they are costly. A front mount intercooler setup is like $800 with piping (yes they lied when they claimed you don't need one; yes that makes them liars) and the blow off valve($), waste gate($), boost controller($), methanol($), fuel injectors($), fuel pump($), and then your whole driveline...

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    400rwhp is routinely made with cam-only setups for $1000 or just over, you will NOT get into FI with reliability for under $8000 unless you do it ALL yourself, and if you have to post and ask, then unfortunately...

You aren't getting more posts because I'd bet there are already 3-4 "I wanna get a STS kit" threads in the first 2-3 pages of this section alone.

If you think that it's more affordable than any of the other kits, you have done zero research. You need to see how much it costs to get all of the crap they leave out. Every crappy worm clamp is trash and t-bolt clamps of quality aren't cheap. All of their couplers are cheap and will need to be replaced. If you don't wanna find out on the side of the road then have to re-do, you will swap them up front, and they are costly. A front mount intercooler setup is like $800 with piping (yes they lied when they claimed you don't need one; yes that makes them liars) and the blow off valve($), waste gate($), boost controller($), methanol($), fuel injectors($), fuel pump($), and then your whole driveline...

ok.. first of all, homework and research is a matter of perspective. yes i know that all the quality crap cost money. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT.
    As for affordability, $4000 for a basic turbo kit (regardless of the quality) is kinda cheap. If you take a look at the texas rear turbo website and see their list of prices and you get an idea of the cost.
    AND finally, i just want to know about the oil blowby issue. that all, that it, see you later.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

The TRT kits actually fix and improve upon the STS shit.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

stay away from STS a year ago I called with a friken question and they wanted to get my credit card number! they are horrible salesmen and dont know what they are talking about. then they reply to your emails with some youtube videos honsestly thats a bunch of crap that they are claiming, shure its cheap 4k for a kitt but as frost said they leave out important components like BOV, Waste gate, fuel pump, intercooler, boost contol,

Thread Information