Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

STS=New Rearend??

Just wondering i am planning on buying an STS turbo and running at 5 psi soo i can shut this honda up at the track.. if i put a sts will it blow my stock rearend with 5 psi?? My friend who is a camaro freak says it will blow quick and should put a new 12 bolt in first wanted to ask you guys first thanks! oh ya the honda at the track runs 13.1... i wanna shut him up for good!

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

I think that you would be okay if you did an easy launch. Just don't hammer it all the time which is hard to do when you know you have the power. An upgrade would be smart in my opinion.

constant modder councelor hissin'98's Avatar

Black '98 Z/28 M6
    H/C/Turbo....why?

My stock rear held in there for a long while. Actually I never really blew it or broke anything although I did have to have it reset with new bearings after the track passes. I drove 3 hours to the track, ran 3 times with two clutch slips/dumps over 3,500, drove home and it was hummin. Put new richmond gears and worked perfect. However, not all rears are equal and I didn't want to push my luck and did a moser 9" for a reasonable 2,300 with a locker. I believe you should be fine for a few miles...

I would almost recommend installing the rear first with some gears and minor suspension upgrades, run slicks and put that hondu away w/o the turbo. You can always change gears whenever you plan on the turbo. This way you have a sturdy platform to build on.
    Black 98 Z28 M6
    HTC STS Turbo::ETP 225 11* Heads::Comp Cam::Moser 9::UMI stuff

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by 2000SuperSportMaro View Post
    Just wondering i am planning on buying an STS turbo and running at 5 psi soo i can shut this honda up at the track.. if i put a sts will it blow my stock rearend with 5 psi?? My friend who is a camaro freak says it will blow quick and should put a new 12 bolt in first wanted to ask you guys first thanks! oh ya the honda at the track runs 13.1... i wanna shut him up for good!
    With some basic bolt-ons you can get your car to run faster than 13.1! If you have an auto that is just a stall converter, headers, and drag radials. Those mods should put you in the mid 12's!
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Silver
    2002 Z28

Seriously, with only exhaust, tune, free mods, lid I ran 13.3 on a very hot day at the track. You should be able to beat him easily without a turbo. Turbo should not be your first mod, if you do, you need to get bigger injectors put in. If you put that in a stock auto, you will not brake the rear because it will have little chance of getting power there with the stock stall and shit gears. M6 might be different, but you need some basic mods before you get a Turbo.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Just read an interesting article in GM High-Performance I think it was about the GM 10-bolt......if I can find the magazine I'll let you know for sure but they were talking about "Upgraded" items you can throw in there to help it out......I never did like the fact that GM put the rear designed for a 6-cylinder in the F-body cars.....you put drag tires on and you will snap that thing in nothing flat!!!!

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Ok....it wasn't GM High Performance it was High Performance Pontiac....the November 2006 issue.....it's an article on how to beef up your 10-bolt to handle 425rwhp for $558.........to tell you how much I think about the 10-bolt...I gave mine away when I had Moser built me a 9"........

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by 2000SuperSportMaro View Post
    what are your mods so far, get headers thats a must for a turbo

pewtr
    2002 Trans am WS-6

i have a sts and im running low 12's on a stock ls1 the injectors and fuel pump come with the kit and about to pump up boost so i can be in 11's

Black
    87 Buick GN

There is no reason that you cant get a NA car in the high 12's with just basic bolt ons. Wewent 13.08 in my SS and the only mods at the time were a K&N and a Slowmaster muffler. Get a good set of D/Rs and learn to get that 60 down. The first 60 is what makes or breaks a close race like that.

Thread Information