Red
    1998 Z28

Stock Ls1 block strength

Stroked my motor to a 383, forged bottom end about a 9:1comp, turbo cam, AFR 225 heads, and my GT 88mm turbo is on the way. My question is what is the Ls1s blocks capabilities? I've heard before my build they can take about 1000 from a few pep. Now I got nervous and have been doing some reading and have been seeing recomend Iron block for over bout 750hp. Anyone running that kind of power on an ls1 stock block???

White
    1998 Trans Am

I believe that the stock bottom end weak link is the rods & rod bolts. Not the block.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I still use my stock block but I am only around 550 rwhp or so. They have lasted into the 1000 hp range and just what Bill said it was the block that was letting loose. I think you will be fine. Just don't skimp on the fueling for it and use methanol for added protection and you will be fine. How much boost are looking at throwing at it?
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Red
    1998 Z28

Yeah I plan on using meth inj. I am going to try and run as low boost as possible because I still have the stock 4l60e and really don't want to try my luck and break over 550rwhp on that trans. But I eventually would like to run anywhere between 16-20lbs.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Allday1017 View Post
    Yeah I plan on using meth inj. I am going to try and run as low boost as possible because I still have the stock 4l60e and really don't want to try my luck and break over 550rwhp on that trans. But I eventually would like to run anywhere between 16-20lbs.
    The main limiting factors with these cars are the stock rods and pistons but you are going forged. So you are taking that out of the equation. Then the trans and rearend. If you go fi don't skimp on fuel stuff either. Just start off with dual intank pumps delete your intank reg. and get aftermarket rails with a rail mounted regulator. That will get you started in the right direction. If you are planning to do meth as well than you will be ahead the game with that as well. Good luck with your build.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

M6 car with an aluminum block... 900ish RWHP and you will be on the edge of pushing water (lifting the heads). THIS is the real limit.

Red
    1998 Z28

Yeh I'm def all fuel upgrades. I need to try and find a used standalone ems too so if you anyone know where i can get a cheap one let me know!! And thanks for the support. Should be finishing the install tomorrow and wil let you know how it goes!

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Yeh I'm def all fuel upgrades. I need to try and find a used standalone ems too so if you anyone know where i can get a cheap one let me know!! And thanks for the support. Should be finishing the install tomorrow and wil let you know how it goes!
    I think you are trying to say standalone ECU. Why? Your stock computer with a custom tune will do what you are wanting to do. Many people use the stock ECU's into the 700-800 hp range with no issues. Remember tuning is the key to any FI set-up.

Red
    1998 Z28

I just always heard standalone engine management system haha. But I talked to the tunning shop and they said they could tune it but it would run into problems like it would throw my my car into limp mode. But if I get a new map sensor you think that would take car of it??

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    M6 car with an aluminum block... 900ish RWHP and you will be on the edge of pushing water (lifting the heads). THIS is the real limit.
    Does that also pertain to the LS6 block
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Definitely... that 900 is not in stone though. If your tune is aggressive it may happen in the 700s. If things work for you, you may make it to middle 900s.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I just always heard standalone engine management system haha. But I talked to the tunning shop and they said they could tune it but it would run into problems like it would throw my my car into limp mode. But if I get a new map sensor you think that would take car of it??
    I would stay away from whatever shop told you that. Depending how you want it tuned yes you can get a new map sensor and have tuned by speed density.

black
    1966 corvette

If you are thinking hat the trans will give up at 550 rwhp you don't need to worry about the block or the stock computer because you can make way more power than that with either one.

Thread Information