Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NAVY BLUE
    2002 FIREHAWK

Squires Turbo Systems (STS)

I have a 2002 Firehawk, pretty fast, but looking to boost power without permanently altering car. I read up on Squires Turbo Systems (STS) kits that are advertised as easily removable and with fantastic performance gains, mpg increase, and no lag time. Does anybody out there have real experience with STS? If so, are the claims on its web site and testimonials true (or close to truth)? What are goods and bads of STS kit?

thanks,
    Chitownkid

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No personal knowledge, but GMHTP just featured an install within the last few months. Here is a link to the article: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ger/index.html

NAVY BLUE
    2002 FIREHAWK

thx. good recent article. I saw some previous ones from 2006 -- very similar. seems interesting, but need to do more research. a couple of things worry me still.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

People make them work. I have also heard of oiling problems with the turbo for a lot of people. They do have have lag, and I have heard you cannot get away with the basic kit.
    Probably be happier with a
    procharger p1sc
    vortech
    magnacharger

White
    1998 Trans Am

If your going to spend the money Procharger all the way. If I had the cash I would go that way. Everyone I have seen has good results.and looks clean as hell.

Pewter & Mystic Teal!
    2002 CAMARO SS & 1999 TA

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    No personal knowledge, but GMHTP just featured an install within the last few months. Here is a link to the article: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ger/index.html
    my buddy just got this car

its really nice and now he has two sts camaros

only thing is i hope your car dont have lowering springs

other then that the kits are really good imo

edit the kit will scrape alot with lowering springs and forget about speed bumbs
    with stock springs i dont think it has ever scraped

bone stock 2002 m6 12.9 @ 108 woooohoooo!!!!!!
    bone stock 1999 m6 TA 13.4 @ 104 2.1 60' Still has a little more in her!

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

yeah chitown then you can bring it to me to install it for you ..

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Ugh...

I won't even take another STS 98-02 F-body as a tuning customer.

It you believe even HALF of what they say on their website, I would strongly suggest taking a step back and doing more research.

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

i just said i would put it in . haha nothing about tuning it ..

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

This is the first I have heard any negative about the "STS" kits. I have been considering one. What, specifically, are the problems with them?

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by chitownkid View Post
    I have a 2002 Firehawk, pretty fast, but looking to boost power without permanently altering car. I read up on Squires Turbo Systems (STS) kits that are advertised as easily removable and with fantastic performance gains, mpg increase, and no lag time. Does anybody out there have real experience with STS? If so, are the claims on its web site and testimonials true (or close to truth)? What are goods and bads of STS kit?

thanks,
    Chitownkid
    Long story short - I had bought a used kit a while back, and thought I did a good job researching their system. The good news is I figured out I didn't want to deal with it, before I installed it, and I sold it.

Also - I'd love to know how mpg is increased by installing a turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by parnelligq View Post
    This is the first I have heard any negative about the "STS" kits. I have been considering one. What, specifically, are the problems with them?
    If you have heard nothing negative about an STS kit then you have done ZERO research on it. Try using the search function on this site and tech you will find out all you need to know.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Lots of problems (I've heard) about them:

1 - They are a rear mount, which will always have more lag than a front mount set-up. Turbos run on exhaust gases and being that the turbo unit is so far from the exhaust gases by the time they reach it they are moving slow and are cooler. This isn't a good thing for a turbo.
    2 - You can see them installed from behind and under the car. It looks like crap to me.
    3 - They are under the car, unprotected, which they can easily be damaged by things like speed bumps, or even other debris in the road. Also, I wouldn't think it would take much to steal one!

I personally would only go with a front mount if I was installing a turbo. Otherwise, Procharger Supercharger hands down.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Lots of problems (I've heard) about them:

1 - They are a rear mount, which will always have more lag than a front mount set-up. Turbos run on exhaust gases and being that the turbo unit is so far from the exhaust gases by the time they reach it they are moving slow and are cooler. This isn't a good thing for a turbo.
    2 - You can see them installed from behind and under the car. It looks like crap to me.
    3 - They are under the car, unprotected, which they can easily be damaged by things like speed bumps, or even other debris in the road. Also, I wouldn't think it would take much to steal one!

I personally would only go with a front mount if I was installing a turbo. Otherwise, Procharger Supercharger hands down.
    This!!!

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I'll throw in another vote for a ProCharger, but I'm pretty biased. With any build (or modification for that matter) it's critical to know why you're doing it and what you're looking for to make a good choice.

I've had some people with very nice TT setups tell me they'd trade cars straight up because they miss the sound of a V8 with headers, plus you get the blower whine with the ProCharger. Of course that's all talk, but it's important to think about those things when investing this much money. It may be much faster but otherwise sound/behave like a stock car - this can be a good or a bad thing depending on your perspective.

I think a Supercharger setup is pretty ideal for the street on the whole while turbo setups seem to be more tailored for the track, but that's a blanket statement and by no means 100%. The ProCharger is going to be about as low maintenance as you can get and has less parts (moving and otherwise) than a TT setup or a setup routed to the back.

Turbo setups (with as much being equal as possible) will make more power and have better area under the curve, but without knowing your power goals that may be a moot point. A turbo could also put more stress on your drivetrain at the same boost levels as a CSC given the ramp rate up into boost can be quicker/harder as well.

Anyway, I'm sure many here could go on and on about differences and alternatives, but ultimately you need to find a setup that suits your personal needs and wants in the car. I would agree with others and suggest that if you're going to invest the effort, a nice single turbo front-mount setup with FMIC would be a great way to go. No method is going to be particularly cheap unless you're doing the work yourself and then you can custom fab a turbo setup rather than buying a CSC kit. Whatever you choose, keep in mind there's a huge difference between looking for deals and cutting corners.
    Nick

2002 Trans Am WS6 - 520rwhp
    D1SC @ 10lbs | FLT Level V - SS3600 - ARH 1 3/4" LTs w/ Catted Y-pipe - Corsa - Koni 4/3's - UMI Adj. LCAs and Brackets - UMI 3 Pt. SFC's - UMI PHB - UMI STB - TTM's (17X9, 17X10.5) - M/T ET Streets

NAVY BLUE
    2002 FIREHAWK

Nick - do you have the ProCharger? What did you have to add and/or replace (parts) to your Trans Am to get the 520 rwhp? Did you do the mods yourself or have a shop do it?

NAVY BLUE
    2002 FIREHAWK

BTW, I grew up on southside of Chicago and my folks later moved to Homewood. I know where Lemont is.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by chitownkid View Post
    BTW, I grew up on southside of Chicago and my folks later moved to Homewood. I know where Lemont is.
    Used to live in Glenwood Right next door. I'm in IN now, but work on the southside.

Nick has the Procharger and is running on a stock bottom end with a relatively conservative tune. Everything was installed by a professional shop in Naperville. I've been talking with him about his set-up as I'm getting a Procharger installed on mine come spring

NAVY BLUE
    2002 FIREHAWK

cool. please keep me informed on setup. I'm also thinking spring. Been getting mixed messages on STS vs. Procharger so I will continue to research. You should try AZ. Weather is much better to let the muscle loose on the vehicles. Thanks.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Chitownkid,

I have ProCharger's D1-SC, twin intercooled package with the 8-rib belt upgrade. I have a thread in Forced Induction with most/all the details, but as 35th mentioned (thanks for the assist), I am on stock internals right now, with 10psi at 6,300rpms. Only necessary upgrades outside of the kit are to the fuel system to keep up with the increased airflow. I have 60lbs injectors, KB boost-a-pump and a 255lph fuel pump to keep it fed, and wideband A/F, boost and trans temp gauges to keep on eye on things. IMO, much simpler than a turbo setup, but there are pros and cons to both for sure.

Outside of that, I would highly recommend some suspension/chassis upgrades to help get the power to the ground and street slicks are an absolute must to be safe and fully enjoy the power. If you're an auto, the trans is the weak link, but the rear should hold for a while. If you're M6, then both are in big trouble.

Always good to hear from others from the area. BTW, I think I'd take Arizona over the Chicagoland area, especially as winter gets closer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information