black
    1988 pontiac trans am gta

so many questions.. please help

So I'm considering forced induction on my 88 ta gta.. its the 5 speed 305 with 373 gears. I plan to take the motor out this winter and freshen it up a bit and maybe bore it but not sure yet.. some basic questions... Why do so many people twin turbo v8 s ? Would I benefit from a Single ? I want to keep it safe and controlled and not crazy because I have the stock t 5 tranny. I've heard so much on these cheap eBay turbo complete kits.. are they junk ? Also should i buy everything in a kit ? Or piece it together. Thanks guys

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

IMO - a turbo set-up is more geared towards track use where as a supercharger is geared more towards practicality and street use. One of the major disadvantages I found when doing my research for my supercharger build was that my particular engine (346ci LS1) is already a torque monster in the lower RPM range so I didn't want to be blowing the tires off the wheels when trying to take off from a dig. This is why I chose to go the centrifugal supercharger route. I can easily drive around time normal and get the same gas mileage if I wanted to, or close to.

I think for a single turbo, you will need to go with something like a 76mm trim. Anything smaller wouldn't really be worthy of the coin you're going to have to drop.

A twin turbo set-up, depending on sequential or one turbo per bank, will most likely spool a lot sooner and make boost quicker. That would be the only real advantage I can see. The other one (depending on your situation) would be room in the engine bay to mount it, assuming you are going the front mount turbo route (which I would strongly suggest). In some situations, larger single unit turbo's are difficult to mount under the hood.

FI is expensive, and you get what you pay for with it, just like anything else. The less expensive kits (STS to name one) comes with usually a ton of headache and a lot of poor quality and fitment issues.

Are you going to be running an intercooler? How much boost do you plan on running? Are you going to rip into the internals of the engine?

Any suspension, drive train, rear end, tires, clutch, transmission upgrades in the works to be able to handle that new found power and get it to the ground effectively?

You can piece one together or you can get a "kit". However, either route, these kits are universal and for "race" applications so anything you buy, even a kit, will most likely require some fabrication regarding the piping.

I guess it really depends on what your goals are for this car.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

black
    1988 pontiac trans am gta

Hmm supercharger makes sence .. this has me thinkin.. say I'm looking for like 320 to 375 HP. With stock internals. Still streetabl and reliable.. would a supercharger be cheaper ?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A supercharger build will most likely always be cheaper than a turbo set-up. A turbo will make more power though.

I went from 330rwhp with just a stock engine having full exhaust to 500rwhp on 8psi with a Procharger.

I would use that word "cheap" sparingly though. Nothing about FI is cheap.

Here is a thread to my build just for reference: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f11/my-pro...-kinda-153052/

Thread Information