black
    2001 camaro ss

roots blowers for ls1

first up sorry for long post, thanks if you stayed to the end. ive been over on ls1tech for awhile but figured id come over here and see how ls1.com is

so heres the deal ive got a 79 c3 corvette that i am going to do an ls1 swap into. just gathering parts now but the plan is to build a forged ls1, useing a stock crank. im going to go with a set of 317's and a blower cam, and a supercharger. up until now the plan was for a f1 procharger and to shoot for 650rwhp or more, however today i started looking into whipple.
    has anyone ever seen a whippled ls1? looking for some input on f1 procharger vs similar ranked whipple blower. whipples site is claiming to be an improvement over other chargers such as not having lag that centrifugal prochargers have or heat issues that other roots blowers have. was looking for someone non biased who has seen the truth and if whipples claims hold up. i have an 04 lightning for my wife's dd and i got to say i do like roots blowers and if whipple lives up to its claims and can hit my power goals then id prefer them over anything else.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

If you're looking into roots style superchargers i have seen people use magnuson superchargers with some modification

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I have seen a few roots style chargers on custom ls1 projects. The main issue with the f-body is hood and cowl clearance, which is why most people go with the procharger setup. I know Vortech makes one, and a few other companies. I say go for the roots if you can.

black
    2001 camaro ss

yes but has anybody seen the whipple setup before. i know about the vortech and the prochargers and the maggies, but i stay away form the maggie as it is a weaker blower and heat soaks alot.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Kenne Bell makes a roots for the LS1, its pricey but its badass, It wont fit on an Fbody, but maybe in your C3.

But if youre forging everything else, and putting on a blower...go for the forged crank as well

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by usnfenix View Post
    yes but has anybody seen the whipple setup before. i know about the vortech and the prochargers and the maggies, but i stay away form the maggie as it is a weaker blower and heat soaks alot.
    Whipple has an LS kit on their site
    Whipple Industries

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

LS1 crank will hold 1000 horse power. The stock cranks are stout.

Let us know what you choose. I'm biased so I can't comment
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

The quality and customer support of whipple trumps kenne bell hands down, but both blowers will put down similar numbers at the same boost levels.

green

hahahhahha
    Alex*/*/

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    If you're looking into roots style superchargers i have seen people use magnuson superchargers with some modification
    Ok Lesson time....whats the difference between ''roots style''...vs Pro-charger?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by usnfenix View Post
    Whats the word on Edelbrock superchargers?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Ok Lesson time....whats the difference between ''roots style''...vs Pro-charger?

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the word on Edelbrock superchargers?
    Roots style

Procharger

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A roots style blower will build boost immediately so you have a lot more low-end torque. A Procharger is a centrifugal blower so it builds boost as the RPM's increase.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

procharger system is a easier driving system. say you have 650rwhp and you have the procharger system, you can still drive around town and not kill your car at a light. the roots is harsher on takeoff. and when the gas is pressed the car wants to go. procharger or a turbo settup are the opposite. it takes time for them to spool up, or make boost.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

I had a magnacharger on my car. If u want the most bang for the buck kenny bell would b my 1st choice. There r reasons I didn't go with one. Whipple is a good charger, but for the price(over priced) that is. Kb with some modification. Imho is where it's at. I liked my maggie. Howerver, I could only get about 12psi out of it. What I liked was fit and finish. It fit wothout any modification. It was plug and play. Now I put a 90mm tb on it so I had to have a custom hood made. Hope it helps
    '04 gto M6 slp ceramic coated headers,B&m sport shifter,harrop cover,3.5"aluminum BMR driveshaft, BMR axle stubs, BMR Half shafts, BMR SFC's, loudmouth2 exaust,90mm FAST T/B,Magancharger(high helix upgrade)......other misc. suspension,Cross drilled, slotted rotors. Meth Kit, spraying @ 3psi and up

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 04yellowjacket View Post
    procharger system is a easier driving system. say you have 650rwhp and you have the procharger system, you can still drive around town and not kill your car at a light. the roots is harsher on takeoff. and when the gas is pressed the car wants to go. procharger or a turbo settup are the opposite. it takes time for them to spool up, or make boost.
    I agree somewhat, however my car eas very street friendly, and had torque from idle. You don't get that with a centri. My torque curve was way better than either.

Black
    2004 GTO

U guys r missing it. Spray meth and problem solved with heat. They all will make a ton of heat. Nothing a meth kit can't fix for under 400 and give u up to 40hp and a much safer tune. Up the timing and there ya go;-)

Black
    2004 GTO

U guys r missing it. Spray meth and problem solved with heat. They all will make a ton of heat. Nothing a meth kit can't fix for under 400 and give u up to 40hp and a much safer tune. Up the timing and there ya go;-)paying for the whipple name in my opinion, but its ur $ not mine...lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have a Procharger with a FMIC and meth and am making a ton of power with mild boost and my tune is extremely safe . The only thing I'm missing is all the cars around here that used to want to race me. Now they all turn their heads the other way when I'm next to them

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Well, there is this:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vo...silverado-1500

Just thought I would throw that in for the heck of it! Depending on the engine, you can make a 500 h.p. 5.3 or a 575 h.p. 6.0 and be real reliable from what I hear. Me? I am going turbo I think; just cause when I want/ need it, I can boost the pants off of the car! (now if I only had the $$!) One of the guys is in the 850 h.p. range with a Precision 7675 journal bearing turbo. But of course, he does break A LOT of parts! Saw another in the other forums talk about the 1100 h.p. in the 88mm turbo he has, but that is way too big for me! Please note that the turbo is slower to h.p., but that only saves the back tires for me; or at least I think it might- Please note that I am not an expert!, just a power junkie from the turbo motorcycle world in the recent past!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Now just add all your gauges, an intercooler, methanol injection kit, hardened push rods, upgraded valve springs, etc to bring the price up to 6K+. Plus a tune is $500. Add in the cost of fabrication too because no kit is plug and play. You'll always need piping to be tweaked. I'm sure I'm missing other things too.

And, that kit is for a Silverado with a different motor. You might need to do even more modifications on an LS1 in his particular car.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 07-03-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Thread Information