Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Red
    98 Trans Am

Rear Turbos... I know, but it was coming anyway :)

Well daddy got the iche for a rear turbo and ive been lurking hardcore for awhile on the topic Im putting together my own rear turbo system and taking everyones years of knowlege to put mine together.
    Im already in the process of procuring items. So far im on the hunt for a rear trubo system as the core and start from there and i might have found one. just working on the price with the guy but its pretty much in the bag. Just waiting on getting back home to finalize the sale.

Anywho! heres what im trying to get together for a nice decent semi-daily driver (i found a beater finally to take its place)
    Heres my goals. MODEST mind you so no im not makeing a 800hp monster... not yet at least until i get back to the states where american parts are easier to get.

450-500Hp goal with usable broad torque range.

Current MODs
    ENGINE
    LS1 with LS6 intake manifold, LS6 Valley pan with vent tube, LS6 style PCV system, 80mm TB, 85mm GM MAF, NGK tr6ix plugs .040 gap, MSD plug wires, LTH, 3" ORY, and a frost tune supported by a UMI RR K-member and poly mounts.

TRAN
    4L60E with 3200 Stall , B&M cooler, Trans Gauge, supported by a UMI trans mount.

Rear
    Stock 2.73s. Yeah i know, but i dont do 1/4 runs all the time, i actually drive my car. The autobahn likes lower gear ranges and so does high speed runs of 130mph plus

Heres what im looking at or for, for the turbo apps.

T70 A/R .83 rear turbo setup
    racetronic pump with hotwire kit
    60# Injectors (or more depending)
    Mocal Oil Pump
    oil cooler kit for turbo
    Catch can
    Wide band A/F Sensor
    Boost guage
    A pillar pod
    Self contained oil system (no engine tapping)

Items for down the road
    Ive been looking as well but price is redonkulous right now so im not getting that yet but comp turbo has a oil-less (yes you read that right) turbo that im VERY MUCH interested in but its like $12-1800 range.

So with all that said let the build, info, hazing, and whatnot begin. And no frost its not an sts build lol, and thank you for your recent tune, your the greatest!! cars running great.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 05-02-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Anyone have good pics of intercooler routes on firebirds that dont require losing the fog lights and im gonna have to compromise for now on the front liscence plate arear since im in germany. I can vent around it but its german law that I have a front license plate and it is STRICTLY enforced. Im wondering if a procharger style dual intercooler would be a better deal, but thats so complicated for intercooling.

green
    98 formula

Have you thought of using a meth kit? That would do away with the intercooler. I think if you keep the boost down. With a remote turbo may not need any kind of air cooling. My car had a remote turbo and even though sts claims no lag there was considerable lag. It however would have killed for high speed runs.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Ive considered a meth kit. Ill probalby do it near the end of the parts consalidation, but for now, im getting the turbo, piping and intercooling together. So far ive got an intercooler that willl fit without much underbumper modification. Im trying to do a FMIC with it but im not gonna hack up my front bumper. found my piping on ebay. Now im trying to find a T70 or T72 for a decent price. The oiling system is gonn abe stand alone. I dont want to tap into the engines oil. Im gonna get one of those B&M oil coolers with a fan thats fairly large to use as a "sump" and then pump it back. Not sure if i need two pumps or if onee can manage by itself. I know with this system, oiling wont be an issue and the oil lines wont be a source of issues to come. PLus i can control the oiling of the turbo better, and it leaves me no oil lines once i find an oil-less turbo to use and can get ride of the oil system entirly. Still would like to see some intercooler installs that dont hack up the bumper.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Need some advise on turbos specificly.
    Im torn between a T70 and T72 with eitehr a .84 or .96 AR turbine housing. I dont want to choke my motor, but i dont want to have to wait for boost to kick in at 4000+ RPM either. THe 3200 stall will help alot since the motor will be spinning faster to get spool up. ANy input?
    I think im gonna go with a T70 with .84 AR. I found one for a pretty good price and that should leave me sith some room to grow right?
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 04-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.

green
    98 formula

Unfortunatly its not that easy to figure the correct A R The stall may actually hurt spooling cause the turbo needs a load to create boost. I am in no way an expert on this. Hopefully someone else will chime in to help.

Red
    98 Trans Am

im using some of my info from junkyard turbos to size my turbo for my build and from what ive read from that, .81 ARs are a happy medium for steet setups. Im sure a larger turbo will yeld bigger power, but for now im just trying to make a fun car to drive.
    I actually found a T70 in that specific spec range that im gonna start with.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Alright, i found a T70 with .84 AR as my start. Nothing fancy, just a start. Im piecing together the piping off ebay, alittle welding on the long pipes to eliminate couplings to keep possible leaks to a minimum. Fortunatly, i can weld aluminum
    Now to get oiling started. Im going with a stand alone system. whats the best way to do this in the rear?
    Im going to find a Mocal pump to have a reliable oil pump. Not to expensive either.

Also I know to wrap the exhaust. Unfortunaly i have SS Longtube headers. Im gonn ahve to live with that until i get back to the states. My original manifolds are in a storage unit while im here in germany. But the I suspect that if i wrap from the collectors back could help keep heat in for the most part. Has anyone ever wrap the ENTIRE primarys from on LTs? I wonder if it would help.

ALSO lol are there any optimal charge pipe routing while retaining the drivers side SFC? I also was considering getting oval tubing for the long pipe to maybe get some additional ground clearnance. I was wondering if i could even route it in a total different way to clean up the undercarrage a bit.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 05-02-2011 at 02:30 AM.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I also want to do a turbo set up on my Trans Am. I have leftover turbo's, IC's and piping from my 300zx. Im interested to see how this will work and the how to's. Having a stand alone oil cooling system would be great, as I wouldn't want to buy a oil-free turbo, when I have 2 perfectly good ones laying around.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Have you looked at ATI's new FMIC for f-bodies that they just came out with this year?

That is the one I'm going with for my Procharger build.

Supposedly, all you have to do is relocate the fog light brackets. I'm not too sure on the details as I have a Camaro SS.

The fitment and piping is supposed to be pretty good though.

Also, there is no need to hack up the bumper to allow more air flow. You get plenty of flow from up under the air duct, where you normally would for the radiator.

You only need more air if you plan on running high amounts of boost. At least this is what I found in my research and after talking to multiple tuners/installers.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Ill look into that. I actually already found an intercooler off a beemer that is small enough to fit in the front. Im experimenting with other random intercoolers including a stock skyline intercooler.... dont ask lol.... ok ask Just seeing if i can get a compact intercooler somewhere. THe stock skyline intercooler is a bit like one of the prochargers twin intercoolers

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Ill look into that. I actually already found an intercooler off a beemer that is small enough to fit in the front. Im experimenting with other random intercoolers including a stock skyline intercooler.... dont ask lol.... ok ask Just seeing if i can get a compact intercooler somewhere. THe stock skyline intercooler is a bit like one of the prochargers twin intercoolers
    According to many tuners, the twin intercoolers aren't very efficient and can't really maintain low IAT's all that well for average boost applications, let alone higher boost applications.

This is why I decided to go with the FMIC. The new one is rated at 1300HP. That gives me a nice fuzzy.

I'm also going to be running a methanol kit from AlkyControl. Hoping between the two, there won't be a chance of knock...ever.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I wasnt gonna use a twin setup, but i was looking into small intercoolers to use as a FMIC to keep hacking to a minimum.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If (2) small ones don't do the job, I don't see how (1) small one is. Just my .02.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Im not gonna use a tiny one lol but not a giant one either
    im just test fitting. I havnt bought any of these intercoolers mind you just experimenting while i wait for the turbo and piping getting here.

Red
    98 Trans Am

had a question, would a 50mm wastegate be too big with a 8-10lbs?

green
    98 formula

I'm gonna say a 38 would do just fine.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I know 38-40s are pretty common and recommended for mild setups. I just was wondering if a bigger one can control it better? I seen a 50mm wastegate for a pretty low price so i was just wondering if that would hurt anything.

green
    98 formula

I doubt it would hurt anything.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I guess that would lead me into another question of, what would the difference be betweeen a 40mm and a 50mm wastegate... other then size of course lol. Obviously more "waste" can be evacuated but what are the other advantages/disadvantages?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information