Black
    2000 Trans Am

Rear mount turbo fab. What else doI need, or havent thought of

I currently have a true dual exhaust and shorty headers with SLP LM2 mufflers, After a really poor dyno session I am going to just ditch the shory headers for probably QTP LT or American Racing Headers LT also with a connecting 3 inch y pipe. I plan on running the pipe over the axle on the passenger side to a big single turbo like a Garrett T76. I was thinking on running the return pipe over the axle on the drivers side and back up to the front to a Air to Air intercooler mounted in front of the radiator. I have been trying to think this out but Im not sure where to put the wastegate. Do I have to move the radiator forward? Would it be a good idea? If it is an air to air intercooler should it be infront of the radiator? Can I run the SLP LM2 mufflers after the turbo if I have room and would the turbo affert the sound? I wasnt looking to run the turbo at full power just yet Im gonna have to get the engine rebuilt to handle it. But I figured that if I just ran 5-6 psi the engine and drive train could handle it. I do have a mechanic friend who is willing to help out with this so all the fabrication would be done with confidence. Is there anything else I would need?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Since you have someone that can help you with the fab work take a look at the STS web site.....they have some pics of their system on there and you can get some ideas off that......that's what I did.....you also have to think about a oil pump to bring the oil back from the turbo to the oil pan.....I tapped my pan and put the return above the oil line instead of having it run to the oil fill cap like the STS.....I would forget the LT's......use the stock manifolds if you still have them.....as far as the intercooler goes....well think about this......you're piping the air from the back of the car to the front...you'll basically get the same effect as an air-to-air intercooler with that......I would add a methanol injection system in the mix. They work wonders. The thing with air-to-air intercoolers is it only works to ambient temps....meaning that if it's 95 degrees outside then you're pretty much looking at inlet air temps still in the range of 120's.......with methanol you can get them down to the 90's.......I dyno'd my car and the temps went from 150's to 94........and you dont have to worry about losing pressure like you would thru an intercooler....

Thread Information