Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ram Air

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Ram Air

Is the Ram Air on the WS6 considered a cold air intake? Also, if I wanted to add one, how could I add another air induction with the Ram Air on there?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is actually a mod to open up the lower portion of the airbox to allow additional air in from below. You basically cut two rectangular holes in it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Ram Air

Do they direct you on how to do that when they sell you the Induction kits?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    Do they direct you on how to do that when they sell you the Induction kits?

Here's a link to a GMHTP article that has pics down the right side that show what is commonly referred to as the "free air mod": http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ons/index.html

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Cold Air

Thanks, i started checking it out last night. Alot of info on doing a dyno. I will check out the side vids today.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

SLP Intake

Is the Stock Ram Air or an SLP intake better?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Is the Stock Ram Air or an SLP intake better?
    I believe you mean SLP lid, not intake. When you go to an aftermarket lid (any brand for that matter), it removes the air resonator, which allows for a more direct air flow directly into the throttle body.

More air flow = more power.

FYI - All aftermarket lids result in the same net HP gains. Go with the one you can get the best price on. SLP is popular, but a lot of people also have fitment issues with the SLP lid.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I believe you mean SLP lid, not intake. When you go to an aftermarket lid (any brand for that matter), it removes the air resonator, which allows for a more direct air flow directly into the throttle body.

More air flow = more power.

FYI - All aftermarket lids result in the same net HP gains. Go with the one you can get the best price on. SLP is popular, but a lot of people also have fitment issues with the SLP lid.
    Yep I don't like my SLP lid. I had to force it to get it to fit right. Also had to add more insulation, it wasn't getting an airtight seal initially either. But when I asked about it, I got feedback from many members who said theirs fit perfectly, so you never know...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the SLP Blackwing lid that is no longer available. The fitment sucks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Any body know of a lid that fits well on the tall hood Ram Air on a 2002 Trans Am? Can the air resonator be removed on the stock lid?
    Do the performance bellows make much of a difference?
    Last edited by j nix; 09-08-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any body know of a lid that fits well on the tall hood Ram Air on a 2002 Trans Am? Can the air resonator be removed on the stock lid?
    Do the performance bellows make much of a difference?

My SLP lid fits just fine. You simply need to seat the lip of the lid behind the lower air box for it to all go together right. The lid is designed such that you remove the helmholtz resonator in its entirety. They also provide you with an extension hose for your secondary air feed that plugs into the side of the new lid.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My SLP lid fits just fine. You simply need to seat the lip of the lid behind the lower air box for it to all go together right. The lid is designed such that you remove the helmholtz resonator in its entirety. They also provide you with an extension hose for your secondary air feed that plugs into the side of the new lid.
    There are 2 SLP lid designs. The older ones fitment is much less optimal. Placing it "behind" doesn't matter on the older versions.

Impounded
    well..reading this made me confused..
    so if im replacing my induction... the brand doesnt effect HP results
    but it effects quality of product right?
    if you dont suggest SLP...what do you recommend to get/ stay away from (for a '99 Ram Air WS6)?

also how hard is it to replace the induction system?
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 09-09-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

You're not replacing the whole induction system when you put a lid on it. The lid is a re-engineered piece to remove the hemholtz chambers. Those chambers restrict airflow, they are there to lessen the intake moan on harder acceleration. The new lid flows much better than the stock setup, proven gains of about 10 HP on the dyno. With a stock type exhaust, you will definitely hear the intake roar more. It's not real loud, but you will hear the difference.

I sealed my WS6 hood with some 1/2'' heater hose and small screws on the bottom of the hood, and used foam tape on the other 3 sides. There is a debate about the mod to let in air from below, by cutting the lower part of the airbox. Some say their air filter gets way dirtier faster, and others say on hot days, with more hot air near the asphault, it is not as good as the air near the hood. So I stuck with the factory piece, removed the baffles in the hood, and sealed it. So now it is a sealed, CAI. I like to check it's effectiveness by opening the hood at the gas station, and feeling how cool (relatively) the intake is compared to other parts of the engine, that shows the CAI is working.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There are 2 SLP lid designs. The older ones fitment is much less optimal. Placing it "behind" doesn't matter on the older versions.

Thanks for the clarification Jon. I don't have any experience with the older style lids.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    You're not replacing the whole induction system when you put a lid on it. The lid is a re-engineered piece to remove the hemholtz chambers. Those chambers restrict airflow, they are there to lessen the intake moan on harder acceleration. The new lid flows much better than the stock setup, proven gains of about 10 HP on the dyno. With a stock type exhaust, you will definitely hear the intake roar more. It's not real loud, but you will hear the difference.

I sealed my WS6 hood with some 1/2'' heater hose and small screws on the bottom of the hood, and used foam tape on the other 3 sides. There is a debate about the mod to let in air from below, by cutting the lower part of the airbox. Some say their air filter gets way dirtier faster, and others say on hot days, with more hot air near the asphault, it is not as good as the air near the hood. So I stuck with the factory piece, removed the baffles in the hood, and sealed it. So now it is a sealed, CAI. I like to check it's effectiveness by opening the hood at the gas station, and feeling how cool (relatively) the intake is compared to other parts of the engine, that shows the CAI is working.
    so what about the FTP lid or a GMS lid? and that JAAM kit off of KYSpeed.com for our cars? would that help?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^don't know, maybe someone else does. As far as lids are concerned, a lid is a lid, but some fit better than others.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

I have the SLP Blackwing lid that is no longer available. The fitment sucks.
    I've never heard someone say that before. The Blackwing lid is the best one made by far, OEM quality or better. I had the SLP lid first and it was a piece of shit, always popping off and eventually cracked around the neck. Bought the Blackwing lid after that and love it, looks like stock unless you know what your looking for.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

So what are you saying exactly. You like the Blackwing and hate the SLP? The blackwing is made by SLP?

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Yes, and yes. You have the standard SLP lid (crap) and the SLP Blackwing lid. The Blackwing lid is just hard to find now since they are no longer made. I think they still go for ~$300.00.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information