red
    00 z28

problem after problem.

blew a head gasket, trans went out again! leaking water onto harmonic balancer..... should i just sell this thing? of course not! can anyone tell me if i need a special head gasket running 8lbs of boost? or do i just get a stock one? started pulling it apart tonite and im already sick of working on it i havent put any miles on it all summer. at least my trans is under warranty.

red
    00 z28

cant ever get a reply at this site guess ill go pay a mechanic for advice.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Answer: I'd spend the extra $$$ for the good head gaskets really. Cuz 8 lbs is not really that much when you consider potential boost levels of a given system. You say boosted is it SC, Turbo ? Either way I'd buy the good stuff and forget it. Good luck.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by boosted z View Post
    blew a head gasket, trans went out again! leaking water onto harmonic balancer..... should i just sell this thing? of course not! can anyone tell me if i need a special head gasket running 8lbs of boost? or do i just get a stock one? started pulling it apart tonite and im already sick of working on it i havent put any miles on it all summer. at least my trans is under warranty.
    You have to understand that modifying a car is typically gonna mean working on it alot more than when it's just stock. Of course boosting a motor creates alot more stress on everything so you have to roll with the punches. I know how frustrating it gets though...my setup has kept me feeling like I'm behind the 8 ball sometimes. Just hang in there and keep pluggin away cause when it's runnin'...it's bad ass.

For head gaskets, stock are pretty good. Especially at only 8 lbs boost. Stock is all I'm running and I'm at 9 lbs right now. I read that cometic brand makes a really good head gasket...you can opt for that. I recommend using ARP studs instead of bolts too. Where is the water leaking out from that's hitting the balancer? Hopefully replacing the head gasket fixes that too. The transmission sounds like a separate issue in itself. Again, a boosted motor is going to put excessive strain on other components. Hopefully your warranty will be covered.

Good luck and just expect that things will break but hopefully you got good parts and they won't fail.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Agreed! Although I'd still go with the better stuff just me though. I forgot to ask ealier but you say it's leaking coolant. Has it been over heated a few times? I'd have the heads checked for warping, before anything.

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

I agree with spending an extra 50-100.00 on good head gaskets. Question is what is your time worth to you to replace them if the stock fail (fairly big job). I do agree with the post above that 8# of boost isn't that much, but I would rather throw a couple more greenbacks at it and be lazy afterward. First new head gaskets, then look for leaks afterward.

red
    00 z28

yes, it over heated. i have an extra set of heads that have already been checked that im going to put on. when it builds pressure it is spraying water out on driver side towards the back of the motor, but it just drips on the harmonic balancer... so im pretty sure i have 2 different leaks. im a dummy when it comes to looking up the right parts, could someone give me a link to buy the cosmetic gaskets? also, my throttle sticks, a local mechanic told me that there is only 1 throttle body that you can run with boost and its 500 bux and he could get it for me, im sure he could for 500 bux. i already spent 500 on the one i have,and it dosnt stick when its off the car, i think it has something to do with the bracket that holds the throttle cable. i have a professional products intake and cant find a throttle bracket for it, so i have one rigged up. lol thanks for the help!

red
    00 z28

ntimid8r your right when it runs its bad ass but when its down makes you want to kill yourself before you tear it all apart again. lol

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

yes, it over heated. i have an extra set of heads that have already been checked that im going to put on. when it builds pressure it is spraying water out on driver side towards the back of the motor, but it just drips on the harmonic balancer... so im pretty sure i have 2 different leaks. im a dummy when it comes to looking up the right parts, could someone give me a link to buy the cosmetic gaskets? also, my throttle sticks, a local mechanic told me that there is only 1 throttle body that you can run with boost and its 500 bux and he could get it for me, im sure he could for 500 bux. i already spent 500 on the one i have,and it dosnt stick when its off the car, i think it has something to do with the bracket that holds the throttle cable. i have a professional products intake and cant find a throttle bracket for it, so i have one rigged up. lol thanks for the help!
    Sorry to mention this, but possibly the block? Bad sealing surface?

red
    00 z28

oh no not the block!!!!!!!!!!!!! could that be fixed or does that mean its trashed? and can i tell by looking at the gasket if its leaking on the block side or head side? just got off work now im not going to be able to sleep, might have to tear it the rest of the way down to get a look at it.

red
    00 z28

ntimid8r i can not see where the water is coming from on the front, looks like the water pump or something close.

red
    00 z28

smittro im running a vortech centrifugal sc

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

ntimid8r i can not see where the water is coming from on the front, looks like the water pump or something close.
    Well you may need to look into the water pump as a source of the leak. They do go bad. Have you filled your coolant system, wiped everything dry, run the motor and watch for leaks?

I suggest going through your whole motor at this point. Only a suggestion but you can fix and patch all the little issues but if something else goes bad or wrong then you'll kick yourself for not looking at everything. Also you can look into building the motor for boost (i.e. blower rings, pistons, cam, etc.) plus machining of the heads or getting different heads.

All boils down to money and what you can afford to do. But as I mentioned in the previous post...once you modify motors you've opened the door to chaos. Everything has to work together and if you increase the value of one component and not others....issues begin. But don't get discouraged...this task will make you very knowledgeable in the end.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Wink

Exactly why I'm staying stock this time with just simple bolt-ons . I enjoy driving too much to put up with constant breakage . Been there done that.
    Too much money -stress-sleepless nights etc. etc.
    I'm a much happier man now . All show and a little go from now on !

red
    00 z28

it is so hard to see around my supercharger, i have torn it down now so i wont be able to run it. im on a limited budget so the internals is out of the question right now. i have a blower cam, 3000 stall, 96mm intake 92mm tb, stock internals. i was thinking about having some work done on my heads but they are just stock heads and i think it would be a waste of money because im looking into getting the afr heads when i can afford it. right now im trying to make it run. if i get a thicker head gasket it would take some compression away wouldnt it? i dont plan on spending the money on the ls1 block if i have to do something like that i would go with the 6.0 iron block.

phantom black
    2006 GTO

I feel your PAIN, I have twin turbos on my baby, but damn I can remove them with my eyes closed I also cry alot ....because their is no money but when you kill a corba......well no words can match that SMILE don't give up! there will be storys to tell your kids. Remember leaving them in the dust is better than being in it, so pump it up, suck it up see you in the mean streets.

Thread Information